Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Missed Steve's post before. Holy crap man! That's a freaking beast! DUAL 1080's. I can't even imagine.

Quick update. I snagged a 1080Ti for $450, and flipped my GTX1080 for $250. Not shabby! Here is the before and after benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20287009

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20290284

Wtf?!? You spent $200 to go...from a 1080 to a 1080 TI?!?
Should have spent a few more dollars and gone next gen, dude. And maybe those benchmarks are more impressive then they look but they look pretty mediocre. Desktop performance went up... 5%? Gaming... 14% Why WOULDN'T you go with a 2080?
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
/EDIT/ Aha. Didn't scroll down. Those look a little better but still. Brah. BRAH! NEXT GEN MAN! If you're going to spend the money. GO BIG! :D /END EDIT/

I just bought a 2070 for $365 and flipped my 1070 for $165. So I spent $200 but I at least went next gen...
Helloooo Ray Tracing! :D

Playing Control right now. OMG. So good I don't want it to end. And the reflections with RTX are jaw dropping.
https://controlgame.com/

Last edited:
I'm a little weary of used 10-series GeForce products. Literally the entire used market for a long while were being bought up to be heavily used for crypto mining before it went bust in January of 2018 so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a short lifespan due to being pegged at 100% loads for however long they were run.

I took the gamble. As you can see, that benchmark is 3mo old. No issues.

For new was looking at maybe a 2060 Super to replace my 980. I upgraded to a 1440p (I didn't like reading text on 4k, so 4k is not in my future) and the 980 struggles a bit on some games and I imagine won't be good enough for Cyberpunk2077 on full with 1440. If I go used though, I may look for a 2070 if I can find one for that sort of price there 7. Figured $400ish was a good budget to work with.

Also couldn't care less about Ray Tracing. It'll be another gen or 2 before that can really be showed off.

Missed Steve's post before. Holy crap man! That's a freaking beast! DUAL 1080's. I can't even imagine.

Wtf?!? You spent $200 to go...from a 1080 to a 1080 TI?!?
Should have spent a few more dollars and gone next gen, dude. And maybe those benchmarks are more impressive then they look but they look pretty mediocre. Desktop performance went up... 5%? Gaming... 14% Why WOULDN'T you go with a 2080?
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
/EDIT/ Aha. Didn't scroll down. Those look a little better but still. Brah. BRAH! NEXT GEN MAN! If you're going to spend the money. GO BIG! :D /END EDIT/

I just bought a 2070 for $365 and flipped my 1070 for $165. So I spent $200 but I at least went next gen...
Helloooo Ray Tracing! :D

Playing Control right now. OMG. So good I don't want it to end. And the reflections with RTX are jaw dropping.
https://controlgame.com/

The 2080ti is the only upgrade from a 1080Ti that matters, really, and that was another $1K outlay. Why bother with that when you can snag a 3080 in another year or two for cheaper? I gained, on average, about 20-30 frames in PUBG at 1440p, maxxed, and Ghost Recon is averaging 70fps with everything maxxed at 1440p on the "test" run, while a friend of mine is getting around 60ish fps with medium-ish settings on 1440p with a 1080gtx. I think you're under-estimating how much of a bump it really was. Thats 11G vs 8G with similar clock speeds.

I am not at all sold on RTX yet, and if you remove that from the equation...

This is t he 1080 vs the 1080Ti
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603

This is 2080 vs 1080Ti
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080/3918vs4026
No way I'm spending the money to go 2080 when the 1080ti cost me only $200 net.

This is the only real upgrade available, and like I say, I'm maxxing settings on every game I have (Modern Warfare pegs out at 100-130fps, PUBG at around 90-120, Ghost Recon at 55-75, but it was so glitchy I stopped playing it until they get it fixed):
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/3918vs4027

SLI sounds sexy, but many games don't really leverage it, so you would have done better to snag the next card up vs. SLI'ing that card. A 2080Ti would annihilate SLI'ed 1080Ti's in all but 1 or 2 games.

Last edited:
For new was looking at maybe a 2060 Super to replace my 980. I upgraded to a 1440p (I didn't like reading text on 4k, so 4k is not in my future) and the 980 struggles a bit on some games and I imagine won't be good enough for Cyberpunk2077 on full with 1440. If I go used though, I may look for a 2070 if I can find one for that sort of price there 7. Figured $400ish was a good budget to work with.

Also couldn't care less about Ray Tracing. It'll be another gen or 2 before that can really be showed off.

The 1080Ti might be cheaper, and will hang with a 2080RTX. As long as they didn't OC the hell out of it, I'd have no issues buying a used GPU.

The 1080Ti might be cheaper, and will hang with a 2080RTX. As long as they didn't OC the hell out of it, I'd have no issues buying a used GPU.

Maybe, but at this point any used 1080 Ti's are also several years old. I am just highly weary of used cards in this particular gen.

But it along with the 2060 Super, 2070 are currently in consideration. Looked at a 5700 XT too, but drivers and temps look to be total dogs*** again so it's crossed off.

Shame because I'm really tired of Nvidia price gouging.

Maybe, but at this point any used 1080 Ti's are also several years old. I am just highly weary of used cards in this particular gen.

But it along with the 2060 Super, 2070 are currently in consideration. Looked at a 5700 XT too, but drivers and temps look to be total dogs*** again so it's crossed off.

Shame because I'm really tired of Nvidia price gouging.

I've never seen a 10 series die. I just dont feel like it's an issue I guess. Mine was used for mining I believe, and it's fine. Works great. Had it for months and looked new when I got it.

I've never seen a 10 series die. I just dont feel like it's an issue I guess. Mine was used for mining I believe, and it's fine. Works great. Had it for months and looked new when I got it.

I'm probably being over-cautious and don't need to be to be honest.

A new GPU isn't on my immediate list. I'll probably be looking closer to March or so. We'll see what the used market looks like then.

I'm probably being over-cautious and don't need to be to be honest.

A new GPU isn't on my immediate list. I'll probably be looking closer to March or so. We'll see what the used market looks like then.

Probably the same honestly. Those who wanted to dump 1080ti for 2080ti did so already, and nothing sill replace 2080ti by then, and the bitmining crunch seems over.

I don't know unob.. I pad $200 and I'm good for 3 more years. Pretty happy with the 2070.

Those who wanted to dump 1080ti for 2080ti did so already, and nothing sill replace 2080ti by then

Disagree. Only the early adopters did. The rest of us have been waiting.

Control shows off ray tracing pretty well. It's ******* cool for paying only $200. :D The first time I saw a reflection of my character in a window was pretty cool to see.

I don't know unob.. I pad $200 and I'm good for 3 more years. Pretty happy with the 2070.

Disagree. Only the early adopters did. The rest of us have been waiting.

Control shows off ray tracing pretty well. It's ******* cool for paying only $200. :D The first time I saw a reflection of my character in a window was pretty cool to see.

I think the ti is the better card, especially given how soul-sucking RT is on fps.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4029vs3918

Those who wanted to dump 1080ti for 2080ti did so already

Sure, and that's an extremely small number of people.

2080 Ti is an $1100+ card. Some models more like $1200 - $1400. As a GeForce branded product, it's stupid.

1080 Ti launched at $700 MSRP. Still too much in my opinion as Nvidia has slowly bloated it's flagship pricing over the years, but at least was in line with their 980 Ti and 780 Ti pricing. This whole Ray Tracing generation is just stupid for consumer level GeForce cards at this stage....in my opinion. Give it a couple more generations. Paying $1200 is stupid. DLSS....another fail for this gen, but you pay for it. ;)

Sure, and that's an extremely small number of people.

2080 Ti is an $1100+ card. Some models more like $1200 - $1400. As a GeForce branded product, it's stupid.

1080 Ti launched at $700 MSRP. Still too much in my opinion as Nvidia has slowly bloated it's flagship pricing over the years, but at least was in line with their 980 Ti and 780 Ti pricing. This whole Ray Tracing generation is just stupid for consumer level GeForce cards at this stage....in my opinion. Give it a couple more generations. Paying $1200 is stupid. DLSS....another fail for this gen, but you pay for it. ;)
Rumor is the 3080ti will be cheaper than the 2080ti.

Paying $1200 is stupid. DLSS....another fail for this gen, but you pay for it. ;)

Yea, I paid $200! :D

IMO the 70 series has always been the sweet spot for Price > performance ratio. I'd never go with an 80 series which was my point to Unob because I upgrade too frequently. Price > Perf is more important to me that flat out performance.
If there's a perf hit running RT or DLSS it isn't affecting my actually gameplay at all.
And that brings me back to: I don't chase Frames Per Sec. I have no idea what am I getting in Control or BF. Runs great. Looks gorgeous. GOod enough for me.

Game chat:
I did the $99 Origin Premier thing. $99 and you get to play just about all EA games for 12 months. Playing a lot of games I otherwise wouldn't. Canceled right away so it doesn't auto renew.

IMO the 70 series has always been the sweet spot for Price > performance ratio. I'd never go with an 80 series which was my point to Unob because I upgrade too frequently. Price > Perf is more important to me that flat out performance.
If there's a perf hit running RT or DLSS it isn't affecting my actually gameplay at all.
And that brings me back to: I don't chase Frames Per Sec. I have no idea what am I getting in Control or BF. Runs great. Looks gorgeous. GOod enough for me.

Traditionally this has always been true, but I feel that is less so over the past 2 gens. Traditionally the x70 card has been a slightly cut down x80 card (same chip or variat of same chip, fewer CUDA cores, maybe different bus-width/memory config). With the 10 and 20 series, the x70 is not even the same chip as the 80 card, not the same memory type or bus width which definitely makes it not as attractive as it once was for the price.

Game chat:
I did the $99 Origin Premier thing. $99 and you get to play just about all EA games for 12 months. Playing a lot of games I otherwise wouldn't. Canceled right away so it doesn't auto renew.

**** EA.

I've just been replaying the Witcher series after watching the Netflix series over Christmas/New Years. Although really clunky combat mechanics, I forgot how much I really enjoyed the first game.

I was refering to this comment specifically re: I only paid $200!

"DLSS....another fail for this gen, but you pay for it."

Because the 70 does it. Although I honestly have no idea what the actual F that does. LOLOL

All the big guys suck anymore. Epic, EA, Bethesda... I'm enjoying Madden. Hey look, the Browns are going to make the play offs! :D

I've just been replaying the Witcher series after watching the Netflix series over Christmas/New Years. Although really clunky combat mechanics, I forgot how much I really enjoyed the first game.

One game I've never played. Maybe I'll consider that after Control. Control is the most fun I've had in awhile on a SP game. I'm like drawing it out because I don't want it to end.
Still playing the hell out of Beat Saber on my Rift. Cannot get enough of that. :D

Yea, I paid $200! :D

Game chat:
The 1080 was definitely a performance hit vs. my 1080Ti. WIth my Ti, I can crank graphics to max and still have good smooth gameplay in some games that allow only mid-settings with the 1080 before frames tank.

"DLSS....another fail for this gen, but you pay for it."

Because the 70 does it. Although I honestly have no idea what the actual F that does. LOLOL

It's the "Deep Learning" Super Sampling. Complete fail of a feature.

All the big guys suck anymore. Epic, EA, Bethesda...

Sadly quite true these days.

Back