Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Considering these were $400 used a couple years ago, meh. But still, not a bad way to go. For the money, will beat the $400 2060 Super no contest.

It's like Fortnite but good. :D
Not a big fan of BR games but I like Apex: Legends. It's all about killing, not building a house. Looking at you lame Fortnite...

I just keep playing 7 Days to Die.

Have you guys seen the latest Ampere rumors? Top end 3090 (presumably 2080 Ti replacement)....$1399. 😂

Also, supposedly the triple slot FE cooler:
attachment.php

Not sure I buy that this is the cooler, looks very odd (and there is another fan on the back of the card). And the proportions just look off with that 2080 comparison.

Last edited:
Yea, that's insane. This could be my last Nvidia card. :D

2070 right? That's what bothers me about Nvidia. They release the 2070 and 2080 and then a year later here's the Supers which is what you really should have gotten at the beginning. The Super series is all the proof you need for Nvidia just sandbagging lol.

Yeah AMD or Nvidia, I am willing to spend maybe $700 max this gen to upgrade my 980. And that up to $700 better buy me at least 20%+ better performance than the 2080 Ti. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:
Planning out new build. Already decided on a Zen 3 platform.

Graphics will be whatever looks good in the $500-$700 range from either AMD or Nvidia.

Case I am looking at either the Fractal Design Meshify S2 or the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic (not sure if regular or XL at this point). I think I am leaning towards the Fractal case since every watercooler and their mother seems to be doing the Lian Li case to death.

And I am never using EK blocks for watercooling ever again if I can help it. Their plating is s****.

So 3080 reviews are out. The more I see it, the less impressed I am considering the huge increase in power draw. Would have been better if they were able to manufacture on TSMC 7nm instead of Samsung 8nm which is really just a half-node from Turing and a refinement on Samsung 10nm.

Will have to see what AMD throws out in October, but I am already getting Fermi (GTX 480) vs HD 5000 (5870) vibes again 10 years later.

I mean I only read one but it was pretty damn impressive?!?!

Sure it's top dog, but its basically 15-30% more performance over 2080 Ti for 15-30% more power draw? That's not impressive from a technical/architectural level. Also means higher electricity costs over time, and heat the hell out of your room.

I think the power draw gives AMD an opportunity to potentially be competitive on the perf/watt space and would be a clear winner if they can match the 3080, unless you require RTX/DLSS 2.0. That said, their driver debacle with the 5700 series leaves me weary of them.

I'm going to wait and see what Big Navi brings to the table. I'll probably end up with an Nvidia card, but who knows. As a watercolor, not really thrilled about the increased power draw/heat of the new series. Just more heat dumped into the room I don't need.

I mean... power draw? I don't give a **** about power draw. You live in CO, I live in OH.... don't mind if my rig can heat up my space a bit. :D and we're only talking pennies here.

I mean... power draw? I don't give a **** about power draw. You live in CO, I live in OH.... don't mind if my rig can heat up my space a bit. :D and we're only talking pennies here.

Well I don't think efficiency should be left behind when designing new and better chips. Hell the 3080's and 3090's from the AIB's are unstable, they had to back off the clocks they shipped with with a driver update and they are spiking to 500W...ridiculous. That's not a gen on gen improvement architecturally, really. Kepler, Maxwell, Pascall (700, 900, 10 series respectively) show that you can have efficient gen on gen improvements that perform. Also outside of Control and Doom Eternal, RTX improvements are not really all that. As far as I am concerned, Ampere is just like Fermi 1.0 (GTX 480) and I am sure we will see an Ampere refresh 6 months from now just like Fermi did (GTX 580). 3080 and 3090 seems like Nvidia rushed to be first to market on next gen and cranked these things balls to the wall. I'm sure them being on Samsung 8nm is also part of the problem. That said, TSMC 7nm is tapped, so guess there wasn't really a choice, but despite the name 8nm is just a refinement of their 10nm process.

Anyway, swapped my PC into a new case this weekend. Ran out of black tubing and Micro Center only had white in my size. I also managed to commandeer an old unused set of rAM that just happens to match, so I think it works for now. Radiators are a bit small for this case, but like I said, just a swap from old smaller case. When I actually build a new rig in this thing next year will probably try my hand at hardline tubing.

20200929_135931.jpg

20200929_135411.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure we will see an Ampere refresh 6 months from now just like Fermi did (GTX 580).
Interesting prediction...Think they’ll do a “Super” iteration that might be more efficient? What about a 3090ti? Possible?

Great build btw, looking forward to see your next one! (y)

Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, Dying Light 2, Tomb Raider...
I WANT MY RTX! :D

That case is gorgeous bro. OMG. LOVE IT.

So what are we playing?
ME:
Apex Legends
Doom Eternal
UT still and always
Madden 21

Interesting prediction...Think they’ll do a “Super” iteration that might be more efficient? What about a 3090ti? Possible?

Great build btw, looking forward to see your next one! (y)

Thanks! I doubt we'll see a 3090 Ti or proper Titan card while they are on Samsung 8nm silicon. I believe the power reqs are why we have a 3090 instead of an Ampere Titan. For $1500, the 3090 is still not a fully unlocked GA102 chip so they only called it "Titan class".

If they can get some sort of refinement or else a 7nm design with TSMC, we will probably see some refresh for the 3080 at least. However they end up doing it, I absolutely believe we'll see a refresh gen for Ampere just like Fermi had.

Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, Dying Light 2, Tomb Raider...
I WANT MY RTX! :D

That case is gorgeous bro. OMG. LOVE IT.

Thanks man!

RTX is iffy in most implementations, where only some games really pull it off well imo. Waiting to see what happens with Cyberpunk.

So what are we playing?
ME:
Apex Legends
Doom Eternal
UT still and always
Madden 21

7 Days to Die mostly.

It's a fun time for PC Hardware now, we've got the recent RTX launch and soon we should be seeing new CPUs and GPUs from AMD right?

Yea, they just announced a new mid ranger 2 weeks ago and there's something in the pipe that Colorado referenced as Navi above and I think ....GoogleGoogleGoogle... /confirm AMD is calling it RDNA2 should be announced pretty soon.

\\edit\\
No apparently the card announced 2 weeks ago IS the flagship competitor.

Damn, still? Do you play MP or single?

MP right now. Having fun with it. Hard server.

It's a fun time for PC Hardware now, we've got the recent RTX launch and soon we should be seeing new CPUs and GPUs from AMD right?

Zen 3 CPU's announcement will be 10/8 and Big Navi (RDNA2) will be 10/28 (presumably the 6900 XT but not sure on naming scheme yet). Likely a November launch, but not sure.

Yea, they just announced a new mid ranger 2 weeks ago and there's something in the pipe that Colorado referenced as Navi above and I think ....GoogleGoogleGoogle... /confirm AMD is calling it RDNA2 should be announced pretty soon.

\\edit\\
No apparently the card announced 2 weeks ago IS the flagship competitor.

Yeah, most people just call it "Big" Navi as they never did a high-end release for Navi (RDNA) which top card currently is the mid-range 40 CU 5700 XT. Big Navi reportedly will be an 80 CU card with some leaks suggesting a higher than 50% perf/watt uplift for RDNA2 from RDNA on a refined TSMC 7nm process node, so should theoretically compete with Nvidia's high-end Ampere. Not sure which rumors to believe at the moment. Some say close to the 3080, but not topping it. Others are saying AMD is not impressed with Ampere so maybe they'll kill it? Who knows. Considering the hype that surrounded previous releases like Vega 56/64 that ended up being total duds, guess we'll see. I am weary of the leaks/hype.

That said, AMD really righted there ship with the CPU department coming out of the Bulldozer disaster era with 3 generations of Ryzen now, so here's hoping the Radeon Technology Group can pull off the same. I am cautiously optimistic. Navi has definitely been a better architecture than GCN was when it comes to perf/watt. Though their drivers were a mess for a while, so that is another concern.

If it sounds like I want AMD to pull it off, it's because I do. Nvidia has become very anti-consumer and sneaky with their marketing and most buy into it forgetting GPU history. I kept seeing people on forums and youtube videos calling the 3080 and 3070 "cheap". Like...really? They are the same price as the 2080 and 2070 which were both price hiked from previous gens with the lowest gen on gen performance uplift in Nvidia history, and we all said that was dumb. Why is Ampere getting a pass now? I really don't get it right now.

I just want some competition in the high-end again. In 2010 a fully unlocked GeForce chip cost $500. These days Jen-Hsun says **** it we can get away with charging you $1500 and it's still nota fully unlocked chip and people have bought into that. Look no farther than Kepler which aged horribly as an architecture, and had 4 different releases of GK110 chip where the original GTX 780 was so severely cut down, the $1000 original Titan was not even the full chip, and then AMD surprised everyone with the R9 290X that beat the 780 and traded blows with the Titan for $550 and then you finally got the full unlocked GK110 chip in the 780 Ti for $700. Stupid. Don't get me started on the GTX 680, 980, 1080, and 2080 which all use midrange Gx-104 chips yet still use the xx80 product naming and pricing. Historically 8 has always meant high end going all the way back to the 6800, so it's clever marketing on Nvidia's part. Giving you less for more by confusing the product stack with the same naming schemes but shifting chips and pricing. Give us more for less!

Thanks for listening to my ranting on Nvidia.

Last edited:
Back