Smartphone USB Port Doesn't Charge Phone

:
2020 CX-5
Or at least it seems that way on my 2020 Signature. If that is so it seems a bizarre choice for smartphone integration. Has anyone else experienced this?

The USB port adjacent to the diagram of the phone both connects to CarPlay AND charges my iPhone 11 Pro Max without issue.

The unmarked port is low-power, doesn't interface with CarPlay, and allows the phone to drain its battery.

If you're connected to the correct USB port and the phone isn't charging, you might want to try another cable.

I agree with the comments above. I had the same problem and I lost a lot of nerves, looking for a reason in everything. I changed three cables until I found a suitable one. And all cables were not cheap. And I do not know what they are made of, but they work poorly and for a short time.

So maybe the problem is not in the car

With android, you need to put usb port on phone for both data and charge.
Dont know about Iphone.

I will try playing with some cables I have. The non-smartphone USB port appears live even when the car is off. Anytime I plug the phone in on that port the phone immediately shows it is charging and the current percentage of charge. Maybe the smartphone USB port is only powered when the car is on. I'll do some more testing this weekend.

Thanks.

For charging my Android phone I just use one of those cigarette lighter type plugs that has a micro USB plug on the other end and plug it into the 12V socket in the storage area in front of the gear selector lever. No issues at all.

Back