Smaller aftermarket key fob for 2020 CX-5?

Seems many don't mind the large key fob so maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in carrying a keyring that looks like I'm the maintenance man. I don't need a key fob that's larger than my house, office, and mailbox keys combined

That's another thing, what was the reason for the larger keyfob? I'm sure others would be more likely to tolerate it if the larger size meant that they could use a better antenna resulting in better range, or something like that. To my knowledge, the range and general function is the same as the previous version.

You could buy the smaller fob style and get it programmed.

Hello - Can anyone confirm whether this previous version Mazda fob will work with the 2020 CX-5 (which has the new-style fob)? Thanks

I just picked up my 2021, upgrading from a 2018. I want my old fob back. I'm used to having my keys in my pocket all the time, but the new fob is so big, it doesn't fit on the keyring very well, especially with any other keys. I'm thinking about other options – but what is everyone else doing? I don't want to go to a carabiner, and I'm afraid if I separate my keys (work, etc.) from my fob, I'll lose one or the other. Any suggestions?

Call the dealer to ask if the previous keyfob design can be programmed to the 2021. If it can, find out how much the reprogramming costs, then find out how much a used 2018 keyfob costs. At that point you can decide whether the cost is worth it.

"Honey, is that a Mazda FOB in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" :love:
Seriously. I've the standard one (middle of that image-2017/2018) and with a keyring for my hitch lock, bike lock and beer opener, the damn thing is a nutcracker!
Glad I don't have that newer FOB. Else I might have to leave the bike/hitch keyring somewhere in the vehicle, defeating the purpose of having it with me.

I got a 3rd key fob with uncut key, for my 2018, for $50. Had local locksmith cut and program, I think that was $80.

Key Fob.jpg

One possible way to carry it around

Back