Sluggish Key Fob

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I am finding that when I go to open the car doors first thing in the morning I have to press the "open" key fob button numerous times before it will activate. After that for the rest of the day the "open" button works normally on the first try. The battery in the fob is only a few months old. My house where the fob is kept when not in use typically has a humidity level of 80-90% what with being located in a cloud forest. I wonder if if it's the humidity in the house it what's causing the fob to be sluggish first thing in the morning. Any ideas?

My guess is that the battery is not making the best contacts. Remove battery and wipe with alcohal and replace without touching to top or bottom contact surfaces. Ed

That makes perfect sense. I've done what you suggested and will try it in the morning. Will report back. I may have touched the contact surfaces of the battery with out thinking when I installed it some time ago.

Last edited:
I am finding that when I go to open the car doors first thing in the morning I have to press the "open" key fob button numerous times before it will activate. After that for the rest of the day the "open" button works normally on the first try. The battery in the fob is only a few months old. My house where the fob is kept when not in use typically has a humidity level of 80-90% what with being located in a cloud forest. I wonder if if it's the humidity in the house it what's causing the fob to be sluggish first thing in the morning. Any ideas?
How low the temperature is in the morning? Does the second key fob have the same symptom? I wouldn’t rule out the key fob battery is weak. How bright is the small red led indicator on the key fob when you presss the buttons? You could have a counterfeit battery which would last only a short period of time.

Morning temperature is about 55 to 60 F. I didn't check the indicator light brightness before following erhayes" suggestion but it is bright now. Thanks.

Well I went out to the car this morning and the key fob worked perfectly on the first try so erhayes thank you very much!

That's good information for all battery applications, like kids toys, watches, mini flashlights etc.
Thx.

Back