Sloppy clutch~ Sloppy clutch~ How do I fix you~

utmorpheus

:
13 Mz2 Touring MTX
Autocrossing my 2 for the first time really brought into perspective the difference between a FWD gearbox and the RWD manual in my Miata. Specifically downshifting going into a turn. Where I can count on pushing in the pedal and the Miata disengaging the 2 seem to want to go at its own pace. My foot is buried into the floor and I end up grinding the gears going from 2nd into 1st before I even begin to let the clutch out. Is this normal behavior for the gearbox, or is there something I can do to ensure that when that pedal is down it's FULLY disengaging? The only mod on the car is the CS short shifter

Is it only from 2nd to 1st? I ask because just about every car I've had was reluctant to downshift into first on course. These days I usually don't put up a fight and just leave it in 2nd unless its obvious I'm leaving a ton of time on the table by not downshifting.

I hate, hate, hate, HATE the clutch and drive-by-wire system on this car. Both the clutch and throttle just seem to "stick there" for a while. It seems like the only way to get smooth up and downshifts is to baby it.

It's quite obvious. Most of the course that I was running last Sunday was right between the 1st and 2nd shift point. Basically a slalom figure-eight where your speeds are between 25-35mph. Coming out of the large turns I'd have it at WOT in 2nd gear but by the time it even considered the power band I had to take my foot off the gas. Being in 1st doesn't really help since it tops off right around 28 or 29mph, and with the amount of shifting I'd need to do, well lets just say next year I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Miata only on the course.

Also I completely agree on the electronic throttle control, it's so slow and dull.

In case anyone is interested. Turn your sound down, the audio is horrible.

I just got the AWR transmount, I'll try a 2nd to 1st downshift tomorrow and see if it's possible. I've tried what you're attempting before on an autocross track and it never really goes well. Actually getting it into 1st and then getting the revs right just never happened for me with the stock mount. I can tell you clutch engagement is vastly improved, so that might just be enough difference. However, NVH at low rpms is pretty horrible so far. Just FYI.

The main thing I can say is that you have to be very deliberate with your rev match. I have down shifted a number of times in the 2 into first and you need to be deliberate with the revs to get them up enough. You also can't rush the shift, you have to take your time compared to a 3->2 downshift. I am usually slower just to be smooth with a 2->1 I usually don't to it often though because the courses I run usually are 30mph minimum. I have not tried it since filling my engine mount to see if it is easier. I might try it tomorrow.

I tried downshifting into 1st while cruising at 25 mph in traffic. With the AWR mount, the transmission engages with only minimal effort, still hard to match the revs without bucking back and forth on the suspension.

Back