SkyAvtiv 2 coming in 2019, Diesel still scheduled to arrive to the US

Hey Mazda! *hint hint* g o e l e c t r i c ! ! * nudge nudge * Remember those patents that Tesla open-sourced? *cough cough*

Hey Mazda! *hint hint* g o e l e c t r i c ! ! * nudge nudge * Remember those patents that Tesla open-sourced? *cough cough*

They've been experimenting with electrics for years. Even built a tiny range extender by using a rotary.

That said, gas has a long life left in it because batteries don't yet have the range or short refueling time. And it will take many years to build the power plant and transmission infrastructure required for mass adoption. It's still up in the air if battery swapping makes sense to invest in or not.
So.. in the mean time.. improvements to gas continue.

Why in the world would I try 91 gas in my cx5.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll file it with all the other "well you could just waste more money on XX and maybe that will solve your issue" recommendations.

Sorry for being snarky, but the more I think about this vehicle, the dumber I feel for buying it.

I mean, people have taken their cx5's to the dealers about the diluted oil and they've been told it's normal, or they take too many short trips. Honestly, what the hell kind of answer is that, and what does it say about the vehicle?

Just wild speculation because frankly I don't know but I wonder if the use of Premium reduces the causes of LSPI discussed in this thread since engine shouldn't have to richen the mixture if this LSPI was occurring with regular? Flame me at will (flame) if I am off my rocker. :)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123853294-2-5L-Oil-level-fluctuation

Last edited:
Enthusiasts will love the diesel motor especially after tuning and eveb more with a bigger IC/intake. The diesel pretty much is the Mazda speed. $500 tune gets you a 6 sec 0-60 stock parts ( awd at least).

Why in the world would I try 91 gas in my cx5.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll file it with all the other "well you could just waste more money on XX and maybe that will solve your issue" recommendations.

Sorry for being snarky, but the more I think about this vehicle, the dumber I feel for buying it.

I mean, people have taken their cx5's to the dealers about the diluted oil and they've been told it's normal, or they take too many short trips. Honestly, what the hell kind of answer is that, and what does it say about the vehicle?

Not snarky at all. Perhaps the Mazda moly oil was partly recommended to withstand fuel dilution due to its extremely high moly content. I actually use 89 gas. For some reason both my Skyactiv engine loves 89 Chevron gas. The $1.30 extra per tank won't me me go broke.

I thought the dilution issue was more or less a direct-engine thing meaning not confined to skyactivs. BMW recommends intake valve cleaning via walnut blasting for instance.

Last edited:
I though the dilution issue was only for diesel engines with the post injection regeneration. I wouldn’t expect it with a gasoline engine.

I though the dilution issue was only for diesel engines with the post injection regeneration. I wouldnt expect it with a gasoline engine.

The dilution on the gas engine occurs during cold starts. The engine purposely retards spark timing and purposely burns fuel in the exhaust manifold to warm up the catalytic converter. Pushing unburnt fuel out during the exhaust stroke results in very low cylinder pressures and I'm sure plenty of fuel has a chance to sneak past the piston and into the oil in that situation.

If the engine is allowed to fully warm up after such a cold start, most of the fuel will stay vaporized. It'll quickly evaporate/burn off and everything will be fine.
But if the car is started and turned off shortly after, before things get a chance to warm up, some of the fuel will accumulate in the oil and you'll get oil rise.

Just wild speculation because frankly I don't know but I wonder if the use of Premium reduces the causes of LSPI discussed in this thread since engine shouldn't have to richen the mixture if this LSPI was occurring with regular? Flame me at will (flame) if I am off my rocker. :)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123853294-2-5L-Oil-level-fluctuation

I don't think LSPI has much to do with oil dilution.

The dilution on the gas engine occurs during cold starts. The engine purposely retards spark timing and purposely burns fuel in the exhaust manifold to warm up the catalytic converter. Pushing unburnt fuel out during the exhaust stroke results in very low cylinder pressures and I'm sure plenty of fuel has a chance to sneak past the piston and into the oil in that situation.

If the engine is allowed to fully warm up after such a cold start, most of the fuel will stay vaporized. It'll quickly evaporate/burn off and everything will be fine.
But if the car is started and turned off shortly after, before things get a chance to warm up, some of the fuel will accumulate in the oil and you'll get oil rise.

I don't think LSPI has much to do with oil dilution.

This could explain why upon startup Mazda tuned the engine to idle high as to warm up. Considering I live in a warm region and car is garaged the wait time is minimal for me. About 20-30 seconds wait this morning to reach normal idle rpm.

I though the dilution issue was only for diesel engines with the post injection regeneration. I wouldn’t expect it with a gasoline engine.

See this thread https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123853294-2-5L-Oil-level-fluctuation

Re: let it warm up, drive it long enough and it will evaporate...

Not for me. Guess a ton of variables are at play here, but while I do take short trips, I also take long trips. Always have, and when I actually noticed my oil, I began to take it on more frequent trips over the course of a week to see what happened. It rose over the course of that week....which happened to be unseasonably warm here in KY, and my car did not have the high rpm startups as it was 40-60 degrees. I understand I probabaly should run it harder for longer and keep a 2 month tally on my oil level like the guy who started the 2.5 oil rise thread, but I would rather not start looking into an issue that doesn't seem to have a definitive fix...

...especially if I don't even know what the real harm is. I just assume it's not ideal for my engine, but I also assume it will not cause engine failure. Maybe it just leads to more maintenence costs after 100k, or something. Idk. Don't really want to find out, especially now that it looks like Mazda has decided to tinker with a brand new engine.

Mine keeps a steady level but never any short trips. I average 45-50 miles on the weekdays and around 250 miles every other weekend.

Back