SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

I do it every 6 mo because I dont make many miles and also live in a very dusty and very hot summer climate.
10k would be more than 1 year for me but I agree with all of you that this oil is very capable.
Not really 10K, you can do the oil change once a year (with less than 7,500 miles a year) for your CX-5 making minimum miles. Or use Flexible OCI which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

Looks like Mazda moly oil is the one you’re using ⋯ :)

You could easily do 8,000 miles. My last analysis was on a 8K mile OCI with Mazda Moly oil, and it came back great with nearly 100,000 miles on our '14 2.5L.

Here in Europe the oil changes in cx5 petrol engines are once a year or 15000--20000km. Since I do around 15000 km max/year it is going to be once a year along with service. Done at the dealer. They even give you 10 year guarantee from the start. Sorry forgot to mention that it was flexible oil change.

Last edited:
Just received a report on my oil analysis today, I tried to keep the mileage under 5k for the first oil change of my new to me CX-5, Walmart Supertech 0w20 was used.

I'm currently running Ravenol SFE 5w20, I know its not the "0" in 0w20, with the Ravenol pour point of - 63 C, I'm not too worried about cold flow performance, the engine seems to really like it.

I plan to run this oil to at least 7500 mi.

As an added bonus, also included an analysis of the Mazda ZF trans fluid at 71k mi.
It looked pretty bad, dark brown, analysis shows still good.

Attachments

• OilReports - Engine.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 271
  • OilReports - Trans.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 263
Just received a report on my oil analysis today, I tried to keep the mileage under 5k for the first oil change of my new to me CX-5, Walmart Supertech 0w20 was used.

I'm currently running Ravenol SFE 5w20, I know its not the "0" in 0w20, with the Ravenol pour point of - 63 C, I'm not too worried about cold flow performance, the engine seems to really like it.

As an added bonus, also included an analysis of the Mazda ZF trans fluid at 71k mi.
Nice. Your analysis of the ATF has viscosity numbers only slightly lower than mine at 51k. Can’t remember what my wear metal numbers were tho. Somewhere on the forum. Looking forward to my next service at 100k (currently at 77k) just to compare 50k miles of use after “break-in” vs an additional 50k miles of use after the original fluid was replaced.

Thanks, I plan on doing the third drain-and-refill this weekend sometime, then again at 100k.
I usually keep my vehicles for a decade or more and have confidence with the few fluid analysis that have been done so far (ie: differential, ATF, TC, etc) that my CX-5 should last a very long time.

On another post I made earlier, I'm using Ravenol FZ ATF Full synthetic vs the Mazda FZ ATF that is only petroleum based, Ravenol seams a much better quality and overall value than the OEM stuff.

Thanks, I plan on doing the third drain-and-refill this weekend sometime, then again at 100k.
I usually keep my vehicles for a decade or more and have confidence with the few fluid analysis that have been done so far (ie: differential, ATF, TC, etc) that my CX-5 should last a very long time.

On another post I made earlier, I'm using Ravenol FZ ATF Full synthetic vs the Mazda FZ ATF that is only petroleum based, Ravenol seams a much better quality and overall value than the OEM stuff.

It certainly could be. I’ll have to see what the cost is in a couple of years vs OEM and go from there. It was brand new on the market with no reviews when I changed my ATF so I didn’t want to be a guinea pig.

Ugh, this thread just reminded me I have 2 samples I have completely forgotten to mail in.

Hey add your ATF report here too!

Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

Recently got another UOA report back. I'm having to add a quart of oil between drains on a 8K mile oil drain interval, so I probably will not try stretching it out to 10K miles. I'll just have to start buying an extra quart per oil change to keep on hand.

1593189937755.png

Recently got another UOA report back. I'm having to add a quart of oil between drains on a 8K mile oil drain interval, so I probably will not try stretching it out to 10K miles. I'll just have to start buying an extra quart per oil change to keep on hand.

View attachment 225449
Need an important info, what kind of oil did you use?

My guess is you used Mazda moly 0W-20.

Since I have free oil changes for the first 2yrs /30k miles I figured I would do some UOA's. This is the first change of the factory fill so I figure it's been in the vehicle since 06/2019 (into service 02/2020). Who knows how much idling it did in it's first 8 months of life on the dealership lot. Interesting the viscosity is so low and will be looking to see if it's the same results next change with known bottled 0w30 Mazda diesel oil.

A North American 2.2 skyactiv-D ....

19 C5D-200622_02 01-Copy-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Since I have free oil changes for the first 2yrs /30k miles I figured I would do some UOA's. This is the first change of the factory fill so I figure it's been in the vehicle since 06/2019 (into service 02/2020). Who knows how much idling it did in it's first 8 months of life on the dealership lot. Interesting the viscosity is so low and will be looking to see if it's the same results next change with known bottled 0w30 Mazda diesel oil.

A North American 2.2 skyactiv-D ....
So what is “known bottled 0W-30 Mazda diesel oil”? Is it Mazda OEM 0W-30 oil used only for SkyActiv-D 2.2L? Is it ACEA C3 oil?

So what is “known bottled 0W-30 Mazda diesel oil”? Is it Mazda OEM 0W-30 oil used only for SkyActiv-D 2.2L? Is it ACEA C3 oil?

Yes and Yes. Mazda [branded] oil from Mazda dealer.

Screenshot_20200803-160650.png

I found (as I suspected it would be) that it's not something my dealer keeps on hand and talked to the parts guy about a month before I needed an oil change to buy 6 quarts and a filter to have on MY shelf to make sure it's available when I need it. So, just based on Blackstone's comment on viscosity being low could be because it never started out as 0w30. I can't vouch for what the factory put in it and I didn't pull a sample when it was new. So if my next UOA shows the same low viscosity then perhaps it's getting sheared and we'll go from there. But if it shows a viscosity that one would expect from a 0w30 oil then maybe the factory fill wasn't.

My main thought was to see if any fuel dilution was going on, how much soot / insoluble and TBN to determine if Mazda's free maintenance interval of 7500 miles is gonna work for me.

I may pull a sample at 5k miles on this fill and set it aside to test should this sample come back with a lower than expected viscosity again we can check out the 5k mi sample.

Last edited:
Yes and Yes. Mazda [branded] oil from Mazda dealer.

View attachment 226115

I found (as I suspected it would be) that it's not something my dealer keeps on hand and talked to the parts guy about a month before I needed an oil change to buy 6 quarts and a filter to have on MY shelf to make sure it's available when I need it. So, just based on Blackstone's comment on viscosity being low could be because it never started out as 0w30. I can't vouch for what the factory put in it and I didn't pull a sample when it was new. So if my next UOA shows the same low viscosity then perhaps it's getting sheared and we'll go from there. But if it shows a viscosity that one would expect from a 0w30 oil then maybe the factory fill wasn't.

My main thought was to see if any fuel dilution was going on, how much soot / insoluble and TBN to determine if Mazda's free maintenance interval of 7500 miles is gonna work for me.

I may pull a sample at 5k miles on this fill and set it aside to test should this sample come back with a lower than expected viscosity again we can check out the 5k mi sample.
Interesting. Looks like this OEM Mazda SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 Diesel Engine Oil is also made by Idemitsu just like Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil. Your factory oil has high contents of molybdenum than other oils, almost like Mazda moly 0w-20 oil which has 600 ~ 700 in UOA report.

Wow, that is a thin oil.

Thanks for the analysis. I think it's the first diesel we see. Check it out next time, it would be interesting to compare.

I would try at 5k miles if you are ok with that.

They stated that: "The only thing that stands out is a bit of fuel dilution." Why would they recommend pushing the oil further when it has fuel in the oil?

They stated that: "The only thing that stands out is a bit of fuel dilution." Why would they recommend pushing the oil further when it has fuel in the oil?
Yeah, I thought that was kinda interesting, seems it's only a very slight dilution. Not nearly enough to cause any problems. I just sent in a sample of used Ravenol SFE 5w20 with 7600 mi they received it yesterday so stay tuned should have the results this week.

Back