Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

New version out: 352
https://www.mazda3revolution.com/threads/new-na-n-firmware-70-00-352b.237094/

According to J32 a new firmware version corrects the Sirius issue. Don't know if dealers have the the new version.
I've only had one dropout since I upgraded from 70.00.100 NA N to 352. Easy enough to do the upgrade yourself. I kept having regular multiple dropouts before upgrading. I had let my trial expire because I was tired of said dropouts. I only renewed it cause they lured me back with 12 months for $60.

I had no infotainment/Sirius issues with firmware 100 version.At my last service they updated to 352 along with map update,no problems and loads quickly. It sounds like the problem folks are having with Sirius is a Sirius issue,not a firmware problem.
Which year is your CX5?

I wonder if part of why the XM issue cropped up was that the newer (2019+) CX5's have added additional xm functions (XMtravelink) which previous years did not.

Oddly enough, I had a "Cannot communicate with SiriusXM hardware" message today. I had been listening to SIrius no problems for about 30 mins. Stopped to get gas, turned the car back on and hadn't touched any buttons, and that's what happened.

That's the first time since updating to 352 that I've had a drop out. I did a hard-reset (Nav+back+mute) and that fixed it.

Oddly enough, I had a "Cannot communicate with SiriusXM hardware" message today. I had been listening to SIrius no problems for about 30 mins. Stopped to get gas, turned the car back on and hadn't touched any buttons, and that's what happened.

That's the first time since updating to 352 that I've had a drop out. I did a hard-reset (Nav+back+mute) and that fixed it.
Interesting that the hard reset actually fixed it for you.

I've tried it several times on XM issues and once on a weird NAV issue. It never had any effect for me. And neither did turning off the car/immediately restarting it...I had to let the car sit for a while before restarting.

How long does it take the dealer to update to the latest firmware which I assume is 352B on a 2019? They also said they would update the maps. Thanks for the info.

How long does it take the dealer to update to the latest firmware which I assume is 352B on a 2019? They also said they would update the maps. Thanks for the info.
When I did the firmware update to my 2019 it took about 45 mins, so plan for an hour at the dealership for both firmware and NAV card update.

I went in for an oil change, tire rotation, tranny fluid check, warranty issue on a seat, as well as the firmwae update. So I can't tell you how long the firmware alone takes.

About the same for me 30-40 min., didn't seem to be nowhere near that time on the previous update. Did have a problem with my ambient temp sensor after the first time, so did it again and it took the same amount of time. The temp sensor returned to normal, don't know if it was related though.

DEER...Did they check the tranny? Did they have to add oil? Did they charge you?
They claimed they checked the tranny as part of the standard n/c inspection process when you bring the car in for service. Of course I'm skeptical. Why give me a hard time about doing something they later say is a routine service?

Interesting that the hard reset actually fixed it for you.

I've tried it several times on XM issues and once on a weird NAV issue. It never had any effect for me. And neither did turning off the car/immediately restarting it...I had to let the car sit for a while before restarting.

My experience has been the same as yours actually - until that day!

My experience has been the same as yours actually - until that day!
I prematurely posted that the upgrade fixed my Voice Recognition issue (at least on XM.) It did not. It really got better at first...worked 100% of the time I tried it for several days. But now I occasionally have the same issue as before.

I cannot speak to relative rates of failure because I stopped using it before the upgrade...it was too spotty. I have not tried the three finger reset since the upgrade (or two finger reset, according to some.)

I still have XM load failures even on newest version of Mazda Connect. Has happened twice now after a quick run to the grocery store both times (car was off for less then 30 mins). Upon starting it up to drive home XM is not working.

Every time I've had the XM issue is when the car was driven (works fine) then shut off for a short period and the driven again (wont load after short trip). It's happened 3-4 times since I purchased the CX5 regardless of software version.

Mazda still has a buggy infotainment after all these years.
Personally I think its due to a bug with the XM Travelink add-on, cause when XM radio doesnt load neither does XMtravelink, both are unavailable until issue resolves itself with another car restart. I dont believe these issues came to light until Mazda added XMtravelink to 2019's.....wonder if people with 2020's have encountered the bug.

I have had it a few times on my 2020 GT with premium. I got the software upgraded to 352 but still have had it 2-3 times in as many months. For me it seemed to happen after using the cylinder activation display. It seems better after I started displaying the mileage display after each trip...

I just had my first XM load failure in my 2019 GT with premium. It's sad to see that the updates are not fixing the problem. I still have the .335 firmware.
I reached out to Mazda Customer Experience Center explaining the Sirius XM issues and how the .352B firmware didn't resolve any of the problems with the 2019-2020 CX-5.

Last edited:
I have had that problem several times with my 2019 CX 5. Never had it when starting the car after it had been sitting overnight for example, but each time it did was when out running errands, shut the car off for several minutes and then got back in and restarted the car. Sometimes the Sirius XM seemed to take several minutes to sync up but then eventually loaded and resumed playing. One trick I tried that worked was using the command knob to switch to a different audio source like one of the USB drives and then back to Sirius XM after a few seconds seemed to reboot it.

Happy Easter.... I had the load failure again. This time it started as the lost channels, I didn't get the XM fail to load as it shows on the screen. It was the same problem went to shop 10 minute ride shut down CX5 for 45 minutes got back in the CX5 and had the trouble. The shutoff and turn on did fix the problem. So the XM must not be loading right in the CX5 on the restart after sitting. Maybe this will help Mazda Corp. fix this headache.

Happy Easter.... I had the load failure again. This time it started as the lost channels, I didn't get the XM fail to load as it shows on the screen. It was the same problem went to shop 10 minute ride shut down CX5 for 45 minutes got back in the CX5 and had the trouble. The shutoff and turn on did fix the problem. So the XM must not be loading right in the CX5 on the restart after sitting. Maybe this will help Mazda Corp. fix this headache.

Happy Easter, Bruins!

The 2 times I had a "failure to load," I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off/restarted it several times in succession. XM never loaded properly in those situations. It seems that it needs to be shut down for some period of time to completely unload so as to load properly.

Deer,
The problem I just had almost was like I didn't even have a subscription. When I restarted the CX5 after 15 minutes in the new store it went to channel 0 flashed the Radio iD#. I had a couple of XM channels in the favorites and it worked from there.

Back