2017~2024 Side effects from forgetting to turn engine off

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Yesterday afternoon my wife went to work, as she pulled in a co-worker pulled up next to her and they starting talking. My wife exited the car and didn't turn the engine off. She proceeded to go to work for 4 hrs and when she came out to leave the car was dead. She called me and I went down and tried to jump it. No luck, wouldn't jump. Nothing in the car lit up. Since I wasn't going to get it started I called Mazda roadside assistance. I called at 9pm, Mazda was looking all around for a tow, finally got one a 5am. Couldn't tow it to dealer since they have fences all around so they brought it to me. Turns out the car ran out of gas and must of run the battery down. Tow service came back and jumped it with a heavy duty portable jumper. I added gas but a few weird things happened.
I put about 2 gallons in and the gauge was showing 3/4. Took it to a station and it took 14 dollars so I know it wasn't 3/4 full.
Also the infotainment is screwed up. Sirius wont connect and am/fm won't show anything on the screen and keeps defaulting back to the first station on the tuner.

Other than that everything else seems ok.

Will disconnecting the battery reset these things?

Did you fully charge the battery afterwards?
assuming it was dead means it needs a good recharge on a good charger.
Then try again and see.
The infotainment can also be default reset.

Nope. They were reset from the battery going stone dead. When I disconnected my battery I also had to reprogram the windows so the auto up and down worked again.

Did you fully charge the battery afterwards?
assuming it was dead means it needs a good recharge on a good charger.
Then try again and see.
The infotainment can also be default reset.
Drove it for about a 1/2 hour after jump and it's being slow charged right now. Hopefully a soft reset to the infotainment will get that working. Will have to keep an eye on the gas gauge.
Didn't check the windows, will see how they work tomorrow.

Curious on why the car would be dead(not running) after 4 hours.

It doesn't seem like it ran out of gas. If it did run out of gas, the vehicle has systems to power down the interior lights/accessories after a period of time as I've sat in the car with the radio and door open and after 20 minutes it goes off. (That's in a 2017+)

Good to rule things out and have the tank refilled and the battery fully charged before proceeding. Wouldn't rule out the battery reset since we really don't know why the vehicle stopped running.

Maybe take it to a Mazda dealership or possibly see if there are codes in the car's computer.

Curious on why the car would be dead(not running) after 4 hours.

It doesn't seem like it ran out of gas. If it did run out of gas, the vehicle has systems to power down the interior lights/accessories after a period of time as I've sat in the car with the radio and door open and after 20 minutes it goes off. (That's in a 2017+)

Good to rule things out and have the tank refilled and the battery fully charged before proceeding. Wouldn't rule out the battery reset since we really don't know why the vehicle stopped running.

Maybe take it to a Mazda dealership or possibly see if there are codes in the car's computer.
That's exactly what I thought, it started after a jump so there had to be some gas in the engine. When it started the gas gauge was below "E". Only thing I can think of was the fan blower was on, when the car died the blower kept running and eventually drained the battery. The engine dying from lack of fuel would of left it in an accessory type mode.
Some things don't add up.

Biggest surprise was the car wasn't stolen. Sitting in front of a dept. store, unlocked for 4 hours running.

If I can't resolve the infortainment problem I'll run it by the dealer.

Well fully charged and everything is working like it should. Even the favorites are still there.
Maybe at idle the alternator can't keep up with the battery draw of the various things that run. If its slightly insufficient, then you could probably idle for over an hour without issue, but left indefinitely like this, it eventually brought the battery too low to function properly.

Idling for many hours is probably a very uncommon use-case, and probably not one that a lot of design effort and testing went into optimizing. Any testing they did do in development likely started with a new battery.

Your situation sounds like a corner-case. Probably not something to worry about. You may want to get your battery tested, since lead-acid batteries don't like deep discharge, and perhaps it was already marginal. Apologies if you've already discussed the battery. I didn't re-read the previous posts.

Maybe at idle the alternator can't keep up with the battery draw of the various things that run. If its slightly insufficient, then you could probably idle for over an hour without issue, but left indefinitely like this, it eventually brought the battery too low to function properly.

Idling for many hours is probably a very uncommon use-case, and probably not one that a lot of design effort and testing went into optimizing. Any testing they did do in development likely started with a new battery.

Your situation sounds like a corner-case. Probably not something to worry about. You may want to get your battery tested, since lead-acid batteries don't like deep discharge, and perhaps it was already marginal. Apologies if you've already discussed the battery. I didn't re-read the previous posts.
I think you're right about the battery and deep discharge. Even though everything seems OK I don't trust the battery. My wife works some nights and I don't want to run into another situation like last Friday night. Took Mazda Roadside 8 hours to find a service to dispatch.
We're going to be traveling in a few months so I'll just drop $120 to replace the battery for peace of mind.

... Biggest surprise was the car wasn't stolen ...

Reminds me of my daughter's tale of leaving her car (a Honda Fit) running at a university where she parked nearby on a side street. All day long. 9 hours. Came back to it to go home to find it running and realizing her mistake. Of course she never told me about it till some years later lol .

@wlong01 I see your vehicle has a turbo.. you will want to read this thread:

@wlong01 I see your vehicle has a turbo.. you will want to read this thread:
Seems like a mixed bag. Some say bad, some say no problem. Good thing was it was in the 30's so no chance of engine getting too hot.

I think the opportunity here is a long term report back on if the engine exhibits any premature failures related to a four hour idling event with a turbo.

I think the opportunity here is a long term report back on if the engine exhibits any premature failures related to a four hour idling event with a turbo.
Idling has to be the least-strenuous activity an engine can do. No load, constant temps. I see no reason why that could lead to any abnormality in engine behavior. I drive mine for 4+ hours at a time at 2k RPM while driving, if that's problematic for longevity, I bought the wrong car.

Idling has to be the least-strenuous activity an engine can do. No load, constant temps. I see no reason why that could lead to any abnormality in engine behavior. I drive mine for 4+ hours at a time at 2k RPM while driving, if that's problematic for longevity, I bought the wrong car.
I agree, but the other thread I linked to people had some strong opinions when it came to engines equipped with a turbo.

A quick Google search yielded this info:

Since your engine is not operating at its peak temperature when you idle, the fuel doesn’t combust completely, leaving residue behind that can ultimately damage your exhaust system.

I believe the "residue" may be carbon build up. Likely not a big deal at all if it was a one time occurrence - I'd just put the engine through its paces to get it nice and hot, which would help to burn off excess carbon build up. I would check the fluids to make sure everything is within limits, drive it hard a couple of times, and continue to enjoy the car. Sounds like OP is also replacing battery, so all bases covered IMO.

4 hours of idling won't hurt it at all, especially after warming it to normal operating temperature on the drive to work.

Back