2017~2024 Side effects from forgetting to turn engine off

What I think happened is her car ran out of gas and stopped and the accessories were still on. Maybe the running lights were still on too.

No way a turbo will see any ill effects from running at idle. It's not really even 'running' at that point.

That's exactly what I thought, it started after a jump so there had to be some gas in the engine. When it started the gas gauge was below "E".

In my 2015 CX-5, the battery died due to my daughter's boyfriend not fully understanding how to completely turn the car off after parking it in the garage. Upon jumpstarting the battery, the gas gauge showed empty. Unbeknownst to me, it was actually completely full, which I found out when I tried to put gas in and ended up overfilling it. So, the gas gauge not functioning correctly, at least temporarily, seems to be a side-effect of draining the battery.

In my 2015 CX-5, the battery died due to my daughter's boyfriend not fully understanding how to completely turn the car off after parking it in the garage. Upon jumpstarting the battery, the gas gauge showed empty. Unbeknownst to me, it was actually completely full, which I found out when I tried to put gas in and ended up overfilling it. So, the gas gauge not functioning correctly, at least temporarily, seems to be a side-effect of draining the battery.
Yeah, that had me scratching my head. If the car died because it ran out of gas why did it start back up after a jump without adding any gas? If it had gas why did it die?
Perplexing to say the least.

I dunno about the gassers but I read information that my diesel deals with low fuel progressively to help keep it from actually running empty and causing problems getting fuel to the engine again...

As fuel nears empty, if dash warnings to refuel are ignored the ecu will derate power (limp mode) and if you continue it will shut down the engine (although there is actually still fuel remaining).

Back