Show me your roof box!

IMHO if you have a moonroof and want full use of it, then there is no other option then to go with OEM. However, if moonroof is absent or you don't care to not have full use of it the Inno or better yet, again IMHO, the ROLA rack is better in looks, function, and aerodynamics...also cheaper...I think??
+1

If not for interfering with the moonroof, I'd go ROLA in a heartbeat. I don’t care for the INNO. I started investigating if there's a way to fabricate an extension to the ROLA base but the urge kinda died off now that I have a hitch. I also find I don’t really use the roofrack often.

If you don't like to leave your rack on all the time, like me, 1st gen OE rack is way to go. The integrated mounting mechanism is ingenious! I don’t' know why they remove that from the 2nd gen bars. FYI, leaving the 1st gen rack on with diffusers mounted still result in a minor MPG and noise penalty (not sure if this applies to aero foil type bars)!

I think they are Thule rebranded as Sears. Sorry so late but I'll post up some pics tonight after work.
AFAIK, all Sears boxes are rebranded Thule boxes. So are OEM boxes like Volvo, Acura, BMW, etc.. are all rebranded Thule boxes. I like the Sears boxes myself, especially when they have a sale + coupon :) They are cheap b/c they don't have the nicer quick attachments are the lower end (or last gen) equivalent Thules but the saving is worth it.

Last edited:
7go1.jpg

aodj.jpg

My roof box

Last edited:
AFAIK, all Sears boxes are rebranded Thule boxes. So are OEM boxes like Volvo, Acura, BMW, etc.. are all rebranded Thule boxes. I like the Sears boxes myself, especially when they have a sale + coupon :) They are cheap b/c they don't have the nicer quick attachments are the lower end (or last gen) equivalent Thules but the saving is worth it.

This! You can't go wrong when buying a Sears box. Thule designed but at a fraction of the price. Not sure about the newer model Mazdas but I know the first and second gen Mazda3 OEM racks and accessories were Thule but branded Mazda where you paid even more of a markup.

Really dumb question from a newbie:

Do you guys fill your box then load it on the roof? Or do you put it open on roof and fill it all up? Also can you put loose items in the box, or do you put everything in suitcase then inside box?

IMHO if you have a moonroof and want full use of it, then there is no other option then to go with OEM. However, if moonroof is absent or you don't care to not have full use of it the Inno or better yet, again IMHO, the ROLA rack is better in looks, function, and aerodynamics...also cheaper...I think??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) are you talking about this? $227 Rola for Mazda5?

Is this all I would need + box?

Really dumb question from a newbie:

Do you guys fill your box then load it on the roof? Or do you put it open on roof and fill it all up? Also can you put loose items in the box, or do you put everything in suitcase then inside box?

Put it on the roof and then fill. You can put loose items in the box, I guess, but it's easier to load/unload with things packed.

My Cargo box setup!!

Finally go time to mount it on the Mazda5, here are a few quick shots of my set up. Got the bars on ebay and the Sportrack cargo box on a black Friday sale for $49.00 bux at Homedepot. The box does double duty for my Mazda5 and my Speed3 so decided on the shorter version. Last couple of shots is how I ghetto rigged the box to the wall so it stays out the way when not in use...LOL

Last edited:
Finally go time to mount it on the Mazda5, here are a few quick shots of my set up. Got the bars on ebay and the Sportrack cargo box on a black Friday sale for $49.00 bux at Homedepot. The box does double duty for my Mazda5 and my Speed3 so decided on the shorter version. Last couple of shots is how I ghetto rigged the box to the wall so it stays out the way when not in use...LOL

http://s1238.photobuck[/IMGI also have a MS3 along my Mazda 5. Awesome rides.

Can you give some details on which roof rack you bought? I like the size of the box. Seems bigger than the INNO ones.

Ok, snagged one of the $175 OEM racks off eBay, the seller popped back up again.
I have an old Thule excursion box, any chance I can massage it to fit? The OEM shows 32" spacing the excursion says max 31". Was hoping it would fit then started looking at spacing and ...

Mazda5 Rack mount point problems...

So I am resurrecting a post from another rack forum from way back in 2008 where Muoxfordoh http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...azda5-Thread&p=3909112&viewfull=1#post3909112 spoke of a slight lift that happened when he over-tightened the bolts.

He said that this in turn was lifting the plastic rain gutter cover as illustrated in his picture http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132903&d=1213320518

So I have the same problem (though I do not think it's from over-tightenting)and took it to the dealer today and they said don't worry about it it's just aesthetic and offered to replace the long plastic strip that goes over the rain gutter for $250 as a solution. I decided not to do that. But it seems to me that it's the underlying mount point for the standoff that needs to be "bent back down" to solve the problem.

1. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?
  2. Does anyone know how to get the long plastic strip over the rain gutter off in order to inspect the place where the thule standoff installs?

I have a big roof box that I put on there and I want to be sure it's safely installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I got this box yesterday.

It is a Thule Atlantis 1600 on OEM roof rack. I am amazed at the low noise, I was expecting worse at highway speeds. Box seems to be very well made.

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

Hi all, been a long time since I've been on here, but was wondering if anyone has opinions on the rightline gear sport 2 cargo bag?

Can't justify spending $8-900 for a roof rack plus cargo box system (maybe later) at the moment. Just need some extra room for camping stuff.

Seems to be the best option for those of us without a roof rack system.

Also, whats with the small amount of threads showing up in each sub section? I can't seem to find older threads without searching. Usually, on the v bulletin forums there is a page count on the bottom to view older threads.

Cheers!

Hi all, been a long time since I've been on here, but was wondering if anyone has opinions on the rightline gear sport 2 cargo bag?

Can't justify spending $8-900 for a roof rack plus cargo box system (maybe later) at the moment. Just need some extra room for camping stuff.

Seems to be the best option for those of us without a roof rack system.

Also, whats with the small amount of threads showing up in each sub section? I can't seem to find older threads without searching. Usually, on the v bulletin forums there is a page count on the bottom to view older threads.

Cheers!

What are you going to tie it to?
I see people with those all the time driving down the road with the front of the bag squished and deformed from the air pressure. Must be noisy and bad for MPG.
I got my Inno IN-XR for about $200, and this. They have performed flawlessly for 1000's of miles.

Unfortunately not much on craigslist in my area for used carriers.

I'm thinking of getting this. Seems to get good reviews, and can fold down when I don't use it. I'll be only using this 2 or 3 times a year for camping so it'll be easy for storage. I'll post a review once I get it.

Got the Mazda 5 GS back after a day in the shop, we adding a few things...

Thule Atlantis 1600

159698722.jpg

Mazda OEM roof rack

159698723.jpg

1.25" trailer hitch with Thule Helium Aero bike rack (which we've had since last year)

159698724.jpg

What's inside?

4 folding chairs
2 boogie boards
14x14 shelter
4 person inflatable bed
4 sleeping bags
2 carry-on bags
and 4 pillows (not there but can easily fit.)
also a little room left.

Our big tent, cooler, cooking gear, adult luggage and misc can now fit nicely (and easily accessible) behind the 2nd row.

159726785.jpg

Great setup!

Do you have the 16cu model?

For my 2010 Mazda 3 hatch,
I'm looking at:

Rola rack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

and

Thule Evolution 1600.

http://www.sears.com/thule-evolution-car-top-carrier/p-02872185000P?redirectType=SRDT

Any thoughts? I could get the Evolution with 35$ more off, for a total of around 320$ after tax. I'm thinking of either that or the Xtreme cargo also by Sears.

Any thoughts on durability, moonroof, noise, fuel efficiency, etch?? Id be doing a 15,000 mile, 45 day great American road trip this Summer with my brother.

I'm pretty convinced with the Rola Rack, however, for the box, other options I'm looking at are:
Sportrack:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Or used Thule models from Craigslist:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/4987791665.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/4968259876.html

The only concern with the Thule models above are they're quite long (at 92"). The Thule Evolution 1600 from Sears is 76. I'm trying to have it so the box doesn't protrude out of the windshield when mounted.

Thanks guys!

Back