Show me your roof box!

so i got my used mazda5 for only 1 week, and am thinking of adding a cargo box.

can someone tell me what are the Pros/Cons going with OEM Mazda roof rack vs going let say Thule?

My brother in law has a thule box that i may be able to borrow, so does that mean i am limited to thule rack? or are they all universal?

if i can't borrow of my brother in law, then i may get the sears one, which looks like its still a thule product.

Which box is that ??
What's inside?

4 folding chairs
2 boogie boards
14x14 shelter
4 person inflatable bed
4 sleeping bags
2 carry-on bags
and 4 pillows (not there but can easily fit.)
also a little room left.

Our big tent, cooler, cooking gear, adult luggage and misc can now fit nicely (and easily accessible) behind the 2nd row.

159726785.jpg

Here are the final products. 21 cubic feet Thule box. Store guy argued with me it wouldn't fit. Had to show him video that it works.

image3.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1036_001.jpg

I made one. Link is above. Not sure if it will clear a moonroof...but I'm sure it could be modded/shimmed to be higher if needed.

Thule Motion XT XXL rooftop on 47” Thule aero bars. I didn’t do the OEM Mazda rack because I preferred the aero bars after experiencing the wind noise on my sister’s 5 with he OEM square bar. I went with the longer bars vs. the slightly lower profile aeroblade because I wanted the extra mounting space side to side so I could mount a bike tray next to the box. The whole set up was pricey, but I got a pretty big discount buying through REI, using dividend, a 20% off deal on all roof top items, and a 25% member coupon. I already had a Thule hitch rack and wanted to be able to have everything keyed the same. I will say that because of the way the towers mount to the hard points on the side gutters that the front bar sits tilted very slightly forward. That means if you don’t have the rubber strip in the T-slot across the top the airflow causes a whistle. The rear bar on the other hand sits level, so there’s no extra noise even without the rubber strip in. With the setup in this picture I have one strip cut up to fill as much of the gap around the bike tray as possible.
95B7B44F-6F9A-4603-99D9-FE8C0F07DBEA.jpeg

This is the largest box Thule makes, like 610 liters.... it’s 18” tall, 3’ wide, and 7.5’ long. It lets us carry stuff for three adults and three kids for vacation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back