2013~2016 Should I change transmission fluid in Skyactiv cars?

I am still onboard to changing mine in the months ahead... still below 50k miles on my '15. I have a case of Mazda AT fluid up in the garage.

It should be a cakewalk compared to what I have to do on my Toyota/Lexus. They don't have a dipstick, have an overflow valve and you have to OBD monitor temps to release overflow at specific temp. Fill port is buried down on the rear right side of AT.

I went a different route. I got a $2400, 150k mile warranty. Changed every 30k miles, at $200 per, that is $1000 saved. So now I consider I have a bumper to bumper warranty for $1400...and if all of your fears are well founded, a new transmission when this one dies due to lack of fluid changes! Pretty sweet deal.

It seems that Mazda has specifically asked dealers not to touch ATF fluid around 60K miles or less - probably due to liability issues. I think Lifetime fluid is just another way of saying "We think not changing it will last 200K miles" - which is a target for most manufacturers. I am still torn on doing ATF change - $300 to change it twice within 1000 miles - when I will be selling it at 120-150K miles. Maybe worth it but most 2nd hand buyers wont appreciate that.
Well. My dealer did not get that memo.
I had the ATF drain-n-refilled at 30k. Dealer was happy to take my money and did the job.
This was last year.

As the fine folks would say over at BITOG: the transmission has a drain plug, huh? Whos lifetime is the fluid good for then?

ATF costs more than motor oil, But mostly its due to a higher perceived amount of work involved. Granted, I removed the air box to get easier access but thats about all the extra work needed.

Honda is no different. Same thing holds true for my Odyssey. Changing the ATF on that is easier than the motor oil but the dealer still charges more.

Why does a transmission drain and fill cost more than an oil change?
Fluid costs more, plus whatever they are charging for labor. They are probably charging at least $15/qt. Figure 4 qts (about 3.5 really), plus whatever labor charge.

So, what's the general consensus here? I'm at 70k miles now and still wondering whether I should do the ATF drain and fill.

Just spoke with my dealer again. They charge $169 to do a ATF flush. They said they attach a device to the top of the transmission with one inlet tube and one outlet tube. New fluid goes in thru one tube and old fluid comes out thru the other. They do this while the transmission is working and so the process will replace 80%+ of the fluid in there.

Sounds like BS to me. Can the experts here please chime in and let me know whether I should opt for this for a 2016 CX-5 with 70k miles? I intend to keep this car as long as I can.

Last edited:
No consensus. Those that change the fluid (myself included) will tell you to drain and fill it. I would do it 3x with some driving in between. Those that subscribe to lifetime will tell you it’s fine.

No consensus. Those that change the fluid (myself included) will tell you to drain and fill it. I would do it 3x with some driving in between. Those that subscribe to lifetime will tell you it’s fine.
Just spoke with my dealer again. They charge $169 to do a ATF flush. They said they attach a device to the top of the transmission with one inlet tube and one outlet tube. New fluid goes in thru one tube and old fluid comes out thru the other. They do this while the transmission is working and so the process will replace 80%+ of the fluid in there.

Does this make sense?

Ki

Does this make sense?

Kind of. There is a part where the radiator fluid is routed to the top of the transmission. This cools the transmission fluid. If you remove that part and put an adapter on there, you should be able to change the fluid with a machine.

The part that stumps me is that it only changes 80% of the fluid. I’m guessing that some of the fluid retained in the torque converter isn’t changed doing this process. The same is true for a drain and fill which is why I would do multiple drain and fills with some driving in between.

If it’s a simple fluid exchange procedure (not a pressurized flush!) that sounds like a good deal. The price of 12 quarts of OEM ATF isn't much cheaper than that price you were quoted. I’d want to be sure they were using the correct ATF fluid for that price as it runs at least $10 a quart for the blue SkyActiv fluid.

How much did your dealer charge you for these 'flushes'? You are paying attention to the conversation gong on here right?

$259.99CAD. It may not be a flush in the traditional sense, but it is a full fluid exchange using a machine.

I have had the dealer do this 3 times and have 305,000km on my vehicle and the transmission has been flawless.

Personally, I prefer a full fluid change after every 100,000km and given that I’m one of the highest mileage CX-5s on the forum, I would say the method is sound and proven.

Last edited:

Does this make sense?
I agree with what ruthrj has said previously. For $169, it’s a good price no matter the “ATF flush” is real or not IF they use OEM FZ ATF and “80%” of old ATF replaced.

On the other hand, due to design difference on Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive transmission from most others, traditional ATF flush machine can’t be hooked up to SkyActive-Drive, unless a special adapter to ATF cooler is available. Even that, this type of “ATF flush” method has never described in factory workshop manual by Mazda, hence very few Mazda dealers would try to find a special adapter and use ATF flush machine to change the ATF.

I’d find out where exactly the flush machine is going to be hooked up. Sounded like they put both ATF in and out hoses from machine through the ATF dipstick hole and manage to suck and feed 80% of the ATF.

Check out post 236 on this link.

A good friend of mine is a mechanic at the dealership in question. I am 100% certain they perform a full exchange of the fluid....12 quarts.

I can’t speak for all Mazda dealers, but there is at least one in North America that can successfully and safely exchange all of the transmission fluid.

I have a lift and service all of my vehicles on my own, but when it comes to transmission fluid, the time and cost of the fluid isn’t worth completing several drain and fills when I can get it done all in one shot.

Got my ATF change done. I have attached some pics of the machine and the fluid they used. I was able to apply a coupon and get it done for $140. Not bad I guess.

Attachments

• CEFC32DC-CFBB-4E9A-8B99-91634C00251B.jpeg
    CEFC32DC-CFBB-4E9A-8B99-91634C00251B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
  • 65F597F5-6CA6-40D4-B6D2-F3E1FF05E4CB.jpeg
    65F597F5-6CA6-40D4-B6D2-F3E1FF05E4CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 286
  • 5DE1E603-76A7-41C5-B50E-1734E3A6FF58.jpeg
    5DE1E603-76A7-41C5-B50E-1734E3A6FF58.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
  • 6F144C19-2699-4412-B1C8-38DE94283E77.jpeg
    6F144C19-2699-4412-B1C8-38DE94283E77.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 284
Which tranny does a 2019 CX5 Touring have? It is also a Mazda made tranny?
All CX-5's with auto use Mazda's SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission
with some revisions along the way.

Got my ATF change done. I have attached some pics of the machine and the fluid they used. I was able to apply a coupon and get it done for $140. Not bad I guess.
Can you tell from the invoice that how many quarts of ATF the Mazda dealer had used? For $140, it definitely is a good price with genuine FZ ATF for a job done by a dealer.

The Trans Pro+ X Series in the cart is a standard ATF flushing machine. Based on pictures they seemed not to have a special ATF cooler adapter. They sucked old ATF and fed fresh ATF through the ATF dipstick hole. It's not ideal but this's one way to do it with a commercial ATF flush machine when there's no external ATF ports to hook up.

They billed me for 4 units (quarts?) at $18.40 each, added $90 on top (labor?) and then applied the discount.

Don’t know whether it’s in my head or not, I feel it’s running/shifting a bit smoother.

Back