CX-5 SD card update problem

Guys where is the drive 63 or so miles to pair SD card to vehicle info located? I downloaded mazda update toolbox and only thing it mentions is to have turned on ignition at least once after installing SD card.

I'm impatient and want to try an update...have only driven 5 miles since installing SD card lol.

Attachments

• 20210218_133227.jpg
    20210218_133227.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 217
Alright guys! My ebay card was recognized by Mazda update toolbox! Seems like you don't have to drive 63 miles to sync it. Like the screen shot showed, you only need to turn ignition on once to pair.

Also regarding when the 3 years starts. I bought my vehicle about 14 days ago and per the toolbox my 3 year period starts tomorrow the 19th. So it isn't from "in service" date but when you first get into Mazda toolbox, at least for me.

Last edited:
According to the Infotainment owner's manual (a separate manual from the car's) the car must be driven 63 miles to mate the card to the car. This may have changed but for my 2016.5 CX the manual is clear.

This below comes directly from the Mazda Connect page for my 2016.5 CX-5.

"Access to the most current maps will allow you to use your navigation system more conveniently and accurately. To be sure your Mazda Connect always has the latest updates, use the Mazda Toolbox to view and download available updates and content, including complimentary map updates for three years, commencing when the vehicle has traveled 100km (63 miles) with the SD card inserted."

According to the Infotainment owner's manual (a separate manual from the car's) the car must be driven 63 miles to mate the card to the car. This may have changed but for my 2016.5 CX the manual is clear.
Thanks Conrad, I wonder if it changed for 2021. I am going to check my manual now.

Maybe it's just for my specific situation that my card synced with only 1 ignition on sequence. Nevertheless it updated via mazda update toolbox so I am a happy camper. Ebay for the win. Saved me hundreds over dealership.

Side note, the SD card unlocked the stop sign/speed limit recognition and it is awesome. This is our first vehicle with a HUD which was cool but the added speed limits/stop sign HUD just puts it over the top for us. Maybe because we've never had HUD before, but we were both blown away with it lol.

Glad we bought the SD card and happy it worked with Mazda Update Toolbox.

I'm happy to report in that Mazda Tool Box finally recognized my SD card. Although previously reported that it wasn't able to recognize 2021 models yet, I don't believe that had anything to do with it.

Simply launching Mazda Toolbox as Admin seemed to fix my problem. For anyone else facing that same issue, it's worth a shot.

Hmm I wonder if I get 3 years worth of map updates or just 3 total for brand new vehicle. On mazda update tool box it says my expiration date for subscription is 2/19/2024 so I am assuming its 3 years?

Success is mine. I purchased a MazdaTD2K 66 EZ1 SD card in January 2021. My computer could read the card but, I was not able to update it. I tried every thing mentioned in this site to no avail. I read that a new map was ready in Feb and waited till May 2 to recheck if I could update the card and Presto, I was able to update the card. For those who couldn't update the card in January, try it now. Ed

Mine was recognized just after inserting into Nav once...The toolbox has to be running and then you insert the card.

Success is mine. I purchased a MazdaTD2K 66 EZ1 SD card in January 2021. My computer could read the card but, I was not able to update it. I tried every thing mentioned in this site to no avail. I read that a new map was ready in Feb and waited till May 2 to recheck if I could update the card and Presto, I was able to update the card. For those who couldn't update the card in January, try it now. Ed
Was this AFTER you drove the required 63 miles to mate the card to your car?

Here's an odd occurrence.

When I bought my used Miata it didn't come with a Nav card. I purchased a card from Amazon for $80. I inserted the card into the reader on the MX and started the car. The system would not recognize the card, at all, no matter what I did. I contacted the seller on Amazon and he agreed to send me out a new card. This one worked perfectly and I updated to the latest map version after it was mated to my car by driving at least 63 miles. The Toolbox told me that I had two more updates left in the three year period.

Yesterday I was cleaning off my desk here at home and came across the old SD card that didn't work. Just for the heck of it I inserted it into my computer and ran the Toolbox. The Toolbox recognized the card and told me that I had one more update left on this card before 2022 (don't remember the month but I think that the expiration date is the same as the replacement card). This card was never mated to my MX as it seemed to be inop at the time.

I didn't allow the update as I want to make sure that the card that's currently in the MX can be updated as was originally indicated. The MX is in the garage tucked in and covered up. I'll see what's what when I uncover it, very soon I hope!

I'm hoping that the original card is indeed working and since my CX-5 nav subscription ended in 2019 maybe I can use this card in the CX after updating it? I'll let ya'll know when I know.

Was this AFTER you drove the required 63 miles to mate the card to your car?

I'm curious to this as well. I was able to update my new ebay card after just inserting the SD card once and turning on the ignition and running vehicle for a minute or so while my CX9 was reading the new card and I messed with the settings.

Disable ALL antivirus / malware protection

-- use the RIGHT-CLICK run-as Administrator method for the toolbox .

Hold down the “Shift” key on your keyboard, then right-click the icon for the program you would like to launch. This only works on application launch files (EXE) or shortcuts to application launch files.

also a remote possibility is old code in the Mazda toolbox... but since others haven't chimed in this is a VERY remote idea:
Thank you CX-5 Driver!(y)
Ran the Toolbox as Administrator and it finally recognized my card. Then I was able to update to the latest February 2021 map version......mystery solved!! :)

I tried over the weekend, I was only able to find the November 2020 version USA for 2021 Cx5

Version TD2K66EZ1​

That's quite strange, I'm pretty sure the new Mazda system also uses iGo software / maps ...
So your maps are named *.fbl, and they all use the same files from update servers.

The newest maps are called Feb 2021, but in fact they are 2020Q2 just so you know :)
Updates are always behind when they're released, I don't know why.

Back