CX-5 SD card update problem

When Nav_Kings asked me for my VIN before they sent me the card they said "Need your vin. These new cards lock to your vin and can only be used in that vehicle. Need to add to the database or it wont work."

There is a license file on the card with the name Panasonic_Mazda_Gen7_NA_EV_HM_CW14_PROD_lb_M53WVT6TY63FCK9FBQWLFQWZEX_.lyc dated July 28, 2020.

I purchased a 2021 signature in Nov. I have the same issue as above with a factory Mazda Nav card. PC recognizes the card with the reader but toolbox doesnt see the card. Navigation works fine otherwise. ~2k miles on the card so it isnt a sync problem

I purchased a 2021 signature in Nov. I have the same issue as above with a factory Mazda Nav card. PC recognizes the card with the reader but toolbox doesnt see the card. Navigation works fine otherwise. ~2k miles on the card so it isnt a sync problem
That's interesting, does it look like the photo of the card I posted? I have noticed that there are now more sellers of these cards on eBay, and they don't all look like mine.

That's interesting, does it look like the photo of the card I posted? I have noticed that there are now more sellers of these cards on eBay, and they don't all look like mine.
My dealer card appears to have both the CE and FCC markings like yours does. Again, my card was inserted by the dealer and not purchased via and ebay/amazon seller.

20210211_184008.jpg

The dealer may have purchased it on line and sold it to you, was it on the window sticker? Also possible the update program has not been updated, has anyone been successful updating with the new 2021 cards?

The dealer may have purchased it on line and sold it to you, was it on the window sticker? Also possible the update program has not been updated, has anyone been successful updating with the new 2021 cards?
The Signatures explicitly come with the navigation SD card included, no purchase necessary. This was the card shipped with the car from Japan.

OP erhayes has GTR per his info, I do not think it comes with a nav card...

When Nav_Kings asked me for my VIN before they sent me the card they said "Need your vin. These new cards lock to your vin and can only be used in that vehicle. Need to add to the database or it wont work."

There is a license file on the card with the name Panasonic_Mazda_Gen7_NA_EV_HM_CW14_PROD_lb_M53WVT6TY63FCK9FBQWLFQWZEX_.lyc dated July 28, 2020.

Does this mean he is making these cards himself and editing the file to overwrite the previous VIN already on the card by chance?

I've read other people don't have to give their VIN to sellers...hmmm

No clue for gen7 and 2021 cards but the older cards for the previous years (2017-2020) are relatively easy to clone from what I read.
The map provider is the same for 2021 even though the system is different (panasonic) so hypothetically its the same clone process.
Only way to know for sure is to compare/verify the card CID for few cards from same seller but thats not easy in Windows.

No clue for gen7 and 2021 cards but the older cards for the previous years (2017-2020) are relatively easy to clone from what I read.
The map provider is the same for 2021 even though the system is different (panasonic) so hypothetically its the same clone process.
Only way to know for sure is to compare/verify the card CID for few cards from same seller but thats not easy in Windows.

What I did was send a message via Ebay and ask every single seller of the 2021 cards if they are OEM or clones and if they can be updated. I've received 3 replies so far and no one answered if they were clones but all of them said they cannot be updated at all.

I just picked up my 2021 CX9 so would like a card I could use to get the free 3 years updates and it's looking like buying from a dealer is the only option. I'll just keep using my phone for now.

Update: 1 seller has been very responsive and said he doesn't require VIN # like the navi-usa seller who has been mentioned on this forum. I am wondering if that navi guy requires VIN to go into the SD cards and manually update some files?

This seller said no refunds available but has a high rating and he said he has sold 20 of these 2021 SD mazda cards and so far no one has complained about failing to update the cards. But maybe no one has tried updating yet.

I plan to buy one and be the guinea pig and test to see if his card can be updated. He said it is true OEM but who really knows.

My original plan was to buy on Amazon so I can easily return if can't be updated. Unfortunately no Amazon cards are found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-080332_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210214-080332_eBay.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 119
Purchased card. Read sellers reviews on his other Mazda SD cards and some said they updated SD card with mazda tools no problem so hoping this one works.

I wonder if people who had issues already had a SD card paired and had a few updates available. Then they bought an ebay card and had trouble updating?

Mine is a brand new 2021 cx9 and didn't come with SD card. Will report back my results. Thanks!

Maybe this is obvious or you are already using the correct one, since this hasn't been mentioned already, but I got confused over this at the time, if you have the newer Mazda Connect, you need to use the Mazda Update Toolbox, not Mazda Toolbox, and vice versa if you have the older Mazda Connect.

Toolbox for new Mazda Connect:
1613415517061.png

Toolbox for older Mazda Connect:
1613415539318.png

Link to Mazda Update Toolbox:
Mazda Update Toolbox

Maybe this is obvious or you are already using the correct one, since this hasn't been mentioned already, but I got confused over this at the time, if you have the newer Mazda Connect, you need to use the Mazda Update Toolbox, not Mazda Toolbox, and vice versa if you have the older Mazda Connect.

View attachment 295396

View attachment 295397

Mazda Update Toolbox
Thanks I am new to Mazda and will be sure to use this....appreciate the link/photos.

View attachment 295396

View attachment 295397

Mazda Update Toolbox
Is there a way to verify which Mazda Connect I have, new or older so I can be sure to use the correct mazda toolbox. Thanks so much.

View attachment 295396

View attachment 295397

Mazda Update Toolbox
In relation to the original set of questions, I am (have been attempting to use at least...) the correct toolbox for my MY21 SD card. Doesn’t recognize the card even though the computer reads it just fine. I'll attempt launching it as admin and see if that does anything.

Hi folks. Just got my ebay card, supposedly for the 2021 Mazdas. Even before putting it into the cx9 I plugged it into my computer and reviewed some files, all say 2019 hmmm.

Now I just plugged into the SD slot in my vehicle and within 30 seconds it recognized the card and navi works. I plan to drive 70 miles or so to pair SD card then try to update it with mazda connect which is where the trouble begins for some, hopefully will go smoothly for me. 🤞

Last edited:
I called Mazda because I ran into an issue with upgrading the maps. I was informed by them that the SD card is different for 2021 CS-5's and the current software won't work. They are also aware that the map definitions need to be updated which will not take place until the spring/summer this year. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed. They cited the 'ol story that a 3rd party is working on it. A part of me is even more disappointed because they knowingly sold something that is defective - in my mind anyway.

Back