SD Navigation Card for a 2021?

Just found one advertised on E-Bay for 75.99. Been keeping my eye out for them daily, and this appears to be the first wave of these SD cards for a 2021 at fraction of the dealers' outrageous price. Hope it works!

right on schedule per my prediction in this post:

right on schedule per my prediction in this post:
Yes, that is one intelligent thing about Mazda's infotainment implementation. The sales person said all the same hardware is put into the car so it cuts down on hardware configuration control. I would check before you buy to be sure. For my car, they just popped a card into an existing slot. It turned out it was a defective card, but the next one worked.

The older cars I am familiar with had HDD or DVD implementations which were difficult to fix if they went bad, because the Alpine DVD units had to be ordered by the dealer.

Last edited:
Just found one advertised on E-Bay for 75.99. Been keeping my eye out for them daily, and this appears to be the first wave of these SD cards for a 2021 at fraction of the dealers' outrageous price. Hope it works!
Finally got it, and it does work, just plug in and play, did not need a map update. I also noticed it will run simultaneously with Google or Apple maps on Carplay, so it serves its purpose well as a backup in case the navigation screen on Carplay is lost due to poor cellular signal. Still does not have the actual traffic conditions or other features of Google or Apple, but as a backup it will suffice.

Very pleased, for $75, didn't have to pay dealers' inflated prices :giggle:

Just bought one too, from nav_kings on eBay. Did you have to give them your VIN? They told me it was a new requirement to activate the card, they needed my VIN for a database somewhere.

The card just shipped, so I don't have it yet.

Just bought one too, from nav_kings on eBay. Did you have to give them your VIN? They told me it was a new requirement to activate the card, they needed my VIN for a database somewhere.

The card just shipped, so I don't have it yet.
No, they did not request my VIN. Mine came from Nav_Kings, too

If you are curious to find out if your Mazda has the Nav installed, simple thing: Go into your Nav page. If you get the black screen where it says that "your car it's not equipped with wathever bla bla bla" don;t panic. Look for the geo coordinates. You should be able to see the latitude, longitude and altitude. If you see these three things, it means you have the gps system installed and you only need the SD card for the nav database. So, don;t fall for the amazing dealer offer of 400$ when it costs you 50-80$ if you buy the card from amazon or ebay.

Does anyone know if the factory 2020 SD nav cards or the copies on Amazon will work on a 2021? Before anyone says just use Apple/Android carplay, I want the factory Nav as a back-up. Thanks.
I recently upgraded my 2018 Nav software with my laptop. Google it and download the Mazda software update. Follow directions. It takes about 20 minutes to download your micro card AFTER you back up your current file. Pretty straight-forward. I have seen very few changes within my neighborhood. However, I only use my Nav if I am going out of town or to a local destination I’m not familiar with.

I recently upgraded my 2018 Nav software with my laptop. Google it and download the Mazda software update. Follow directions. It takes about 20 minutes to download your micro card AFTER you back up your current file. Pretty straight-forward. I have seen very few changes within my neighborhood. However, I only use my Nav if I am going out of town or to a local destination I’m not familiar with.
20 mins is great!
Try 1.5 hours for my 19 Subaru WRX and over 30 mins to update the car from a USB stick. I am told it is inefficient Harman software. And let me tell you OTA updates via WiFi — don’t even try it!

Does anyone know if the factory 2020 SD nav cards or the copies on Amazon will work on a 2021? Before anyone says just use Apple/Android carplay, I want the factory Nav as a back-up. Thanks.
Where are you finding factory 2020 SD nav card as that's what I'm seeking to buy! (I also want factory back up nav as tired of losing GPS when my cell service dies in the mountains!) Tks!

You may need a newer card version for the 2021's. The "J" card worked fine on our 2020 GTR. But revisions to the system for 2021 may preclude using an older version of the card like that one.

It looks like the latest version of the BHP166EZ1 card ends with an "N" suffix (yours is "J"), but I'm not even sure if that's for the 2021's or only an update for older ones. It may have a different base stock number now... or not. Don't know for sure. I think you're going to have to check with Mazda.

If 2021 is compatible with the "N" card but no previous version you may have to wait awhile to find it cheap. OTOH, if it's compatible with, say, an "M" card you should be able to find those reasonably priced. To wit, it appears that Mazda liquidates previous versions of the cards when a new on comes out, and that is why we are able to find them selling cheap but not the newest one. Make sense?
I cannot find a Nav Card for my 2020 GTR or I'm just dumb as a rock. Can you provide a link or give me the model number you got for your 2020 GTR & where you bought it? My hubby just got home from quad bypass and my brain is fried from the shock of this unexpected event in our lives...Tks!

I cannot find a Nav Card for my 2020 GTR or I'm just dumb as a rock. Can you provide a link or give me the model number you got for your 2020 GTR & where you bought it? My hubby just got home from quad bypass and my brain is fried from the shock of this unexpected event in our lives...Tks!

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Amazon: BHP166EZ1K

eBay: BHP166EZ1L

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I put a "J" card from Amazon in our 2020 GTR. Subsequent suffixes are released at each map update. So I'm pretty sure any of these will work,, with later ones progressively more up-to-date. But, reportedly, you get 3 free map update downloads with each card. So, if you're going to update it online soon anyway, I don't think it necessarily matters which of these you choose.

*(Note: I started with the "J" card since that worked in our '20 CX-5. I don't know first-hand if earlier ones might work or not. So to be safe I only listed from "J" on.)

Last edited:
I am about to purchase this ebay card for my 2021 but a few reviewers said card works great but doesn't allow them to update the maps at all.

Have any of you had the same problem? Maybe Mazda is locking these SD cards from being updated? Thanks!

Edit: I messaged the navi guy seller on ebay that was posted on this thread and he actually replied. He said most likely you can't update the card so told me not to purchase if I am hoping to use my 3 free updates.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it's not that big of a deal if you don't have the latest update because there are still errors. For example, although I updated to the latest update ( SEP 2020 ), I've been to at least two places and the map does not show them right.

Got 1 from Amazon for $35cad no problem with my 2021 GS-L. BHP166EZ1K CAN/USA/MEXICO
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

I got one for my 2021 mazda cx9 via ebay seller. Popped it in and works great, but haven't tried to update it yet tho.

Only issue is the map version states 2019. If this is for the new 2021 navi software on these new Mazdas, why would the version be on my SD card from 2019? Perhaps this is a counterfeit card? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210217_125340.jpg
    20210217_125340.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 167
Back