2017~2024 SD card question

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I was looking at the 2021 CX-5 Navigation system and it appears that only the top-tier vehicle comes with it. I questioned about getting Nav on the Carbon or Reserve models. The sales lady said, just order a card from ??. Does MAZDA sell thes cards and is it just a Plug & Play insert? Ed

Yes, Mazda sells these cards, for a crazy high price of ~$350.

Or you can check out the many threads on this forum on the subject and buy a card from Amazon or Ebay for considerably less, well under $100.

heck let me help further

Navigation card for the U.S, Canada, and Mexico is part number: BHP1 66 EZ1L

The last letter moves through the alphabet as the cards update.

I found the Nav card prices varies fro ~ $25 to $300+. That is ludicrous unless there is a quality difference. Ed

The 2021 CX-5 has the new upgraded infotainment system with the larger display like the new Mazda 3. Perhaps it may need the new SD card the Mazda 3 uses?

I found the Nav card prices varies fro ~ $25 to $300+. That is ludicrous unless there is a quality difference. Ed

No difference. What happens is navigation cards come with the car and are shipped to other regions where the maps don't apply so the card is removed and sold. To the seller the cards are "worthless" so they put them on Ebay for at least ~some money.

I purchased my new 2016.5 CX5 with Nav included. I purchased a used 2016 MX5 without Nav but ordered a Nav card from Amazon, ~$80. It worked perfectly, exactly like the system with the factory Nav card in every respect.

Now that I've figured out how to set a destination in the Nav, I like it OK. The user interface definately has some quirks though and the map data isn't as up to date and complete as Google Maps. For example, there is a major bridge out in Seattle, has been closed since April, yet the Nav still tries to route me over the closed bridge. I do have the latest map update installed.

Just so I understand - if I buy a 2021, I have to be careful because the $50 cards that are out there on Amazon and eBay won't work properly with the new display?

Mark

Correct.
While no one has directly tested this scenario (using 2020 model year cards in a 2021 model year) Mazda does have two different part numbers.

from the knowledge sharing document:

BHP1-66-EZ1NGEN2year of maps 2020
2021 model year with larger screenTD2K-66-EZ1GEN2year of maps 2020

I'd say give it another 1 to 2 months and the 2021 vehcile model year NAV cards will start showing up on the resellers on Amazon and eBay.

I’m thinking the reason why there are a lot of cheap NAV cards being sold is they have earlier generation maps. Once a new map update is ready, new cards go out with the new maps and they increment the letter at the end.

Dealers now have all the left over inventory to dump, but can’t do it officially, so throw them to eBay. At least, that’s the theory I’ve got.

Explains why you can never find current generation maps for much less than retail — not that you need to, because you can just update the old card as soon as you get it ... and continue to update it for 3 years after.

I’m thinking the reason why there are a lot of cheap NAV cards being sold is they have earlier generation maps. Once a new map update is ready, new cards go out with the new maps and they increment the letter at the end.

Dealers now have all the left over inventory to dump, but can’t do it officially, so throw them to eBay. At least, that’s the theory I’ve got.

Explains why you can never find current generation maps for much less than retail — not that you need to, because you can just update the old card as soon as you get it ... and continue to update it for 3 years after.

Close. You can get current generation maps for a reduced cost because vehicles are purchased in regions where the maps don't match the destination of the vehicle.

Example it could be financially better to buy a vehicle in America and ship it to Brazil. The American maps are "worthless" in Brazil, so the SD card is removed and sold.

The alternative theory is "fell off the back of the truck".

As I reported in another thread I tried the regularly available SD card from Amazon for the CX5 in my 2021 CX5 and it did nothing. This is the one I tried. Will look for the later version with the different prefix.

Attachments

• 16073446468412032700264218937933.jpg
    16073446468412032700264218937933.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 327
As I reported in another thread I tried the regularly available SD card from Amazon for the CX5 in my 2021 CX5 and it did nothing. This is the one I tried. Will look for the later version with the different prefix.
That’s for the 2020 and prior. 2021 has an upgraded infotainment.

Yes, Mazda sells these cards, for a crazy high price of ~$350.

Or you can check out the many threads on this forum on the subject and buy a card from Amazon or Ebay for considerably less, well under $100.
@Conrad 16.5 Can you pls provide a link to buying a Nav Card for my 2020 GTReserve? I've been searching and asking on here for a couple of hours and cannot find anything. Most people are referring to older years and not the Reserve. One guy accidently posted his was a 2020 Reserve but later said it was a 2019....

@Lynn

You need part...
BHP1-66-EZ1N

Notice the last letter.. this moves through the alphabet as the maps get newer. So BHP1-66-EZ1O would also work but this part number is not yet available.

If you want a slightly older map use BHP1-66-EZ1M

Plenty to be had on EBAY:

This info a bit earlier in this thread and the part numbers are also documented...Knowledge sharing document:

CX-5 General knowledge and information sharing

A simple document that attempts to capture the common parts and pieces used by the CX-5 community into a single place for easier reference. Post and discussion can be found...

@Conrad 16.5 Can you pls provide a link to buying a Nav Card for my 2020 GTReserve? I've been searching and asking on here for a couple of hours and cannot find anything. Most people are referring to older years and not the Reserve. One guy accidently posted his was a 2020 Reserve but later said it was a 2019....
I'm sorry Lynn but I don't know the part number for your model year. I believe that CX5_Driver above has the answer for you.

@Lynn

you need part
BHP1-66-EZ1N

Notice the last letter.. this moves through the alphabet as the maps get newer. So
BHP1-66-EZ1O would also work .. but this part number is not yet available.

If you want a slightly older map use BHP1-66-EZ1M

plenty to be had on EBAY:

The "N" cards are going for way too much right now. I know from experience 2020's will accept BHP1-66-EZ1J (and therefore, onward). It will be a lot cheaper to get a J, K, L, or M than an N.

And I don't think it really matters which one you get. I'd go for the cheapest one (new only) as long as it's from a reliable source. (see below)

It appears Mazda liquidates older SKU's of these when a new update comes out,. Which is why there are so many earlier cards available on the cheap, but current cards (presumably "N" right now) go for big bucks.

Yet, with the 3 free online updates included with each card, any of the older ones can easily be updated to the same map specs as the current card.

I am looking for my 2014 Mazda CX5 that uses TomTom navigation cards. When I updated mine, it was no longer recognized. I tried purchasing three different ones from Amazon and ebay and nono has worked because since 2015 apparently CX5 has a different nav system.

Back