ScanGauge II steering column mount

:
'16 CX-9, '19 GTI
I don't think I've seen this before, so thought I'd share...

I got a ScanGauge II for Xmas. Everyone knows what those do, so I won't get into the specs. Anyway, I was trying to figure out where to put it. There were a few spots on the dash, but none of them looked quite right. The faux-ashtray was a perfect fit, but I didn't like having the display so far from my line of sight. The steering column would have been perfect, but the gauge was either too low (i.e., I couldn't see the display) or too high (i.e., it blocked the odometer and gas gauge). I thought about putting it on top of the rearview mirror. I still think that might be a good spot and I may move it there at some point, but for now, I got fixated on figuring out a way to mount it on the steering column. In order for that to work, I had to prop it up by about 1 cm. Here's what I ended up with:

DSC_0073.jpg

In the above pic, the bottom of the odo and trip read-out are blocked, but that's not really the case. And here's a side shot to get a sense of how I did it:

DSC_0076.jpg

I took a piece of aluminum flashing, cut it to the width of the ScanGauge, scored it 2.5 cm and 3.5 cm down its length, and bent it in a U shape. I left a lot of extra material in the base so that I could slip it back into the dash opening above the steering column. I was going to stick to down to the steering column, but the friction from the flap along the top edge of the steering column opening has been sufficient to keep it in place. I used a 3M Command adhesive strip to hold the gauge on top of the mount. And, finally, I slipped the coiled gauge cord into the top of the steering column opening. I'm sure that adds to the friction holding the mount in place.

It's not pretty if you look closely, but because of its location, you won't notice from the driver's seat. And the best part? It cost me less than $10 (~$3 for 10 pieces of flashing and ~$5 for the package of Command strips).

Happy New Year!
Patrick.

Not bad, gives me an idea what to do with my DH, currently stuck to the column with super velcro and double sided tape. Easily visible but, hmm, not too attractive either.

BTW, you can remover the rubber top trim from the steering column (push up on the plastic at the holes for the levers, then pop loose the rubbery part from that) Then you could trim down the mount and slide it between the rubber and the plastic. The reinstall the steering column part and you're clean and secure.

I just put some velcro on the top of the steering column/bottom of the SGII, and wow, it still there for $1. LOL.

I just put some velcro on the top of the steering column/bottom of the SGII

Initially, I'd planned to do that, but with the shape of the steering column, I found that the ScanGauge either blocked the odometer and gas gauge, or the ScanGauge was too low to see.

Back