ScanGauge II installed

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
I don't know about you guys, but I really need to have information like coolant temperature, voltage, intake air temperature, and ignition timing or air/fuel ratio displayed. Ideally, that would include oil temperature and pressure.

The ScanGauge II can display not only 4 of 16 different parameters, but also can reveal codes for malfunctions. It is very compact and plugs into your OBD II port. As is the SG II in my MX5, this one is mounted in the front part of the center console. You can set the display background color to any of dozens of colors and color mixtures.

ScanGauge.jpg

As you can see, I chose the top two displays as coolant temperature and air intake temperature in degrees F. The bottom two are ignition timing in degrees and DC voltage. Typically, coolant temps are 180-182F, ignition at idle varies a bit, but is around 6-8 degrees (BTDC), intake air temps vary with outside temps but stay very near at highway speeds and can reach 20 degrees higher in stop & go driving. Heat soak while the car sits for a while can show a spike in temperature of more than 20 degrees, but drops fairly quickly, once the car is moving. The Mazdaspeed CAI in my MX5 rarely strays from ambient (outside)temps (true CAI). DC voltage ranges from 14-14.7.

In order to see the display, better, I cut off a length of aluminum L-channel and bent it, accordingly. I'll have to make it look better, but here's what it looks like, now:

ScanGauge_Tilted.jpg

Warning: Unless your ScanGauge has been software-upgraded to at least version 4.02 (4.13 is the latest), the display will not turn off after you turn off the ignition. In earlier versions, the unit would monitor engine RPM to shut down the display when the RPMs dropped to 0. However, SkyActive engines' OBDIIs do not output zero RPMs when the ignition is turned off. Hybrid engines typically shut down at stop lights, so neither engine will cause older ScanGauges to shut down.

The newer firmware allows you to set display shutoff, based upon voltage dropping to 12.5, which happens within less than 30 seconds after you cut the ignition.

Really, this unit should've been built-in at the factory. It is compact, reliable, and highly informative.

Have it since 2008 on my CX9. Love it.
Look into how to program it to show ATF temp.
There is a thread in CX9 forum for that. I started it.
The default mode does not include ATF temp.

Really? I didn't know that. That would be another good-to-know output. I guess I'd have to buy an oil filter sandwich plate to access oil temp and pressure - two of my favorites, although I'd have to have either a pillar pod (round gauges) or room somewhere to install rectangular, digital readout gauges.

Do you have the "X" version?
It stands for "programmability" (extension).
With "X" version, you can program certain extra codes to display model specific gauges.
In the case of Mazda/CX9, I can only program ATF temp.

My user manual is version 6.2 and it does show that option, at least it does in the booklet. I'll have to check it out. The reason why I like oil temp and/or pressure is it allows me to know when accelerating, briskly is not hurting the engine. Fortunately, our oil is incredibly thin, so my guess is that oil temps climb to operating temp, quickly. Coolant temp certainly does. My car just hit 3000 miles, this week, so I may not be changing the oil for a while. When I do, I'll see how much room is in front of the oil filter. Then again, it may not be wise to add sensors and wiring while the car is under warranty.

Got 1 on the MINI, had to install 1 on the M3. Sleep set on voltage does work. My issue is it sometimes turns display off randomly & I'd have to press lowest right menu button to spring it back to life. I've played w/ slow, normal & fast read speeds. Fast seems to work best, but it still blanks at times. Anyone got this issue? Never had this happen w/ the MINI.

Occasionally, the display in my 3 doesn't appear, automatically (within 30 seconds) after I start the engine. Pressing the lower right button does turn on the display, but it is an enigma as to why this happens, maybe 20% of the time. I did mention it to the ScanGauge folks. It never happens with my MX5 SG.

Perhaps SG tech guys should look into the compatibility w/ SkyActiv engines. My display randomly blanks after it has shown, then would pop back up unpredictably w/o menu being pressed. Not a bothersome issue, though, as it works normally most of the time.

Last edited:
Do you have voltage displayed when this happens? If so, what does it show when the display reappears after having blanked out? I wonder if voltage is dropping, momentarily, just before this happens.

I've got voltage displayed. You say 12.5v sets it off? That's rather high for a cut out, so if batt is unhealthy, the gauge won't help us? Anyway to reprogram this? Never noticed any abnormal readings but I'll look into that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, but a healthy battery will typically put out 13+ volts when being charged. As shown in my fist post, my voltage reading, at 14.0, is fairly high in the 3. My MX5's voltage is closer to 13v.

Yup, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of the voltmeter. I presume it's normal to see voltage drops upon sudden loads like that of the AC, lights, etc. That's what I see in other cars, but they were all set at rpm sleep.

The manufacturer can set the screen-out voltage to any number, I'd imagine, but unless you're a software programmer, changing the firmware, yourself would be a tough nut to crack. The risk is setting that screen cutoff, too low. In that case, the display would stay on all the time.

Figured that risk, too. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me as it works normally more often than going blank.
Have you figured setting up boost & ATF temp?
Appreciate much the inputs, concept!

...happy to offer input, minsanity.

You can monitor manifold pressure, but I don't have a turbo or supercharger, so there's no need to look at boost, for now. I may try to bring up ATF temps, this weekend.

Haha, yeah, forgot this was an NA engine. Was in the twilight zone a moment there. Anyway, I can confirm that upon engine shut off, SG2 waits for voltage to drop to 12.5v before sleeping. However, I've never seen charging to drop or hit even 13v. I'll continue to monitor.
Thanks again, concept.:)

Interesting to see your centre console Concept.
The climate control is slightly different to the one on my car, and yours doesnt have the DVD sign next to the CD player thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruns,
It looks like this, but I can take an actual close-up photo of my own and post here, tonight or tomorrow night when I have some time.

2014_Mazda3_Review_0004-thumb-530xauto-32275.jpg

Thank you...
It was just the centre console (climate control area) that seemed different.
Like yours has more labels on the buttons.

Check out mine's

Back