S-Plan Pricing?

Anyone know what the S-Plan price is for a 2021 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD? I have a certificate for S-Plan pricing and can't tell if dealer is actually giving it to me. It's supposed to be non-negotiable easy buying and it's not.

Straight from Mazda’s website:
  • The Mazda Employee Pricing S-Plan price is equal to the total dealer invoice price including freight and any voluntary assessments and state-regulated fees.
  • Every new Mazda vehicle has an individual Mazda Employee Pricing S-Plan price. The amount is printed in the lower left corner of the factory invoice and labeled as “SPLAN.”
Invoice plus destination is $41,038 for a GT FWD with no options. Could also ask them for the factory invoice to see what it says there, although I don’t think they’ll give it to you. Other caveats on Mazda’s website are that the dealers are free to add doc fees and S-Plan doesn’t cover accessories. Obviously TTL is added as well.

What price are they telling you?

In many states the documentation fee is optional by law and capped by law. In my state the law says it's optional and no more than $150 at most. Your state probably varies. Something like this...get the car price set first, then scratch out the doc fee on the first copy of the contract they print for your review. Destination charge and tax, title, & license are about the only fees you must pay.

The only thing easy at a car dealer is to smile and hand them your checkbook. Otherwise everything is a battle. They need to sell a car today and never think about happy return customers who may refer friends.

Well they told me cash price of $39,288 which included the $750 Mazda loyalty rebate. The MSRP on the car was $43,315 and they had it listed for $40,038 with dealer discounts. But then the sales contract they gave me had $41,631 for cash price and further down on the page the $750 rebate was there. When I gave them the SPLAN cert they said they were already basically selling it to me at invoice less the loyalty rebate. Then the totals didn't jive and apparently they added all around window tint with lifetime warranty, wheel locks and door edge film to the sales price for an additional $1593. Seems high on the add-ons that I did not ask for but I do like the window tint. I never realized my 2010 was not tinted very well. So I guess it's a good deal. I just felt like they failed to mention the add-ons and couldn't tell if I was really right around invoice or not. I had another dealer actually send me the invoice today for a silver one and the SPLAN price was noted as $40,775 on a $43,040 MSRP car.

I really struggled with the extended warranty and stuff they try to sell you. The Optimus VSC to extend to 10 years and 150 miles didn't seem bad at $1858. Anyone have experience with that? Also the Optimum Protection plan was not bad to cover key fob replacement, wheel repair, tire issues, PDR, glass and a few other perks for $1499 for 7 years. Still on the fence about it.

Window tint: $300 max
Wheel locks: $30
edge film: $30

Don't pay $1593 for stuff that costs $360.

Also, never, ever pay a "doc fee". It's a made up term that means absolutely nothing but profit for the stealership. If they insist they can't remove the "doc fee" from the buyer's order, then remove it from the price of the car.

All those dealer add ons are there to make the dealership money. They aren’t there to benefit you. I always pass on the add ons.

@theblooms, I try to avoid doc fees, but I paid one this last time after talking them down $6k (used, not new). I hate going to dealerships but won’t do a private sale because people suck. As much as Tesla gets wrong, their approach to selling cars is much better. The price listed on their website is the price you pay and then they ship it to one of their “retail locations” for you to pick up. No haggling. No finance office. No four squares.

@txracerd, I would go with the dealership that is more upfront with you. First one seems shady

I really struggled with the extended warranty and stuff they try to sell you. The Optimus VSC to extend to 10 years and 150 miles didn't seem bad at $1858. Anyone have experience with that? Also the Optimum Protection plan was not bad to cover key fob replacement, wheel repair, tire issues, PDR, glass and a few other perks for $1499 for 7 years. Still on the fence about it.
No strugge at all. Just say, "nothing extra." Period. Who is Optimus? Will they still be around if you need them? Don't count on it. So called extended warranties (Optimus calls theirs a Vehicle Service Contract, 'cuz legally none of these are a warranty) are rarely a good deal. Think of them as expensive peace of mind insurance. If that's the only way you'll sleep easy--buy it. Otherwise fund your own repairs. None of the extended vehicle service agreements start until the factory warranty has expired. Ditto for the other stuff--I've never known anyone to spend that much money for actual repair or replacement of the items listed. You have your car insurance that will cover some of it. Everything extra that the dealer sells is overpriced and/or unneeded. If you want it, it'll be cheaper and likely better elsewhere. Key fob--half the price from a local locksmith. Wheel repair...available locally. Ditto for dent repair, glass repair, etc.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful. They didn't break out the four corners but close enough. Lol. They had to get this car in trade from another dealer so I'm not sure if the add-ons happened there. Otherwise they are very reputable in our area and the out the door price was still better than the other dealer giving the SPLAN. ;) I had a hard time finding the blue one I wanted.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful. They didn't break out the four corners but close enough. Lol. They had to get this car in trade from another dealer so I'm not sure if the add-ons happened there. Otherwise they are very reputable in our area and the out the door price was still better than the other dealer giving the SPLAN. ;) I had a hard time finding the blue one I wanted.
The Mazda blue is a very nice looking color. If our 4Runner wasn’t nautical blue, I probably would have looked for a blue CX-9

Back