Rust behind engine? What's this part?

:
2013 CX-5 GT
Hello, I was adding windshield fluid to my 2013 CX-5 and noticed this (back of engine):

20210523_160638.jpg

It doesn't look good...What is the name and function of this part? Thanks!

Thanks for your swift answer BWJ! Is it easy to replace or no need to do this? And what is the function of the blue cable? New to this world :)

Upvote 0
The cable is for the NOX sensor at the end of the cable and no need to replace the heat shield for many years.

Upvote 0
Hi @speedy8727, if the appearance of the heat shield bothers you, you can clean it up with a good engine degreaser and a nylon brush. With the engine cold, spray the degreaser on the areas you want to clean, let it sit for a minute or so (don't let it dry), then brush the area down and rinse it off.

Honestly though, it's nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
Hi @speedy8727, if the appearance of the heat shield bothers you, you can clean it up with a good engine degreaser and a nylon brush. With the engine cold, spray the degreaser on the areas you want to clean, let it sit for a minute or so (don't let it dry), then brush the area down and rinse it off.

Honestly though, it's nothing to worry about.
Hi sm1ke, I was more worried about the corrosion around the bolt, it is a "gap" now.

Upvote 0
update: WARNING! THIS DOES CAUSE SMOKING AND POTENTIAL FIRE! I had two short trips and the fluid film didn't smoke, but on my two medium trips the fluid film smoked and stunk. And the nature of fluid film makes it not all burn off at once, it will smell on the 2nkd or 3rd medium trips. So if you use FF in this hot area use it sparingly. I don't think there is much of a chance for a fire because there's not enough FF, but there is the potential. And picky people will hate the faint burning odor.

Glad you showed yours. I just went outside and hit mine with fluid film. They didn't coat the bolts with anything that are on that part, the back bolts were rusty. Almost like sacrificial bolts that would be cut off if work was ever needed. FF will probably burn off but it should slow down the rust. I also spotted some allen head bolts that had no coating and were rusting so I hit them with FF.

Shield.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back