Roof Rack Questions and (Eventually) answers - 2018 CX5

Nice, neat fit. Are you going to leave the cross bars permanently installed? How difficult is it to remove / reinstall them?

I am leaving them on for now as i work out the kinks and get used to them. I didnt install the rubber correctly so there is a lot of noise, but after researching this, it was my error. Once i am satisfied with the fitment and complete my MPG review, i will decide then.

I was averaging 27.7-29MPG without it, so i am going to see what happens on the next two fill ups.

Taking them on and off is about a 5 minute process, and since i bought the strips that have the cutouts, i can remove them whenever i want and look factory within 5 minutes.

snip...
Ok, the plot thickens for me.

The dealer confirmed that the roof rack does hold 165lbs, as the 100lb limit was for the older model. The previous gen had elevated rails that allowed the cross bars to be put in multiple locations, limiting their weight capacity. So this generation does have a fixed cross bar position, even with the rails installed.

I'm a little confused about your statement above concerning the roof rack weight ratings. I have a 2016.5 CX-5, I assume that's the generation you refer to as the 'previous gen' with the adjustable crossbars? I just purchased a Mazda roof rack and cross bars and I was wondering where you saw the 100lb rating? I'm looking at the official Mazda installation instructions for both the rack and crossbars and they both state an evenly distributed weight rating of 165lbs.

a couple quick updates:

1) The rubber on the feet and taken the mold of the vehicle now making a tighter looking fit.
2) I have gone through 1.5 tanks of gas now and i have not seen any change in MPGs. I am holding between 28-29 consistently.

So after installing, i had a major whistle that was beyond insane. Turns out, i may have had a drink or two to many as i missed a critical step in the install. After cutting the correct pieces and putting them into place, these things are deadly quiet. The only noise is from turbulent air that i could hear when i was doing 80 on a 2 hour drive in the country. Other than that, i forget these things are even on.

snip...

I'm a little confused about your statement above concerning the roof rack weight ratings. I have a 2016.5 CX-5, I assume that's the generation you refer to as the 'previous gen' with the adjustable crossbars? I just purchased a Mazda roof rack and cross bars and I was wondering where you saw the 100lb rating? I'm looking at the official Mazda installation instructions for both the rack and crossbars and they both state an evenly distributed weight rating of 165lbs.

We looked at the computer where he pulls the parts and this is what we both saw. This has been an interesting topic for some folks, and i do not know with 100% certainty which applies to what yr or combo, but its what i saw when we looked at the difference.

I am on my third tank of fuel since installing them full time.

1) Fuel mileage has not been detectable impacted. I still hold mid 28 mpg's.
2) I will most likely be pulling them off when they are not needed (even though i love the look of it on full time) as the wind noise has me keeping my sunroof closed. They do not whistle anymore (i read the directions sober and found what i missed) but the turbelent noise is annoying with the glass open. Barely noticeable with it closed.

Next up, i will be looking into the basket as we are going to try to get outdoors more this summer with our dogs in the back.

Test fitted the setup and got the mounts aligned.

And I got my new plate [emoji3]

a24f11cc10d87cf8e1dd977a02513b8e.jpg

7fe0b894f334c9ce0c7b6deca118ef91.jpg

a6acecf33e4c5beb96581c9d91b09ad7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so jealous my dude. I want roof racks and kayaks and adventures! Exactly why I bought an SUV, for adventure space ;)

I'm so jealous my dude. I want roof racks and kayaks and adventures! Exactly why I bought an SUV, for adventure space ;)
Thanks bud. It has been an adjustment but I like it a lot. Ask me again on Sunday to see how I feel after hitting the water and then needing to put them back on top haha

Well, turns out time is needed... Ran about 5 tanks through her now and she dropped economy... running about 25.6 MPGs now and the other day it went into the low 24's (high winds). So after deciding i will not be taking the yaks out this week, i took off the rack system.

With that said, the uninstall time was about 5 minutes while drinking beer. I am thankful i bought the channels with covers from the factory as i can take these on and off as needed and the car looks stock again. I have also used this system to move things like my new 8' sun shade and my gas trimmer. So all in all, i am still thrilled with the purchase.

For those wanting an video instructions on how to install roof racks on 2017/2018 CX-5:

The video shared is useful for those who want to install the factory rails versus the route i went. I do not have the rails, only cross bars.

I just got my roof rails installed on Friday by the dealership. I haven’t decided on the crossbars tho. My go with Thule, but may go with factory.

a9456fc4b110d94fe3960881674a999a.jpg

35d1906d4db4117dff3102f1c37d834e.jpg

1a03e0714758b5870e55c021f60c1d6f.jpg

Looks sharp. I would look at other brands outside of factory (even though the facotry ones are Thule) and focus on the tie down points. The factory ones are a PITA and can scratch the paint when taking on and off.

Back