Rip 2019 CX-5 GTR

Wow, that*s surprising your air bags didn*t go off. Glad you*re ok!
On a side note, why do people obscure their license plates when posting pictures? It kind of pointless.

Sucks that your back and back are hurting. Hopefully the insurance company will compensate.

Sucks that your back and back are hurting. Hopefully the insurance company will compensate.

I didn't see him post that, but now that you mention it,

OP, are you going to sue the other driver's insurance? That's quite a hit and I think you'd win or they would settle. Other driver has already admitted fault.

I'd like to hear what happens.

Last edited:
don't settle on anything until you know you both are injury free. Don't fake injuries(people who do this are scum imo...no character), but give it some time to be sure.

I'm actually in eastern PA (Allentown area). My wife wasn't with me, one of my adult sons was. We both got banged up but nothing serious. My son got some nasty bruises.
The 2019 Dodge Charger I got pushed into was able to drive away. My front got some damage but not enough to set off my airbags. Perhaps because I was stopped with my foot on the brake helped slow the force going forward with the back taking the brunt. The air bag went off in the MB that hit me. The tow guys had to pry my CX-5 away from the MB.

An insurance claims rep once told me that I should be able to see the car's rear tires when I stop behind a car. This is to prevent being shoved into the car in front of you if rear-ended. My sister was given a ticket for hitting the car in front of her even though the ultimate fault was the car that struck and totaled her car. I hope your back heals - I would also see a physician just in case. No need to settle the claim right away.

I also purchased ERIE total loss insurance for my CX-5 instead of the extended warranty. The policy in VA is for two years only and it only added about $50 to our bill for our two cars. We do not drive much (< 8500 mi/yr) since we carpool/use public transportation to get to work; and have perfect driving records.

An insurance claims rep once told me that I should be able to see the car's rear tires when I stop behind a car. This is to prevent being shoved into the car in front of you if rear-ended. My sister was given a ticket for hitting the car in front of her even though the ultimate fault was the car that struck and totaled her car. I hope your back heals - I would also see a physician just in case. No need to settle the claim right away.

I also purchased ERIE total loss insurance for my CX-5 instead of the extended warranty. The policy in VA is for two years only and it only added about $50 to our bill for our two cars. We do not drive much (< 8500 mi/yr) since we carpool/use public transportation to get to work; and have perfect driving records.

Seeing the front tires is good advise but it doesn't always work. When you're hit from the rear your tendency is to remove your foot from the brake and then you get pushed into the car in front of you. If the car behind hits you at 20 you might be able to stop but if you're slammed at 40 you're not going to be able to avoid ramming into the car ahead.
Your sister should of fought that ticket.

When you're hit from the rear your tendency is to remove your foot from the brake and then you get pushed into the car in front of you. If the car behind hits you at 20 you might be able to stop but if you're slammed at 40 you're not going to be able to avoid ramming into the car ahead.

Another great reason to use auto hold!

Another great reason to use auto hold!

You gotta be pointed downhill for that to work, don't you?

I've tried to engage it once or twice, but I think the circumstances weren't right.

eta: Never mind. I figured it out. I've been using it wrong. You don't turn it on to engage it after you've stopped, you have it engaged as you are driving. The "Only works when pointed downhill" thing is if the car is in Reverse.

Last edited:
My sister was given a ticket for hitting the car in front of her even though the ultimate fault was the car that struck and totaled her car.

I'd ask if there's more to this story, but having lived in Virginia most of my life, I've seen people get speeding tickets for doing 28 in a 25. So it would not surprise me.

I have to say, comparing your rear end damage to the Mercedes front end, the Mazda construction did very well.

Good to hear there were no injuries and hopefully nothing pops up later. Thats a big hit from behind.

Back