Rip 2019 CX-5 GTR

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
Sucks that my first post is an obituary. 4 months & 2300 miles my silver 2019 CX-5 GTR is no more. (sad1)

A few weeks ago while stopped in traffic, an elderly woman in a MB SUV rear ended my GTR pushing me into the vehicle in front of me. She claims she hit the gas instead of the brake while doing about 40 mph. Fortunately no one was seriously injured except for my GTR which was totaled. Thankfully I have new car replacement on my insurance so that will make up any difference over what the woman's insurance pays. I'm currently waiting on "the check's in the mail" from the insurance so I can replace my GTR. I'm 99% certain I'm getting the identical vehicle in the same color. It would be nice if I could replace it with a 2020 version of the same vehicle but from what I can gather, the 2020 CX-5's are a few months out.

Sucks that my first post is an obituary. 4 months & 2300 miles my silver 2019 CX-5 GTR is no more. (sad1)

A few weeks ago while stopped in traffic, an elderly woman in a MB SUV rear ended my GTR pushing me into the vehicle in front of me. She claims she hit the gas instead of the brake while doing about 40 mph. Fortunately no one was seriously injured except for my GTR which was totaled. Thankfully I have new car replacement on my insurance so that will make up any difference over what the woman's insurance pays. I'm currently waiting on "the check's in the mail" from the insurance so I can replace my GTR. I'm 99% certain I'm getting the identical vehicle in the same color. It would be nice if I could replace it with a 2020 version of the same vehicle but from what I can gather, the 2020 CX-5's are a few months out.

Honestly? I'd see if I couldn't work something out until the 2020's hit. Glad you're okay!

First, glad nobody was hurt! Second, got any pics of the wreck? I'm just curious to see how well the CX-5 took the hit.

Honestly? I'd see if I couldn't work something out until the 2020's hit. Glad you're okay!

I would try to do the same. If you decide you don't want a 2020, you'll likely be able to pick up a brand new 2019 leftover at a discount, and put the extra cash into some minor upgrades like PPF, tint, floor/cargo mats, etc.

Thanks

First, glad nobody was hurt! Second, got any pics of the wreck? I'm just curious to see how well the CX-5 took the hit.

I would try to do the same. If you decide you don't want a 2020, you'll likely be able to pick up a brand new 2019 leftover at a discount, and put the extra cash into some minor upgrades like PPF, tint, floor/cargo mats, etc.

I do have pictures if I can figure out how to upload them.

I added a bunch of upgrades the week after I bought my GTR. My insurance adjuster had me submit the invoices I had for the upgrades & reimbursed me separately for them. The only removable items that weren't damaged were the Canadian OEM floorliners.

The scrapper side of me thinks it would be nice to pull the turbocharger and have it sitting on the shelf as a spare.

How much extra is that "new car replacement" coverage for you?

With Erie Insurance it's $69/year for the 2019 CX-5 & $71/year for my wife's 2018 Outback.
I believe they'll include it for the first 2 years. My son's 2014 Mazda 3 got broadsided a couple years ago & he got a brand new 2016.
Well worth the money for just such occasions.

The Erie adjuster has to get quotes for 2 dealers on the current equivalent version of the car & use the lowest of the quotes. I'm basically getting what I paid for the CX-5.

Last edited:
The scrapper side of me thinks it would be nice to pull the turbocharger and have it sitting on the shelf as a spare.

Once a car is totaled you can't do that. It is the insurance companies property.

Sorry for your loss and glad you're ok. I have new car replacement insurance on my very recently purchased Signature here in Colombia. I don't have a break down handy but total cost for the year about $1000US.

Attempting accident picture upload. Front & back & MB that caused accident

Sy5VFO6.jpg

ckWT6L2.jpg

hOCv0Tx.jpg

Glad that everyone is okay...

Man, I wish you were closer, I want that engine and tranny!
Not a chance even if you live near by, unless you can trace the standard operation procedure of that insurance company finding out where this CX-5 wreck is going to be auctioned, and you also need a license to be in the event to get the entire wreck, not just the engine and transmission.

This woman is honest! Few others may claim unintended acceleration by her vehicle, as most unintended acceleration cases actually were happened IMO, just trying to avoid responsibility!

Based on the pictures you posted, the CX-5 held well in the rear-end collision.

Yeah glad that everyone is okay!

Not a chance even if you live near by, unless you can trace the standard operation procedure of that insurance company finding out where this CX-5 wreck is going to be auctioned, and you also need a license to be in the event to get the entire wreck, not just the engine and transmission.

Not a chance my ass! maybe for you, but it's nothing new to me... There's a wrecked auto auction about a mile from my house, and my buddy who's in the auto body business buys them on the weekly. The cars that come through there are astonishing to say the least, and just about any car getting written off within 60 miles of here comes through this auction...

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss and glad you're ok. I have new car replacement insurance on my very recently purchased Signature here in Colombia. I don't have a break down handy but total cost for the year about $1000US.

Thanks.

I see you're in Cali. The mother of my younger son's girlfriend is from Cali. They have still have relatives there. My son went with his girlfriend & family to visit 2 Christmas's ago.
He has an "It's Colombia, not Columbia" t-shirt.

That sucks, are you up in Erie? I'm in Erie and we just purchased a 19' CX-5 GT this week. Glad to see it can take a hit! Even better your wife was ok!

That sucks, are you up in Erie? I'm in Erie and we just purchased a 19' CX-5 GT this week. Glad to see it can take a hit! Even better your wife was ok!

I'm actually in eastern PA (Allentown area). My wife wasn't with me, one of my adult sons was. We both got banged up but nothing serious. My son got some nasty bruises.
The 2019 Dodge Charger I got pushed into was able to drive away. My front got some damage but not enough to set off my airbags. Perhaps because I was stopped with my foot on the brake helped slow the force going forward with the back taking the brunt. The air bag went off in the MB that hit me. The tow guys had to pry my CX-5 away from the MB.

Back