Rim protectors? Anyone using them?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Soooo last year my wife curbed one of my wheels. Today she curbed another one. 😑

I could get the curb damage repaired, but since it's likely she would just curb another wheel again, I considered getting some rim protectors to "hide" the curb damage. Here's how one wheel looks:

20210324_135724.jpg

The other wheel is a little worse, but like this one, the damage is only on the lip. Has anyone used RimSavers? They seem like the most user friendly option.

• Sad
Reactions: 323
I am not confident that 3M tape is enough to keep that in place when curbing happens.

Look at the bright side, scratched wheels prove that this car has been to places.... :)

Last edited:
Just bought some wheel blades like a month ago after I got a bit of rash from a curb. I have yet to install them though. Will update with pics once done

I am not confident that 3M tape is enough to keep that in place when curbing happens.

Look at the bright side, scratched wheels prove that this car has been to placers.... :)

I mean, you're probably right, but if it can help to prevent damage and hide the existing damage, I figure why not, right? Lol.

Ideally I would just have the damaged wheels repaired and repainted, but because this is a "custom" colour, I'd need to get all four wheels repainted. I'd probably be looking at $400-500 CAD after all is said and done. Plus I can't guarantee that I'd be the only driver, so the risk that she might kiss the curb again remains.

Thanks @TimPro, I'd appreciate that.

I installed them today and I’m very satisfied. A few thoughts:

They were easier to install than I thought they’d be.
They are barely noticeable on my particular wheels/color.
They look as good as how well you install them.
This is a pic of the worst one I did. By the 4th, I was a pro.
BCBF7AA6-F39E-4C71-A2A0-8ED7E4B88F6E.jpeg

Nice, the only way you can tell is the seam in the top left.

My only issue now is colour.. they don't sell them in the colour of my wheels, so I'd have to either try and paint match them after they've been installed, or go with red to match the centercaps. I'm worried that if I go red, it'll be too much red. Hmm..

Oops, forgot to update this thread. I ended up ordering a roll of the cheap stuff from Aliexpress, just to see if I would be into the look. It came in a couple of weeks ago, and I installed it on one of my wheels. Covered up the rash nicely, but I just didn't like the look. I ended up taking it off and using some bronze nail polish as touch up paint to tide me over until I decide to do something more permanent (get new wheels or get these ones repaired and repainted). Pics below:

20210416_195308.jpg

20210416_195425.jpg

20210416_201941.jpg

20210416_195451.jpg

20210416_201924.jpg

It was worth the $10 just to see if I would like the look or not.

Hm. I liked the look.

I'm thinking of doing rim protectors for my CX-5... are you serious that the "cheap stuff" is only $10?? Man. The "brands" are in the $110-$180 range.

How hard/easy was the install?

I'll post pics that I photoshopped of my CX-5 to see which colour I would like, or if I would like the look at all.

Hm. I liked the look.

I'm thinking of doing rim protectors for my CX-5... are you serious that the "cheap stuff" is only $10?? Man. The "brands" are in the $110-$180 range.

How hard/easy was the install?

I'll post pics that I photoshopped of my CX-5 to see which colour I would like, or if I would like the look at all.

Yeah if you order off of AliExpress, it's quite cheap, but the material isn't great and it can be difficult to apply correctly. One thing I noticed is that the Alloy Gators and the Rimblades are more expensive because they mount in different ways. The Rimblades in particular have a "lip" that makes it a lot easier to line the material up with the edge of the wheel, while the cheap stuff doesn't.

Judging from your username, you're in Canada? Where exactly? I can ship you the rest of the red rim protector that I didn't end up using, it might be enough for all four of your wheels. If you're willing to cover shipping, if would probably be cheaper (and faster) than ordering from AliExpress. Let me know.

Back