Right rear shock blown at 65K miles

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I noticed a sort of "booming" sound from the rear when going over bumps on our 2014 CX5, and when rotating the tires today the right rear shock looked oily. I was thinking of just replacing the rear shocks. Or should I replace the whole set of shocks and struts? KYB GR-2/Excel-G shocks are $90/pair on RockAuto, front struts $120/pair, so about $210 for the set. Any other choices out there? Not planning on doing any aftermarket suspension work.

Attachments

• IMG_8448.JPG
    IMG_8448.JPG
    792.4 KB · Views: 7,568
Last edited:
If replacing with OEM or OEM equivelant (i.e. riding stock) you will be perfectly fine replacing only the rears if the fronts are still ok. I would recommend replacing both rears though so they match up.

Yeah I definitely would replace the pair. Don't need to spend $600 on Koni shocks/struts. I have Koni Sports on my GSR and they're great - lowered for 1/4 million miles! But I don't know if we would keep this car this long. :)

Are the rear shocks really as simple as it looks to replace? 2 nuts up top and one bolt at the bottom? Looks like it would take 10-15 minutes per corner.

I have OEM shocks off my 2014 with 20,250 miles on them. I switch them out for Konis. It's yours if you want. Just gotta pay for shipping.

Just replace the rears with some quality aftermarket ones. I'd inspect the mounts too before I ordered anything. Or if you want to be certain you won't be replacing mounts before you do the rear shocks again, just bite the bullet and buy those too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Just replace the rears with some quality aftermarket ones. I'd inspect the mounts too before I ordered anything. Or if you want to be certain you won't be replacing mounts before you do the rear shocks again, just bite the bullet and buy those too.

Odd that RockAuto doesn't carry the KYB rear shock mounts. Should I go for the KYB mount or the Duralast mount from AutoZone? Duralast ones cost more, but it says both have lifetime warranties.

I usually get moog from advance auto solely because you can always Google coupons for that place and they usually come out a lot cheaper. Them or Amazon.

I usually get moog from advance auto solely because you can always Google coupons for that place and they usually come out a lot cheaper. Them or Amazon.

Yeah I like Moog stuff also, but according to the Moog website they only have tie rod ends, rear sway bar end links, and hub assemblies for CX-5's. No strut/shock mounts.

Also Advance Auto doesn't have anything for the CX-5 except the KYB shocks themselves, and they cost nearly double the price of the same thing on RockAuto.

Last edited:
have you seen this TSB?

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/749/shock-absorber-replacement-guidelines-1999-2016-mazda

Some customers may complain of signs of oil on the struts or shock absorbers.

In most cases the oil that is present is normal, and a result of the oil that remains on the shaft during the normal sweeping process of the shaft seal.

Follow the inspection guidelines to determine if the condition is a result of the normal sweeping process or a failure of the shaft seal.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Inspect the shock absorber by using the following guidelines to determine if shock absorber replacement is necessary or not.
If it is oil seepage, the shock absorber does NOT need to be replaced.
If it is oil leakage, the shock absorber needs to be replaced.
NOTE: Warranty claims submitted for oil seepage shock absorbers will be denied or subject to debit.

CAUSE OF OIL SEEPAGE

Oil seepage is caused by the following factors and is not a problem:

A small amount of oil seeps outside through the dust lip during normal operation.
The oil film thickness is uneven due to production variation of rod and seal.
When the rod (A) receives input from the road and extends upward, most of the oil (B) on the rod is scraped off by the main lip (C) and some remains inside the dust lip (D). When the rod extends further, then most of the remaining oil (E) on the rod is scraped off by the dust lip, and a small amount of oil seeps out (F).

Check out my pic above, it has oily residue all down the entire shock body, and on the dust cover itself. It definitely needs replacement. When I press down on the rear edge of the cargo area towards that side, it bounces with more than one oscillation (down-up-down). When I press down on the other side, which has a totally dry shock, it goes down-up and stops immediately.

RockAuto definitely seems to be the place to get KYB shocks. The rears are only $45 each, and $70 each for the front.

Seems the KYB shocks for cars made after 5/2013 are on back order, both at RockAuto and Tire Rack. Weird. Luckily ours was built in January 2013 so I can get the ones for mine.

Received the new rear shocks on Tuesday of this week and just installed them this morning. 1.5 hours and $100 later it rides almost like new again! No more gross uncontrolled suspension noises from the rear. Now I'll be wanting to replace the front ones soon, once I have the money for front struts and an alignment. Might go for the Firestone lifetime this time.

I would either use this to my advantage and get good coilovers or just replace both the rears.

I strongly recommend bilstein. it is great aftermarket stuff.

I just put on a pair of KYB GR-2 rear shocks. OE replacement is all I needed, anything else would have been a waste of money.

Received the new rear shocks on Tuesday of this week and just installed them this morning. 1.5 hours and $100 later it rides almost like new again! No more gross uncontrolled suspension noises from the rear. Now I'll be wanting to replace the front ones soon, once I have the money for front struts and an alignment. Might go for the Firestone lifetime this time.
Front pair would take a lot more work than rear and a little more dangerous compressing the spring. And alignment is another extra cost in addition to more expensive parts. My 178,890-mile 1998 Honda CR-V still on original shocks and the front pair do need to get replaced. I have the OEM shocks ready but just too lazy to work on them.

Are you going to replace the front pair with KYB too?

Can never understand the need of coilovers. What's the benefit of them unless you have weak OE springs?

Looks like there are some combo options now out for CX-5 as well. This takes the whole spring compression issue out of the mix and as simple as changing a shock... still need an alignment though.

https://www.1aauto.com/2013-14-mazda-cx-5-strut-and-spring-assembly-pair/i/1assp01442

More than likely works with up to '16.5 but one would need to check further.

Front pair would take a lot more work than rear and a little more dangerous compressing the spring. And alignment is another extra cost in addition to more expensive parts. My 178,890-mile 1998 Honda CR-V still on original shocks and the front pair do need to get replaced. I have the OEM shocks ready but just too lazy to work on them.

Are you going to replace the front pair with KYB too?

Can never understand the need of coilovers. What's the benefit of them unless you have weak OE springs?

Back