Rev Limit

I had my CX-9 shift on its own in manual mode for the first time this past weekend. I was surprised because usually it will go all the way to the rev limiter if i ask it too. I think it was because i pressed the pedal passed the kickdown switch. My theory is that the kickdown switch changes the programming of the manual mode, but i need more time alone with the car to confirm.

I had my CX-9 shift on its own in manual mode for the first time this past weekend. I was surprised because usually it will go all the way to the rev limiter if i ask it too. I think it was because i pressed the pedal passed the kickdown switch. My theory is that the kickdown switch changes the programming of the manual mode, but i need more time alone with the car to confirm.

That's correct. If the kick down switch is activated, the transmission will still upshift automatically even in manual mode as a safety feature (my theory is that when the kick down switch is activated, the vehicle assumes the driver is requesting maximum acceleration and it shifts at the RPM that will result in the best acceleration). Otherwise, if the engine was allowed to rev past peak power and hit the rev limiter, the vehicle would stop accelerating. Imagine this scenario: A driver has selected manual mode and has been using the shift lever and/or paddle shifters to choose a gear. They're cruising along at 55 MPH when they notice a vehicle rapidly approaching from behind. There's nowhere to go but straight ahead and they instantly floor the accelerator to speed up and reduce the force of impending impact. In a panic, they forget that they were in manual mode with 6th gear chosen. Flooring the accelerator in 6th gear at 55 MPH will result in very little acceleration. The transmission really needs to be in 3rd in this scenario. By programming the kick down switch as a "panic button", it will override the manually selected gear and downshift and upshift for the best acceleration without the driver having to think about which gear they should be in or how to choose that gear - all they have to remember is "floor it and get out of the way". :)

Back