Repositioning Front License Plate

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
On the subject of getting pulled over, there is recent NYT article about how cops use the presence of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror (which apparently is illegal in most states) to pull over cars that look “suspicious”, giving them an excuse to do profiling. Once you’re pulled over, you get the interrogation: “Do you have a weapon in the car?”, “When did you last have a drink?”, “Do you smoke marijuana?”, “What is the purpose of your trip?”. All this is probably illegal, but making an issue means you’re probably going to have your car or person searched. And if you’re a person of color or unusual race?

I vote not to give them any excuse whatsoever.

- Mark

On the subject of getting pulled over, there is recent NYT article about how cops use the presence of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror (which apparently is illegal in most states) to pull over cars that look “suspicious”, giving them an excuse to do profiling. Once you’re pulled over, you get the interrogation: “Do you have a weapon in the car?”, “When did you last have a drink?”, “Do you smoke marijuana?”, “What is the purpose of your trip?”. All this is probably illegal, but making an issue means you’re probably going to have your car or person searched. And if you’re a person of color or unusual race?

I vote not to give them any excuse whatsoever.

- Mark
Yep, whenever you decide to drive with your car not 100% legal you're leaving yourself (more) open to harassment. Unless you're a cop yourself, it's not worth the risk.

Antoine

Administrator
Let's keep threads On Topic please, this one is specifically about "Repositioning Front License Plate", thanks.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I put mine right in the middle. Drilling the two tiny holes was no big deal. My concerns are aerodynamics and engine cooling. Whether it's centered or not doesn't matter.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I put mine right in the middle. Drilling the two tiny holes was no big deal. My concerns are aerodynamics and engine cooling. Whether it's centered or not doesn't matter.
Agreed. But I still prefer the look of the front end without license plate.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Since it's a legal requirement in most states you'd think car manufacturers would build the plate holder into the bumper.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Since it's a legal requirement in most states you'd think car manufacturers would build the plate holder into the bumper.
My 2000 BMW designed an interchangeable center piece on front bumper which can either hold a license plate or without. I keep the front plate on there since it looks nice and it won’t block the air entry for cooling.

I thought Mazda has designed a factory front plate holder for gen-2 CX-5?

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
Compared to this, our CX-5 front plates look pretty good

1618769292440.jpeg

- Mark

Here it is! The problem is the parking sensor blinders aren’t 100% effective as my sensor is still triggered every once in a while.

Fortunately, CravenSpeed has an “outside driver” mount (DLT-AA900) that doesn’t require any blinders. They’re sending me that and a prepaid return envelope this week. :)

Attachments

• 0B3D3D92-3E62-4601-85A3-906960A47795.jpeg
    0B3D3D92-3E62-4601-85A3-906960A47795.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 28
:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
I was doing some reading, and certain front plate states will give you a waiver if you apply for it. Check yours.