Report: Diesel CX-5 Discontinued

"...a tentative fleet ordering schedule from May indicates 2020 CX-5 production is set to end this month, with 2021 CX-5s estimated to be built in August. Although Mazda declined to confirm the accuracy of the info, this presents the possibility that shoppers may not be able to buy a diesel CX-5 for the 2020 model year." - Did Mazda Quietly Kill The CX-5 Diesel?

Time's up! If there's no 2020, there probably won't be a 2021, either.

The main reasons other manufacturers are sticking with ancient touchscreen technology is because they are unimaginative, and they are cheap

Tesla just entered the chat.

I mean, there's always going to be purists and "old folk" who prefer the older way, but for this 40+ year old guy, Tesla's screen is pretty intuitive and almost everyone I know who has one says they think its a huge improvement over what they owned previously.

And, in the US you can get a "Cheap" Tesla for around 40k.

Down under it makes sense where d is $1.40 litre and p is $2.00 litre.
At 6.5 litres / 100 km (36 mpg) average we‘ve saved $4000 in the passed 2.5 years. The turbo diesel it producing near maximum torque from idLe. It transforms the cx5 to a relaxed but torquey drive. Great on longer distance trips. Tank fills are infrequent as well with 540 miles to empty.

In all a very good motor option.

Down under it makes sense where d is $1.40 litre and p is $2.00 litre.
At 6.5 litres / 100 km (36 mpg) average we‘ve saved $4000 in the passed 2.5 years. The turbo diesel it producing near maximum torque from idLe. It transforms the cx5 to a relaxed but torquey drive. Great on longer distance trips. Tank fills are infrequent as well with 540 miles to empty.

In all a very good motor option.
Yeah, I badly wanted that. Settled for an 18 2.5NA. Wish I could have had the same car but with a 2.2T with performance and mileage like yours.

Diesel is popular in Europe so it is understandable the Mazda produces a CX 5 with that motor for that market. They clearly missed the mark when they tried to sell it in the US though. I remember years ago a dealer in St. Louis was trying to unload five Isuzu Troopers with turbo diesels and nobody wanted to buy them. That was a mistake in my opinion as they were probably great SUVs and had I had the money at the time I would have bought one in a New York minute. If Mazda had turboed their diesel for the US market it would have made more sense.

Diesel is popular in Europe so it is understandable the Mazda produces a CX 5 with that motor for that market. They clearly missed the mark when they tried to sell it in the US though. I remember years ago a dealer in St. Louis was trying to unload five Isuzu Troopers with turbo diesels and nobody wanted to buy them. That was a mistake in my opinion as they were probably great SUVs and had I had the money at the time I would have bought one in a New York minute. If Mazda had turboed their diesel for the US market it would have made more sense.
Mazda's US diesel is a twin turbo.

At one point, my local deal was offering $12K off a '19 diesel CX5. That was cheaper than any gas model at that time.

That wasn't the problem. Problem was Mazda marketing it as the top trim "luxury" model. It was the highest priced, highest trim model of the CX-5 in the US. That completely misses the diesel demographic in my opinion.

That wasn't the problem. Problem was Mazda marketing it as the top trim "luxury" model. It was the highest priced, highest trim model of the CX-5 in the US. That completely misses the diesel demographic in my opinion.

I would say that the typical diesel buyer is the thrifty type, but then there are $100,000 Lexus hybrid sedans that sell. :)

Sometimes, automakers make seemingly odd decisions. Honda, for example, offers ventilated seats on the Ridgeline in Canada which actually has Winter, but not in the US where those of us in the South only see snow on TV. On the other hand, Honda disables the TPMS in software on Civics sold in Canada.

Back