Report: Diesel CX-5 Discontinued

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
Not official, but all signs are definitely pointing to it. As the article correctly states, we are just about in July and there has still been no need for any 2020 Diesel CX-5 production. This was a lesson for Mazda. Gasoline is king in the U.S.

40k+ USD cx5... nty most people aren't spending that kinda money in this segment, especially with the performance #s. In fact on the fb community pages (cx5 and mz3) most new members are buying used. Also, that engine is gimped AF(like the 2.5t is gimped in the cx5/cx9) in the us market.

With less HP than the 2.5L, less torque than the 2.5T, and the higher cost of diesel over gasoline, you're paying $4,110 to shoot yourself in the foot.

On the other hand, CarGurus currently shows 39 CX-5 diesels on dealer lots across the nation with as much as $11,000 off MSRP. Even that's not really the deal it might seem unless you make your own diesel using free waste oil from restaurants. :)

Agreed. Mazda made a colossal blunder in how they packaged and priced the diesel for the USA. Totally missed. I'm glad I was able to pick one up at a great price and enjoy driving it every day! :)

40k+ USD cx5... nty most people aren't spending that kinda money in this segment, especially with the performance #s. In fact on the fb community pages (cx5 and mz3) most new members are buying used. Also, that engine is gimped AF(like the 2.5t is gimped in the cx5/cx9) in the us market.

Does the 2.5T motor make more power elsewhere?

That statement is made on a RUMOR and should not be labeled as fact. TOO much of this on this site in recent months. Ed

BTW, title says "Report" in first word. Not labeled as fact in title or post.

Last edited:
That statement is made on a RUMOR and should not be labeled as fact. TOO much of this on this site in recent months. Ed

While I agree that the tread title is misleading, there's really no need to further prove that the goldfish is dead when you can see it floating upside down at the top of the bowl. ;)

Last edited:
Underwhelming and drastically overpriced. it won't be surprising if they do pull the plug. Swing and a miss.

mazda once again giving consumers things that they're not asking for like diesel engines and cylinder deactivation, and ignoring things they do want like touchscreens.

mazda once again giving consumers things that they're not asking for like diesel engines and cylinder deactivation, and ignoring things they do want like touchscreens.
there was a huge thread here about people saying they wanted a diesel CX5, but then it expedidly flopped when Mazda actual made one for the US. And a touchscreen? sure, if you want pretty much the most unintuitive, and least safe way to interact with an infotainment system. Mazda, BMW, Audi are going about it the smart way. The main reasons other manufacturers are sticking with ancient touchscreen technology is because they are unimaginative, and they are cheap

And a touchscreen? sure, if you want pretty much the most unintuitive, and least safe way to interact with an infotainment system. Mazda, BMW, Audi are going about it the smart way. The main reasons other manufacturers are sticking with ancient touchscreen technology is because they are unimaginative, and they are cheap

...and because touch screens are less expensive than physical knobs and buttons. ;)

I've used touch screens, rotary knobs, joysticks, touch pads with cursors, and touch pads with 1:1 mapping.

Touch screens work great when you're stopped, but can be distracting and difficult to touch exactly what you intend to touch when the vehicle is moving. Ever tried using an iPad while you're on a treadmill?

Rotary knobs work great for most features provided the software interface is well-designed, but they're not ideal for certain tasks like Apple CarPlay.

Joysticks and touch pads with cursors are just awful. Do you hear me, Lexus?

Having owned and driven vehicles with all these variations, I prefer touch pads with 1:1 mapping such as the one in the current Acura RDX. After a brief learning curve, it didn't take me long to realize that should be the standard interface for all infotainment systems going forward.

It's not that people don't like diesel. It's the premium tacked on just didn't make sense.
So true. You can always say to people that you'll make that money back over time, but people shopping are concerned about what they can save NOW rather than later.

IMO: VW Dieselgate didn't help things
Yeah, it made Diesel look pretty bad on any other car. Not to mention that dealers never took stock on diesel cars.

When I originally was shopping for the Chevy Cruze, I wanted a diesel hatch. The nearest I could find was off in North Carolina. I live in Florida. The nearest diesel sedan was in Jacksonville. I live near Orlando. That gives you an idea of what is needed to be pushed for sale. People just go with what is more comfortable.

there was a huge thread here about people saying they wanted a diesel CX5, but then it expedidly flopped when Mazda actual made one for the US. And a touchscreen? sure, if you want pretty much the most unintuitive, and least safe way to interact with an infotainment system. Mazda, BMW, Audi are going about it the smart way. The main reasons other manufacturers are sticking with ancient touchscreen technology is because they are unimaginative, and they are cheap

What are you talking about? BMW and Audi both use touchscreens. Tesla also. Whenever I watch Youtube auto reviews, these reviewers always complain about companies that force you to use a dumb wheel/touchpad/mouse like Mazda, Acura, Lexus and a few others. A perfect example of how annoying they are is if you're listening to a the last song in a playlist on CarPlay and want to back out of the playlist, you have to keep turning the wheel until you get to the 'Back' button on the top left of the screen. Of course if you had a touchscreen you could just touch the 'Back' button. This is intuitive? How about just giving the customers something simple that they're already familiar with(like their smartphone) instead of forcing them to use a dumb wheel? Everyone has a smartphone, which is why most people prefer touchscreens.

Please stay on topic everyone. This thread is about the NA diesel CX-5 possibly being discontinued. If you want to continue this discussion about touchscreens, create a separate thread in the Lounge. Thanks.

Back