2013~2016 Replacing CX-5 infotainment screen with aftermarket one?

Replacing the infotainment system screen to a aftermarket one?
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT

Hi all,
I am having quite an issue with my infotainment screen and it has been determined that it is a hardware issue, I am past the manufacturers warranty now so the dealer quoted me around $2000 to replace it ($1700 something for the part then $114 + tax for install). I even called Mazda Canada hoping that they would help some and was also told the same thing - I'm on my own because the warranty has expired.

So due to that price I am considering a aftermarket unit.

I am posting wondering if anyone has done this, and what was your experience with it? what ones do you recommend? what exactly do I look for in a aftermarket one?
I would like to retain current features like the car settings, phone, radio, maps etc
I found a site called crutchfield.ca but there are so many there I'm not really sure what to look for.

After the holiday weekend I also plan on calling local junk yards to see if there are any there, would one fit from any first gen CX-5, 2013-16?

I had posted about it once before here.. https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/ma...tainment-screen-goes-black-reboots-too-46588/
It's no longer just distorted, I currently have no use of my screen, except sometimes it will work clearly (back-up camera) when in reverse.
I have the maps SD card out and the issue is still present.
The software is on a almost constant reboot cycle, restarting every 45-60 seconds. The dealer said that the OS is up to date.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_190702.jpg
    IMG_20210312_190702.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20210314_082654.jpg
    IMG_20210314_082654.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20210315_232056.jpg
    IMG_20210315_232056.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 262
  • original_26ee7163-d070-4655-828b-bea77d068bff_IMG_20210311_155502.jpg
    original_26ee7163-d070-4655-828b-bea77d068bff_IMG_20210311_155502.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
sometimes it will work clearly (back-up camera) when in reverse.
This makes me wonder if the problem could just be a bad cable connection between the display and the component that controls it. I don't know what's involved but it might be worth doing whatever disassembly is necessary to get to the connections and then disconnect them and clean with a good contact cleaner. I would attempt this before getting a used replacement for the screen.

Upvote 0
This makes me wonder if the problem could just be a bad cable connection between the display and the component that controls it. I don't know what's involved but it might be worth doing whatever disassembly is necessary to get to the connections and then disconnect them and clean with a good contact cleaner. I would attempt this before getting a used replacement for the screen.
Hi, That is a good point. Thank you. I might actually try this first.

Upvote 0
I have a Kenwood DDX8905S in mine. When used to the iDataLink Maestro RR, it retains all of the steering wheel controls, plus you can customize the buttons to have a second function that you choose when you press and hold. And the coolest thing, you can actually get real gauges like coolant temp instead of just an idiot light!

The deck has everything you could want: CarPlay, Android Auto, HD Radio, DVD, backup camera input, nearly unlimited songs via USB that reads FLAC and even DSD. It's a really terrific deck.

IMG_20201209_162404218_HDR.jpgIMG_20201209_162412231_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a Kenwood DDX8905S in mine. When used to the iDataLink Maestro RR, it retains all of the steering wheel controls, plus you can customize the buttons to have a second function that you choose when you press and hold. And the coolest thing, you can actually get real gauges like coolant temp instead of just an idiot light!

The deck has everything you could want: CarPlay, Android Auto, HD Radio, DVD, backup camera input, nearly unlimited songs via USB that reads FLAC and even DSD. It's a really terrific deck.

View attachment 297250View attachment 297251
Thanks for your reply, Theblooms. Muchly appreciated. That does look like a really good one. What year is your CX-5? Did your screen stop working, or did you just replace it for a better one?

Upvote 0
Mine is a first gen 2013. My original radio had marks on the screen from where the same buttons had been pushed over and over, and besides, it wasn't all that great to begin with. I knew I wanted to do a full sound quality install, and when I saw my deck on sale, along with all the extra features, I just pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier!

Upvote 0
Two days ago my screen started to work again, and it stayed working every time I turned my vehicle on again, then yesterday afternoon I decided to put my new maps SD card in (I had previously bought a new one off Amazon, heard of them going corrupt etc), and then turned it on and right away my screen was back to being distorted and mostly black again, ugh.
Could it be a faulty or dirty card reader causing my infotainment screen / software to mess up?

Upvote 0
@theblooms I have a few questions, since I have a 2013/2014 model, and no one clear answers to these:
- does the control wheel next to the shift work (navigation, selection)
- do the buttons on that control wheel section work?
- can you access your door, lock, lights?
- are front/back parking sensors working/showing on the screen/alerting?
thanks in advance

Upvote 0
@theblooms I have a few questions, since I have a 2013/2014 model, and no one clear answers to these:
thanks in advance
My CX-5 is the base model, so I don't have any of those factory features, so unfortunately I really can't comment on them. You may want to reach out to iDataLink to see if those are retained it not.

That said, the steering wheel controls work perfectly, I installed a factory looking backup camera (it's not the Mazda one, but it mounts the same and was only $25!), and with the OBD-II interface, I get full gauges, which was important to me. As far as navigation, I use Waze via Android Auto. That's been absolutely terrific.

Upvote 0
Btw @theblooms do you happen to know if there is anywhere a good replacement for the center console tray? The current one keeps sliding around, but can’t seem to find any aftermarket options?

Upvote 0
Hi all.

The issue got worst and I only had a black screen, having the radio only (but couldn't change stations or anything, only volume), but I recently had to change the battery and that reset it to God only knows what station because I only had static after that
So I finally purchased a aftermarket one, an Android one from AliExpress (129.37C$ 32% OFF|IPS 1280*720 4G LTE Android 10 6+128G for Mazda CX5 2012 2017 Multimedia Stereo Car DVD Player Navigation GPS Radio Carplay AUTO|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress). They sent me a Canbus too so it was supposed to allow it to hook up, however the Canbus was not the right connector. I contacted the seller and after checking with their engineer they said that I need another wiring kit but it had to be bought separately for almost $100 (with shipping), seems kinda high for wiring so I wanted to check with you guys and see your opinions and maybe someone would recognize that wiring kit that I might be able to get more local (quicker and maybe cheaper).

The 1st picture (if it uploads in the same order, showing red connector) is the Canbus (can visually see that it doesn't fit)
The 2nd picture is what the back of my unit looks like.
The 3rd picture is what they said that I need.

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_154856.jpg
    IMG_20211103_154856.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20211103_154856.jpg
    IMG_20211103_154856.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20211103_154845.jpg
    IMG_20211103_154845.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20211109_125121.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109_125121.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
Those "pure Android" units are GARBAGE. Oh, the idea behind them is amazing. But in practice, trash. Ever tried to use a $30 Wish tablet? Because unfortunately that's pretty much exactly what they are.

Upvote 0
Yea, I gotta' agree with Blooms. For something as important as your in dash audio system... you should get a quality name brand.

Upvote 0
Hi all.

The issue got worst and I only had a black screen, having the radio only (but couldn't change stations or anything, only volume), but I recently had to change the battery and that reset it to God only knows what station because I only had static after that
So I finally purchased a aftermarket one, an Android one from AliExpress (129.37C$ 32% OFF|IPS 1280*720 4G LTE Android 10 6+128G for Mazda CX5 2012 2017 Multimedia Stereo Car DVD Player Navigation GPS Radio Carplay AUTO|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress). They sent me a Canbus too so it was supposed to allow it to hook up, however the Canbus was not the right connector. I contacted the seller and after checking with their engineer they said that I need another wiring kit but it had to be bought separately for almost $100 (with shipping), seems kinda high for wiring so I wanted to check with you guys and see your opinions and maybe someone would recognize that wiring kit that I might be able to get more local (quicker and maybe cheaper).

The 1st picture (if it uploads in the same order, showing red connector) is the Canbus (can visually see that it doesn't fit)
The 2nd picture is what the back of my unit looks like.
The 3rd picture is what they said that I need.
Hi jswinimer:
I may be able to help you. I own a 2013 (first gen) base model Mazda CX5 (Canadian Version). My infotainment unit works fine but has the common issue with Bluetooth. I recently purchased a similar unit (first picture) from Aliexpress 210.02C$ 50% OFF|Carplay 8G+128G Android 11 Car Radio For Mazda CX 5 CX5 2012 2013 2014 2015 4G LTE GPS Multimedia video Player 2Din 360 Camera|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress. I took a picture of my original unit and the seller suggested that I also purchase a canbus (the red transparant box). Based on the photos you shared, I only see the cables but not the actual box (it's literally a plastic box, see my photo). The red plastic connector is where you plug in the main connector from your car's existing wiring (the one that plugs in the biggest plug on your original unit). One of the white plugs goes into the canbus box (see my photo). Apparently, with the older CX5 you'll need the Canbus box in order to communicate with the new unit. I was skeptical at first but I'm glad I did spend the extra as they suggested. The seller helped me with the installation as well. I'm very unfamiliar with car stuff so I read a lot of posts on this forum and checked out a bunch of youtube videos. Finally after two days of messing around I was able to install the unit and add a reverse camera to my old CX5. Now I have a 10 inch console with wireless carplay and android auto. It's really nice.
Hope this information helps. Good luck with your installation.

Attachments

• wx_camera_1639343030266.jpg
    wx_camera_1639343030266.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20211213_142229.jpg
    IMG_20211213_142229.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Videoframe_20211212_212423_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Videoframe_20211212_212423_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20211110_183157.jpg
    IMG_20211110_183157.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
thanks in advance
oh well, I guess someone somewhere knows the answer to these
thanks regardless 😉
Hey, I've been having the same issue since I bought this vehicle. I would like to replace the factory Head unit, but would like to make sure that the factory backup camera as well as the command center control knob ( basically the control wheel next to the shifter) works and all factory settings and streering wheel controls are retained but to no avail I've yet to find a headunit that can do that. My vehicle is a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 touring by the way. Im still scouting, hopefully we can find a solution this madness lol.

Upvote 0
The factory backup camera is easy. You just need to use the Metra harness. As far as the other settings, contact iDataLink, see if the Maestro RR or RR2 retains those settings.

Upvote 0
Back