Rental CX-5s showing up on Autotrader

Used cars are used.....buy it brand new and drive it home, its now a used car to everyone else.
I'm passed the "gotta be new" phase, I'm comfortable purchasing a used car with remaining warranty and saving 5-7k. To me, the trade off of savings vs out of the wrapper is worth it.

Last new car I bought was a 2013 Miata PRHT. First vacation drive to Maine (about 300 miles on it at the time) resulted in an unfortunate highway rock flying up and putting a fist sized dent in the hood and chipped windshield. All my meticulous care for nothing. Dent remedied by PDR but the scratch was there and required some touch up paint.

Sometimes stuff just happens when a car is driven, no matter how much of a car guy someone is.

Used cars are used.....buy it brand new and drive it home, its now a used car to everyone else.
I'm passed the "gotta be new" phase, I'm comfortable purchasing a used car with remaining warranty and saving 5-7k. To me, the trade off of savings vs out of the wrapper is worth it.

Last new car I bought was a 2013 Miata PRHT. First vacation drive to Maine (about 300 miles on it at the time) resulted in an unfortunate highway rock flying up and putting a fist sized dent in the hood and chipped windshield. All my meticulous care for nothing. Dent remedied by PDR but the scratch was there and required some touch up paint.

Sometimes stuff just happens when a car is driven, no matter how much of a car guy someone is.
I agree. The privelege of breaking in the car isn't worth the $5-10K hit. I wish I were patient enough to wait for a 2nd gen to become used. Held out for the diesel for a while, but finally bought a new 2018 while trying to get a good close-out deal on the 17s in February of 18.

Now these used 17s and 18s with 20-40K miles on them are exactly what I would have preferred to buy had such a thing been available when I bought new.

WA state's sales tax is a huge disincentive to switch cars, so I may be driving this 18 until there's a plug in hybrid or something better down the road.

In many auctions there are tons of rentals that are bought by dealers. What do you think happens to millions of cars Hertz and National buy? They don't push it in the Atlantic or Pacific. Probably most of CPO cars or good dealer cars you see could be rentals. There are not enough people buying Toyota's Honda's Mazda's thinking I am going to sell after 2 years. These are called economy cars for a reason. People who buy them hold on for longer - rental companies though already have purchase agreement.
So unless you have a lot of time (time is money) - to reject rentals and compete with other buyers for non rental cars which could cost more money, most people will get rentals - either directly through hertz or through freetown Toyota whatever.
TBH if you got a CX5 rental and saved 1-2 grand - first thing I would do is full brake service - new rotors pads fluid etc. The drivetrain is going to be good and interior is in front of your eyes.

Back