Removing the "M" badge on the steering wheel

:
San Antonio
:
2014 CX-5 GT
Howdy! The "chrome" on the steering wheel emblem is peeling, badly! How hard is it to remove and replace? I tried putting my finger nail under it, but that didn't work! I see replacements on ebay, but I don't want to tear anything up taking out the old one. My CX-5 is a '14 Grand Touring if it makes any difference. Thanks!

It's part of the very expensive airbag assembly. It's attached to a portion that breaks open to release the airbag. I don't think there's a simple way to do what you're looking for.

You may be able to take a dremel tool, or something, and meticulously sand it and repaint/refinish.

I felt that there was more to this than I thought! It appears that nothing is easy! I've found a cover for it on ebay and I'll be going that route. Thanks so much for your help in my decision.

I would be cautious of any cover over the airbag. As @murky said the assembly is specifically designed to split (open) in a very precise manner when needed. Applying a cover in this area MAY deform deployment and cause worse injury. I know I know -- blah blah blah safety this that and the other; everyone is so fragile. But realize you may not be the only person ever to operate your vehicle with the airbag modified and that person has an expectation that the safety system(s) operate correctly. Something to think about -- maybe.

Last edited:
I guess "anything is possible", but it is something to consider. The cover appears to be just light plastic that sticks to the crappy M.

I guess "anything is possible", but it is something to consider. The cover appears to be just light plastic that sticks to the crappy M.
Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen in the event of an accident?

The plastic aftermarket "M" cover sticking into your face or eye? No big deal.:)

Seriously, don't even consider it.

Some of the people over on the Miata Forum are considering the same thing.

Although none of our Chromed Airbag "M" badges are pealing, a few want to just eliminate the chrome and make it look different.

A few are doing the cover routine but most are just covering it with a "wrap" material.

The latter may be the safest.

Latest posts

Back