Remote starter for 2018 CX-5 that will not shut off the engine when you open a door?

HotSizzle

:
CX-5 Touring
I just purchased a 2018 CX-5 Touring and currently looking to install a remote starter. After calling a handful of installers and reading this forum, there is no definitive answer as to what brand of remote starter that one can install in a 2018 CX-5 that will not shut off the engine when they open the door. Does such a remote starter exist? If so, what is the brand/model of the remote starter?

Thanks,
Hs

Ive got a 2016 with an aftermarket remote start (not Mazda start). Mine does the same thing. When I got it, I was told it was a Mazda safeguard and there was no way around it. Sorry.

I have this unit with the drone mobile app. I can start the cx5 from anywhere there*s cell reception, I can start it and as I approach the cx5 and press the unlock on the key fob, it will stay started when I open the door. If the door is opened with just touching the black dot on the door it will turn off. If you press the door lock x3 the engine will start. Use the drone mobile app and I can tell you the inside temperature, if a door is open and more...

https://www.compustar.com/systems/mazda-remote-start-system/

Drone mobile
https://www.dronemobile.com

I have an iDataStart HC2352AC remote starter installed. The engine does not shut off when I open the door. In addition I can start the engine using the OEM key by pressing lock->unlock->lock sequence. For an extra $50 I had the rear defrost hooked up so when I start the engine it comes on automatically. Pretty useful in the Great White North winters :)

Ugh man I just went they all of this. Literally just finished installing 2 remote starts on 2017 CX5-5. My GT and my sisters touring. Originally I went with the the Evo All and t harness for Mazda about 180.00 but come to find out it was giving me issues with dash lights, and it turned off when the door opened. I returned them as the seller from eBay gave me no help for trouble shooting. I flashed it, changed settings etc. programming. Was a nightmare. I consider myself knowledgeable in this area.

Anyway, I ended up getting the Evo All with maz3 harness. Its about the same price 200 all together. But this was a breeze to install, and only required 1 wire splice connection if you want to use the built in alarm. Programming took 5 mins. But do you need the flasher unit. About 40 dollars to create the key for the evo one: after installing both units and I will say their is so much information and steps that evo does not put in their diagrams and directions, its frustrating. Not to mention, I wasnt impressed with their customer service, lots of waiting on hold, talk a while for respond emails. But finally I got it all solved.

You need these things:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Basically you install the t harness, thats simple, follow the directions provided by evo. Program the evo one to the car.(simple) next plug the evo one into the computer (after you download the software from the website) and flash the unit to the specific vehicle and select the t harness. (That step is not in the directions, much frustration trying to figure that out as nobody tells you that anywhere) then plug it back into he car. And bam done! Simple.

Good luck!

My buddy has that Drone Mobile setup. You forgot to mention it's like $60 /year.

No, thats for the app, 60 a year. It is programmed to the factory keyfob. I had smart start with viper on another car, I have Mazda mobile start on this car. I had them all basically and the apps in my opinion are a waste. They are all unreliable. Evo All is has RF plug and play kits for 80 on amazon for 3000 ft plus range with 2 way. Personally I dont need that range with my work and condo.

^^^ I wonder who can read that? ;)

OEM remote start and MMS are useless. Go through the following thread and a couple of aftermarket remote start systems had been mentioned including iDatalink HC2352AC which enables the OEM fob to start the car with lock 3 times. It won't shut off the engine when you open a door. The module also has secure takeover, so if you have the OEM fob with you when you press on the brake it doesn't shut off the car. Those systems are compatible with both gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5's.

2017 CX-5 Auto start

Hi all, reviving this thread (instead of starting a new one). I read through the threads here but there seems to be no definitive preferred system. My wife would like a remote start for her 2018 CX-5 Touring which can do the following: uses factory key fob, does not turn off engine when door is opened or break pedal is pushed, has no subscription fee App. The closest to this would be the iDatalink HC2352AC I believe but it seems like it ends at 2017 models. Is it also compatible with 2018 models? I would appreciate any hints, recommendations etc. - thanks and stay warm!

80% sure if it works in 17 it should on 18 too. Don't think anything changesy there that would effect that.

The Fortin remote start unit does a secure handoff to the key fob so the engine doesn't shut off when opening the door.

seems like there are (2) options.
1) iDatalink HC2352AC or Compustar (same company)
2) Fortin remote starter

They all let you start the car with your OEM key fob AND has secure takeover so the engine does not turn off when you open the door.
Can one of the moderators make a Sticky with all the remote start options??

Hi all, reviving this thread (instead of starting a new one). I read through the threads here but there seems to be no definitive preferred system. My wife would like a remote start for her 2018 CX-5 Touring which can do the following: uses factory key fob, does not turn off engine when door is opened or break pedal is pushed, has no subscription fee App. The closest to this would be the iDatalink HC2352AC I believe but it seems like it ends at 2017 models. Is it also compatible with 2018 models? I would appreciate any hints, recommendations etc. - thanks and stay warm!

Last edited:
seems like there are (2) options.
1) iDatalink HC2352AC or Compustar (same company)
2) Fortin remote starter

They all let you start the car with your OEM key fob AND has secure takeover so the engine does not turn off when you open the door.
Can one of the moderators make a Sticky with all the remote start options??

I'm between https://www.12volt.solutions/products/2013-2018-mazda-cx-5-plug-play-remote-start-kit-smart-key
and the iDatalink HC2352AC or Compustar (same company). No t sure what to do. First one seems like a hassle-free installation. However, that 2 step programming process is somewhat akward, i.e. that you have to send it back in or pay from them to do it remotely. That brings it to 350 - 400, respectively. The iDatalink solution seems more reasonably priced at around 200 but not sure if it works with a 2018 model and if a diy install is manageable

it should work with the 2018 model, they haven't really updated anything on the ignition.
when i pick up my new 2019 model, i'll be going with compustar. But i think i'll have the installer do the installing.
if you happen to install it yourself, please post your comments and process..thanks!

I'm between https://www.12volt.solutions/products/2013-2018-mazda-cx-5-plug-play-remote-start-kit-smart-key
and the iDatalink HC2352AC or Compustar (same company). No t sure what to do. First one seems like a hassle-free installation. However, that 2 step programming process is somewhat akward, i.e. that you have to send it back in or pay from them to do it remotely. That brings it to 350 - 400, respectively. The iDatalink solution seems more reasonably priced at around 200 but not sure if it works with a 2018 model and if a diy install is manageable

don't know what the 2 stage programming is all about, but they can also "remote" into your computer to do the updates...hmmMMM...not sure about that.

Back