Remote Start App CX-5?

I just bought the 2020 CX-5 GTR and assume it has the remote start capability? I downloaded the MyMazda smartphone app but when I put in my password from my other My Mazda app i get "Username or password incorrect, please try again". Do I use the same password for both apps? I can't find a way to enter another username and password on the remote start app. Username and password work fine on my regular My Mazda app. Confused.

The vehicle is COMPATIBLE with remote start, but it is an OPTIONAL accessory install.

relevant discussion:

"
I work with sales. The app one also requires an installation of an antenna on your windshield and has a subscription fee. It is not just downloading the app. I'm a big fan mazda stuff but the mobile start is not great just look at reviews.

The mobile start is not bad. It does run the system at your last setting. However when you come up and open the door it does turn the car off. So you have to start it again once you get in. Also you have to carry a second key fob with your normal fob at all times to use the remote start.

Just some things to think about.
"

Most people who want remote start go aftermarket solution. Plenty of threads here for that as well.

random Mazda link:

notice the wording of "AVAILABILITY" -- meaning NOT a standard function.

We just got the Compustar 4905S-KIT installed on my wife's 2019 GT-R this past weekend ($349 @ best buy). Kit includes one remote but was programmed for OEM remotes as well, and includes the Drone Mobile LTE module. Phone app requires a service fee (starts at $5/month).

Pretty happy with it so far.

Anyone know if the NEW remote start mazda oem version has come out for the 2020 models that use the new fob design?

They do NOT, looks like a separate fob.

My suggestion is 3rd party / aftermarket solution (Fortin/Compustar/iDatastart) that can be programmed to use your factory fob.

I remember reading a similar thread yesterday about the Mazda Remote Start app but here's the TOS:
https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/terms/index.jsp#terms_of_use15

You should definitely avoid the remote start from Mazda unless you plan on paying for it indefinitely otherwise it's best to go 3rd party (e.g. Compustar) like most people recommended.

WARNING: AFTER THE MAZDA MOBILE START ACCESSORY IS DEACTIVATED, IT CANNOT BE REACTIVATED. TO ACTIVATE SERVICES, A NEW MAZDA MOBILE START ACCESSORY MUST BE PURCHASED BY YOU AND INSTALLED AT YOUR EXPENSE.
9. DEACTIVATING MAZDA MOBILE START EQUIPMENT
The Services rely on the Mazda Mobile Start accessory installed in your vehicle. We may remotely deactivate the accessory if the Mazda Mobile Start account associated with the vehicle remains closed for one month after the end of a subscription term or no account is registered within the thirteen-month period following date of a new vehicle purchase.

You may request that we deactivate the Mazda Mobile Start accessory installed in your vehicle by contacting us at Mazda Customer Experience Center at mazdacustomerexperience@mazdausa.com.

WARNING: AFTER THE MAZDA MOBILE START ACCESSORY IS DEACTIVATED, IT CANNOT BE REACTIVATED. TO ACTIVATE SERVICES, A NEW MAZDA MOBILE START ACCESSORY MUST BE PURCHASED BY YOU AND INSTALLED AT YOUR EXPENSE.

Not talking about mazda mobile start app or mazda stand alone remote start that has a separate key fob. I'm talking about a mazda oem remote start that is specifically designed to work with and integrate into the new 2020 key fob design without having to use a separate fob. I read from another post that mazda was coming out with it shortly and that is what I'm inquiring about if anyone may know about it or when it is coming or is it just a total myth. Someone said that their parts dept said it was coming.

i dont know if either is better but it seems more people seem to put Fortin for plain remote start capability from the oem fob. At least based on topics here and on the reditt forum.
Compustar seems to have Drone mobile which is quite popular to control from your phone. Probably either would work for you.

I think Fortin (+ t-harness + programmer) gets installed more often when DIY. I think Compustar gets installed more when a 3rd party installer does the job. I have no data to back these statements up. What is "better"? As previously mentioned they both do the job well - no big failures or problems with either platform.

Thanks for all the comments. The reason I'm asking which to go with is because the total cost of the compustar kit WITH drone mobile and T-harness is $275 on ebay. The Fortin kit total cost is about $190 including the flash module and harness. I will be doing the install and am more than capable of handling it. Just wondering what the better overall bundle is quality and warranty wise.

I guess if a mobile app access in addition is a priority for you, then compustar but I assume there is some monthly fee for the connectivity.
Not sure if Fortin has the conrtrol over Internet and mobile app but it does work well with the oem fob and you can program it for different options.

What always bugs me though is I am with the impression you send the immobilizer code somewhere over internet (at least seen on dyi videos) for decoding and reprogramming - with fortin.

Last edited:
I installed the Fortin and dronemobile. Under $250 for everything (not inducing dronemobile plan cost) and took me about an hour to install.

Can I ask where you purchased from?

I know you didn't ask me ( :) ) but I got mine from eBay in pieces. The Flashlink was used (you only need to use it one time, so no-brainer) but others were new. Total less than $183 shipped/taxed.

eBay: Fortin Flashlink 4 Digital Bypass Module Firmware Update Tool Bootloader USB $26.43
eBay: Fortin THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness for 2013-2016 Mazda Push to Start Vehicles $63.28
eBay: Fortin Evo-One All-In-One Remote Starter Security System And Data Interface $92.71

(Note, this was all for my 2019 Touring, so ignore the year range on the T-Harness - plus I see even cheaper prices on eBay now, dammit))

Back