Refilling ATF for 2012+ - how many quarts?

aha

Hi All,

Planning drain and refill my 2012 ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) - I will measure when I drain but just wondering for those who have done the procedure, how many quarts usually does it take to fill up? Also, any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

One gallon exactly, which is the size of the jug I buy.
No tricks, just drain and refill like you would do oil, after doing it a few times I don't even measure any more, just drain and fill the entire container back into it.

Last edited:
At what mileage are you guys doing it

My 2012 (we bought new) just turned 49k miles

I have a '14 with auto and the OM doesn't say much re: ATF. I searched forum -- variety of opinions regarding fluid choice, intervals, etc. Also called the dealer. The parts department folks confirmed that M5 ATF (used to be sold as M-V, not to confuse with Mercon V) which is full synthetic should be used and costs about $10/qt after sales tax (ouch). The service department told me that it should be changed every 30K miles. I'm trying to find service records on my vehicle but doubt I'll find anything. So at 31K miles I must be due...

One gallon exactly, which is the size of the jug I buy.

Do you have a part number if that is OEM? Or is that an aftermarket fluid? The only ATF I'm aware of that the dealer sells in the US is by the quart, part 0000-77-112E-01.

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife DEX/MERC for about 50k miles with great results. It is a full-synthetic ATF approved for M5, M-V, MazdaV, FNR5 ATF, whatever you want to call it.

http://www.carquestprofessionals.co...F Application NON-Laminated Guide 6.10.13.pdf

My local Walmart carries a 4 quart jug for about $18.

Thanks - excellent chart. It's still confusing to me. I've read that Mercon V and M-V have different specs (viscosity, etc) so seeing both for Mazda5 is surprising. Maybe I should call Valvoline...

EDIT: Called Valvoline. A very helpful gentleman explained that the full synthetic MaxLife ATF is a type of product that due to quality of base stocks and additives will cover Mercon V and FNR5/M5 applications. Now, Valvoline Mercon V fluid I have at home is not MaxLife and not full synthetic and is not going to work -- different ATF and not spec'ed for this transmission. The rep also said that MaxLife ATF will work just fine in a drain & fill scenario even though what's in my pan is most likely the factory fill. I've had good success with D&F changes using Valvoline fluid in a different transmission so won't hesitate...

Last edited:
Thanks - excellent chart. It's still confusing to me. I've read that Mercon V and M-V have different specs (viscosity, etc) so seeing both for Mazda5 is surprising. Maybe I should call Valvoline...

EDIT: Called Valvoline. A very helpful gentleman explained that the full synthetic MaxLife ATF is a type of product that due to quality of base stocks and additives will cover Mercon V and FNR5/M5 applications. Now, Valvoline Mercon V fluid I have at home is not MaxLife and not full synthetic and is not going to work -- different ATF and not spec'ed for this transmission. The rep also said that MaxLife ATF will work just fine in a drain & fill scenario even though what's in my pan is most likely the factory fill. I've had good success with D&F changes using Valvoline fluid in a different transmission so won't hesitate...

All the work has been done long ago.
Here is a good thread on this: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-on-the-Mz5!&p=6163622&viewfull=1#post6163622

I've called both Valvoline and Castrol to get their statement in writing. (over email)
Personally I use Castrol because of the cost and so far over the few years is performed perfectly, I know many used Amsoil with same good results, not sure why reinvent the wheel :)

Last edited:
that's the name of the game: base stock and additives. It separates good from poor oil, be it transmission oil or motor oil.

Ask yourself this regarding oil, in general. Do you prefer to use regular, semi synthetic, or full synthetic motor oil? They all work, just there is a pricing condition tied to it based on quality of the base stock and additives. Same principle applies to transmission oil. There is a premium for a higher quality base stock (think higher cost to refine) and additives (chemicals are expensive) that will work better and last longer but obviously will cost you more. There is no free lunch and you get what you pay for. The million dollar question is: which one is the best ‘bang for the buck’ AND suite you needs?

that's the name of the game: base stock and additives. It separates good from poor oil, be it transmission oil or motor oil.

Ask yourself this regarding oil, in general. Do you prefer to use regular, semi synthetic, or full synthetic motor oil? They all work, just there is a pricing condition tied to it based on quality of the base stock and additives. Same principle applies to transmission oil. There is a premium for a higher quality base stock (think higher cost to refine) and additives (chemicals are expensive) that will work better and last longer but obviously will cost you more. There is no free lunch and you get what you pay for. The million dollar question is: which one is the best ‘bang for the buck’ AND suite you needs?

The thing that I am a bit unsure of is how Mercon V and Type M5 ATF can be covered by same product. I thought that the two had different viscosity levels at normal operating temps. Kind of like running 5w-20 oil in an engine spec'ed for, say, 20w-50. As good as a high grade 5w-20 oil is, it's typically not a good idea to run it if manufacturer recommends something dramatically different. Perhaps this is too technical and getting off topic but I'd like to learn more about it.

I think it is because the Maxlife full synthetic EXCEEDS the specs of the two products it can supplant. I believe thats what i read , back when I changed my fluid out a while back.

The thing that I am a bit unsure of is how Mercon V and Type M5 ATF can be covered by same product. I thought that the two had different viscosity levels at normal operating temps. Kind of like running 5w-20 oil in an engine spec'ed for, say, 20w-50. As good as a high grade 5w-20 oil is, it's typically not a good idea to run it if manufacturer recommends something dramatically different. Perhaps this is too technical and getting off topic but I'd like to learn more about it.
The difference is that they are not "dramatically" different. Different enough but not the 5w-20 vs 20w-50 example you gave.

Want to learn more? BITOG is your place. Start at post# 523694, then continue searching keywords and read on. You'll know more than you care too :)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=523691

Dare to compare:
Motorcraft Mercon V
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us184629us.pdf
Motorcraft FRN5 (aka Mazda's M-V)
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us175125us.pdf

The difference is that they are not "dramatically" different. Different enough but not the 5w-20 vs 20w-50 example you gave.

Want to learn more? BITOG is your place. Start at post# 523694, then continue searching keywords and read on. You'll know more than you care too :)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=523691

Dare to compare:
Motorcraft Mercon V
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us184629us.pdf
Motorcraft FRN5 (aka Mazda's M-V)
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us175125us.pdf

I enjoy BITOG very much - thanks for the link! Would you please repost the FNR5 PDS link? That's what I'm certainly missing. I've got PDS's for various Vavloline fluids which are helpful but haven't found something comparable on M-V/M5/FNR5 ATF.

Back