RED paint not matching

The wife had a small fender bender and the rear plastic bumper cover had to be replace, the problem I have is the paint is not matching , not even close (in my eyes). The paint shop agree to redo it but it's not guarantee to be exact. I understand but I see this as way off the mark.
20200407_101445.jpg
20200407_101513.jpg

wow, I agree, not even close !! that looks horrible!! their's look like a flat orange red like the old
CX-5 (2012-2015), not even close the the deep crystal red.

Looks like they pulled a bumper from a different MY or painted it off of the car and didn't bother to blend the paint. Soul red is a very tricky colour to paint match. Your paint shop may need to bring in a PPG rep to show them how to paint it correctly.

I had my rear quarter panels repainted in machine grey metallic, which is almost as complicated as soul red, and it came out perfectly because I confirmed ahead of time that the shop (which is primarily a Honda bodyshop) knew how to paint the colour.

I wonder if @batmancx has hit the nail on the head? They got the 'old' Soul Red paint mix instead of the 'new' 3-layer Soul Red Crystal?

If they don't guarantee they'll match the color, you should 'not guarantee' to pay them!

I wonder if @batmancx has hit the nail on the head? They got the 'old' Soul Red paint mix instead of the 'new' 3-layer Soul Red Crystal?

If they don't guarantee they'll match the color, you should 'not guarantee' to pay them!
Total for the repairs was $1,900, my portion ( deductible) is $500 which i have yet to pay, they told me they had to order more paint because they only had enough for the initial painting. I will mention this to them when I go back, we'll see what happens.

I think most colors get lighter with exposure to sun. It might get worse as it ages.

Do you happen to have any Soul red paint touch up? You could see how it compares to the two colors you now have.

Yeah, this is something that is not talked about much. I have a machine grey CX-9 and like you had to have my rear bumper replaced. First, the color was wrong - did not match at all - looked worse than yours! When they finally got it to match the paint bubbles up and is coming off. Mazda's colors are great but I don't think all places can replicate them.

Do not rely on the touch up paint for soul red crystal (paint code 46v) to match! I have a 2018 MX5 in SRC and neither the Mazda or Dr Colorchip touch up paint match.

Wade

Last edited:
That is AWFUL! I can't believe the shop released it like that, they can't be proud of that work. I'd definitely take it back and have them do whatever they need to do to fix it.

Took it back to the paint shop today, they took the old plastic bumper and painted different shades. The pictures of that side bumper cover piece has 2 shades , the one I looking is the bottom portion of that panel. This color looks perfect from one side and not so perfect from a different angle. They are getting advice from other shops for recommendations. They seem to know what they are doing but this paint is a challenge, they are also really trying to make it right. We'll see what happens.
MAZ1_LI.jpg
maz3.jpg
maz5.jpg
maz2.jpg

I'll say it again - the shop should speak directly with PPG after watching the video above to clarify the process and ensure that they are painting the colour correctly.

After three tries they finally got the color right,I am happy with the results. Here is before and after.
index.php
View attachment 224328:)

Glad you're happy with the result!

I would keep an eye on it over the next couple of days, and check out how the paint blends in with the rest of the car in different lighting conditions. SRCM is one of those colours that looks a little bit different in every kind of light.

Hi, don't mean to hijack this page, but I'm going through the similar problem as the OP. I'm trying to get my 20 cx5 soul red crystal's bumper repaint after a scratch and the paint came out too dark. In direct sunlight, it looks like it has an orange hue to it and looks lighter than the original paint and when its not under direct sunlight, it just looks a look a lot darker. The shop said the get their paint from PPG and is matching the manufacturer's specification but try to tell me that bumper is plastic and won't match the paint. I know the oem paint will fade a little but this car is under 2 years so it shouldn't be that big of a difference. They are going to redo it after they speak with the paint rep but any suggestions why the repaint looks so much darker? any suggestions will be appreciated as I can try to convey this to the shop. If the paint is matched correctly, is it a matter of the process where they're not spraying it right? Thank you.

20211210_085517.jpg
20211120_130707.jpg

One reason I use the repair shops on my insurance recommended list, though not required, is that if I go through an insurance approved shop the work is guaranteed. These are high-end shops, not ones that are in bed with the insurance company as the advertisements would have you believe

It is true that bumpers will never match exactly, because it's being painted on a different material and you can see that on any car you're looking the parking lot. However, the one in this example is way off

Agreed. I'm not looking for 100% match and does have my bar set a lower before the repaint but this looks bad. The shop does agreed to respray and they acknowledge that this is a tricky process but just want to see if there is any insight i can share with them so they can get better results with the respray as I don't think I can ask them to redo it again if this doesn't come out looking good enough (as they already did this 2x)

One reason I use the repair shops on my insurance recommended list, though not required, is that if I go through an insurance approved shop the work is guaranteed. These are high-end shops, not ones that are in bed with the insurance company as the advertisements would have you believe
My preference would be a dealer body shop, or if none in the area have one, the body shop a dealer uses for their own work. That would especially be the case with my Soul Red if I ever need work or for a like tricky paint in another vehicle. There's no guarantee, but a shop that works regularly on a maker's models increases the odds of getting experience behind the work.

The one time I used an insurance company's recommended body shop it was an unmitigated hack job, and not just the paint. Of course that was a long time ago, before the www and search engines, so it's probably easier today to figure out who is "high end". Still, there is the experience factor with particular cars and paints and I've not been disappointed with dealer recommended shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back