Recommendations on some good aftermarket P5 parts/brands/etc.

Mikeyman64

Zoomer
:
Atlanta
:
2002/2003.5 "MSP5"
Hello everyone,
I've posted here a couple times I think, however it's been so long, I'll treat this post as my first.

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful yellow 2002 Protege5 5spd. My father bought it brand new, and I have bought it from him since then as my first car. I've loved it so far.

I've taken car of it to the best of my ability, and I've done several things to it myself including, but not limited to, full clutch assembly swap, engine mount replacements, bumper work, sound system, interior mods etc. She runs great, to this day and still retains her roughly 27-30 mpg city mileage. ;)

Now that I have a semi-regular job, I would like to start dropping a bit of money in more than just maintenance and repairs. The first two additions that came to mind were an exhaust system, and an intake system.

Though I may have the balls (read: stupidity) to dive into a clutch swap without any formal mechanic education, I am very ignorant when it comes to intake/exhaust additions. So my questions for you all are as follows:

-Is swapping stock intake/exhaust systems with third party ones going to give me any practical advantages or disadvantages?

-Are there any other modifications or parts I should be looking into first?

-Are there any brands or styles of systems that are more preferable or compatible with my '02 P5?

-What are some of the better sources (either in quality or value) for the parts I may be purchasing?

Any other answers you guys may have for questions I should have asked, or for that matter answers made for someone else's questions that mirror mine (e.g. threads I should have searched for). Don't hesitate to add them as well. :)

Thanks,

-Ben

Last edited:
when I first started modding my first purchase was a TWM short shifter and shift knob. makes shifting a dream! Not to sure on the exhaust though so I would wait for someone else to reply.

AEM SRI or injen CAI or ebay intake w/decent filter. Highly recommend the "ebay" catback exhaust. After you do the intake and exhaust, you wont add much actual HP, but quicker throttle response, and a smoother powerband.

jackie chan, i know mine is an auto (boo). Would doing an exahust system let it run out a little more? It seems around 5500 it feels restricted, but has more to give. Same with the 5spds? Just curious and might help OP somehow

jackie chan, i know mine is an auto (boo). Would doing an exahust system let it run out a little more? It seems around 5500 it feels restricted, but has more to give. Same with the 5spds? Just curious and might help OP somehow

Upgrade your plugs and wires if you haven't already done so. I also recommend eBay cat back exhaust. As for intake I'd just go short ram, unless you live somewhere where puddles aren't a problem, then go cold air. With an exhaust and intake, the engine breathes easier and expels exhaust faster. Upgrading the plugs and wires will make the ignition like new. I have an auto but it's the sportmatic. I love it tho.

do an mtx swap (jk) but maybe..., As for intakes, it really doesnt matter what you do as long as it doesnt leak and youve got a good filter (AEM or K&N) on it. With an auto i'd suggest a cold air, cuz it gives a little more top end power. and If you have a more free flowing exhaust system, it will not only sound better, but it will also add some more power up top. That should help a little, and w/ a manny tranny youve got total control of when you shift. you could go up to 10000 rpm and make your engine have an explosive death if you really wanted to.

Back