Reception with Srius XM

eniahal

:
Mazda 2018 CX-5 GT Tech
Hello all, just got my 18' GT with tech for a little over three weeks. I enjoy the trial XM feature for the comedy channels they're offering. However, for some reason I've been experience alot of reception problemz like sound muting or cut offs in perfect weather conditions or rains. I live in downtown Vancouver area with not that many tall skyscrapers around. I wonder if this is just a common problem with all XM radio or just my car. Thanks guys!

It's fairly normal, although blockages around you can factor in it also depends on where you are in relation to the satellite (which you'll never know) I live in a very high elevation, which you think would get better reception right? Well we also have a lower population than some metropolis at sea level, so I get more cutting out here than when I lived in a more congested, lower elevation area. So some of it is to be expected, but you can also call XM if it really bothers you and they can send a reset signal and that might help if yours is having an issue

Hello all, just got my 18' GT with tech for a little over three weeks. I enjoy the trial XM feature for the comedy channels they're offering. However, for some reason I've been experience alot of reception problemz like sound muting or cut offs in perfect weather conditions or rains. I live in downtown Vancouver area with not that many tall skyscrapers around. I wonder if this is just a common problem with all XM radio or just my car. Thanks guys!

The further North you are, the more difficulty you will have. I live in SW Washington State and it goes out when I drive on North side of a hill or dense trees on that side.

If you pay attention, I bet you'll find places where it consistently drops. I have a couple of local radio stations in my favorites that I switch to when I know I'm going on a route that will have drop outs.

It's fairly normal, although blockages around you can factor in it also depends on where you are in relation to the satellite (which you'll never know) I live in a very high elevation, which you think would get better reception right? Well we also have a lower population than some metropolis at sea level, so I get more cutting out here than when I lived in a more congested, lower elevation area. So some of it is to be expected, but you can also call XM if it really bothers you and they can send a reset signal and that might help if yours is having an issue
Thanks for the heads up Bergz1184! I'll try to do a reset today on the way home.

The further North you are, the more difficulty you will have. I live in SW Washington State and it goes out when I drive on North side of a hill or dense trees on that side.

If you pay attention, I bet you'll find places where it consistently drops. I have a couple of local radio stations in my favorites that I switch to when I know I'm going on a route that will have drop outs.
Thanks for sharing your experience murky! I always thought satellite radio is going to have less reception problem as it's down from above but I guess nothing is perfect in life [emoji14]

Here is an interesting observation. I live in a city and my XM is fine. When I did road trips on the interstates to the country noticed the same incident you are reporting. Seemed strange to me especially since there were no buildings or rainy skys to cause interference.

Went into radio settings and turned off centerpoint and AudioPilot. For some reason seemed to resolve the sketchy XM reception issue.

I discovered this by accident trying to figure out how much of a difference these setting made in sound quality. Have no idea why this resolved my issue and have not had time to test which is the culprit. Since I really didnt notice a sound difference just keep them both off

Last edited:
Back