Reasons why a car might pull to a side?

:
Winnipeg Canada
:
2017 CX-9 GT
I've noticed my CX-9 pulls to the right. On the highway it will eventually drift to the right, usually fairly quickly once I let go of the wheel. From a standstill, it tends to pull hard to the right while accelerating, usually the faster I accelerate the harder it pulls. I can deal with it for the most part but I'm a little confused as to what might be causing this.

I have checked the tire pressure and had a 4 wheel alignment. Neither of those could be a suspect as they're bang on. Now it could be something like a sticky caliper but then I'd experience uneven brake wear and I'm not noticing any pulling while braking. I haven't checked the pads recently, but when I switched to summer tires they all seemed fine.

I hear no bad-bearing noises so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

So that leaves suspension and steering components, right? So maybe my tie rods are worn? Control arms perhaps? CV joint? I'll have to take some time to inspect the car in the next couple of weeks, just wondering what else I should check.

Just spitballing but maybe a dirty ABS sensor? Could be thinking your front right it moving just a bit too fast and pulsing the brakes lightly. Does wear on the tires look even?

You may need wheel alignment. When you go to wheel alignment, mechanic will let you know the status of tie rods or ...etc.

You may need wheel alignment. When you go to wheel alignment, mechanic will let you know the status of tie rods or ...etc.
That's exactly what I did. Had a 4 wheel alignment done at a local shop. They told me they had to make a very minor adjustment and it's totally within spec. And the wheels are fairly newish. I bought the car in January and who ever prepared it for sale must have changed tires as they seemed new to me at the time.

Try rotating the tires front to back, keep the sides the same--right front to right rear, left to left. A shifted belt inside the tire can cause what you describe, and it is not usually a tire safety issue. If this is the case keep the tires in a position where they don't cause a problem. You'll get a bit less tire life, but that's the best you can do. "...must have changed tires as they seemed new to me at the time." Maybe they are a real cheapo brand. Anyway, just wear them out.

Look at the spec sheet for the finished alignment. It'll be in-spec, but are the left and right side numbers the same or very close to the same? A poor alignment can be in-spec but not equal. You want the results very close to the center of the spec range, not wildly around the spec.

I agree it could be tires. Rotate the front tires from side to side and see if it pulls the other way. This will tell you if it is tires.

Dead on accurate re: tires as both 21cx5 and PTguy said. If alignment is perfect and the wheel is dead center but car still pulls, your tires are very suspect. Something as simple as much lower air pressure in the right front can also play a part and cause pulling but you said that was checked. Post the tire brand and model and we all will tell you if you should change them asap or if they are decent for time being. Definitely swap tires from right rear to right front and right front to right rear to confirm pull still present or not, and then from left front side to right side and see if it pulls in opposite direction. Also check to make sure the tires are not directional and are on the proper side of the car. Directional tires must rotate one way while driving and stay on the same side of the car when doing tire rotations. Any of these things can cause your problem.

Also, an alignment "within spec" is not the same as properly adjusted to be perfectly centered with toe angles in the middle so the car tracks straight ahead. Most shops do bad quick alignments and don't take the time to get things the best way possible because the don't care enough and know that the customer doesn't know any better. "Good enough" is their philosophy. I personally can't stand when I go in and pay to have a proper alignment done and ask them to make sure they make the wheel straight on when they do it, only to get the car back and the damn wheel is 3 or 4 degrees off to one side and when I to counter correct in order to drive with a straight wheel, it then pulls to the side. Pisses me off they can't do anything right. I'd do it myself if I had a rack.

Back