Rear window washer pump noise

tanda35

:
CX 5 Grand Touring 2017
Anyone else experiencing a very noisy washer pump noise when they go to wash their rear window? Mine used to be very quiet, now it makes a lot of racket when I activate the twist knob to wash the rear glass. I will report to dealer when I get my 10,000 mile service, but the problem is intermittent, so as always, it probably won't do it when checked by the tech.

Mines always been kinda loudish. I've just assumed that was normal.

Good point. I just got hearing aids so now I am hearing things that before used to be quiet. I am 8 months into my warranty, so plenty of time for it to fail under warranty.

Possibly, have to figure out where to install That fluid. My whiz bang know it all 22 y.o. car son was not sure. If all else fails, will check owners manual. Thanks.

Pretty sure its from the same tank as the front windshield. Front Left side of engine bay. If low have the dealer top off for free.

Possibly, have to figure out where to install That fluid. My whiz bang know it all 22 y.o. car son was not sure. If all else fails, will check owners manual. Thanks.

The windshield washer reservoir is under the hood. It services the front and rear windows.

When you pop the hood, it is on the right hand side. Clear reservoir, blue cap. Mine holds over 1 jug of fluid.

Mines usually kinda loud at first if I haven’t used it in a while. I also assumed it was normal as it was like that from new.

Did they change the location between model years?

In any case it has the windshield wash icon on the cap.

Anchorman is in the UK, so his driver's side is our passenger side silly. :p

Mines usually kinda loud at first if I haven’t used it in a while. I also assumed it was normal as it was like that from new.

Same.

He's right. The washer fluid doesn't "spray" on the rear window, it just runs straight down in a stream. Half of it is already below the window before the wiper blade even gets to it.

He's right. The washer fluid doesn't "spray" on the rear window, it just runs straight down in a stream. Half of it is already below the window before the wiper blade even gets to it.

Iwannacx5, I did observe that too, thus allowing the glass to be finely scratched with the dirt on the glass, before the wiper rubber picks up juice.

Yep. Same as on the Forester which I drove previously. Must be an issue of maintaining pressure and/or pump size required to get the amount of pressure needed to properly spray the back glass since the fluid has a much longer distance to travel from the front reservoir.

I wonder if they have a poorly engineered stop valve. We had an issue with the Fiesta from it dripping even when not in use which they had TSB for and updated part. With new part no dripping and it maintained pressure. Seems like the pump priming itself once it’s dropped is what we are hearing. I don’t seem to notice any dripping when not in use with the Mazda though.

Back