2017~2024 Rear hatch opening by itself?

My point is that there should be some way of turning the auto lift gate on or off.

I see, that point wasn't clear.
I'm not aware of any manufacturer that has that option on their keyfobs, so even if you never buy a Mazda again, you still wouldn't have a solution to your problem.
I suppose you could try removing the button from the keyfob to disable it? Certainly wouldn't be as easy as a simple lock switch though.

I have 2017 CX-5. The car was I. The garage with the garage door down. Car was locked. I went to open the garage door from the outside and the door stopped going up. The door stopped going up and jammed. I then opened the other garage door went into the garage to see that the Mazda lift gate opened against the opening door and bent the bottom of the lift gate. The fob must have come into contact with something else in my pocket and opened with out me knowing when I went to open the door from the outside. Went to my Mazda dealer and they could care less. Had no answers for me. Haven’t gotten it fixed yet, $700 to $800 to fix. I wouldn’t buy another Mazda.
Haha! You should probably also avoid Honda. They have a "feature" that opens your windows and sunroof by pressing something on the fob. There are many complaints on the CR-V forum about this. There is no way to disable it, either.

Attachments

• 61c2XQ1f47L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61c2XQ1f47L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 112
I found a video showing how to change the fob battery in my 2020 and took it one step further to reach the plastic spindle on the back of the tailgate open fob button and cut it off. Problem solved, I never used the fob to open the tailgate anyway.

This is very concerning. I drive a 2017 (GT w/Tech) while my brother drives a 2018 (GT w/Tech as well). One time he complained that when he went down to his driveway in the morning, he was surprised to find the rear hatch open. I dismissed him and didn't think much of it. A few months later he complained about the same thing again, and again I dismissed him.

Last night, I parked my car at the grocery store, clicked the lock button on my fob. Upon returning some 15 mins later I was horrified to see my rear hatch wide open. I often have about $25,000 worth of photography gear in there (yea, I know I shouldn't) so this really freaked me out.

I know for a fact that I did not open the hatch with the button inside the car or the fob. In order to open the hatch with the fob, the open hatch button (which is near the bottom of the fob as opposed to the top for the door lock function) needs to be pressed for 2 seconds or so and an audible sound is heard. I definitely didn't have any buttons pressed for an extended time and I definitely did NOT hear any beeping sound. Also, I was facing a huge glass window and had I triggered the open hatch function, I would see the reflection of the hazard lights in the window in front of me which are also triggered when opening the vehicle. Also, while in the grocery store, there is NO way I would've accidentally pressed AND HELD the open hatch button. The fob was dangling from my finger by its ring the entire time.

Doing some research, I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comments/6wmgwf/accidental_remote_trunk_opening/

The people responding to the OP in that post suggest it's the key fob, but from my own experience I know there was no way I could've triggered it by hitting AND HOLDING the open button.

Anyone else experience this? This could potentially be a big issue. We leave things in our cars and this could lead to serious loss of personal property.

I'm awaiting any input from other owners.

Regards
I have a 2021 Mazda cx5. My rear lift gate has come open by itself 6-7 times. I don’t believe the problem is as simple as sensitive key fob. I even bought a fob cover which didn’t help.
I have locked my doors and walked across the parking lot at Walmart, looked back to make sure rear hatch was closed. When I come back out, I find my hatch open. I took to dealership and they couldn’t find the cause.
I finally filed a report with NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. If anyone else has this problem please do the same.

I have a 2021 Mazda cx5. My rear lift gate has come open by itself 6-7 times. I don’t believe the problem is as simple as sensitive key fob. I even bought a fob cover which didn’t help.
I have locked my doors and walked across the parking lot at Walmart, looked back to make sure rear hatch was closed. When I come back out, I find my hatch open. I took to dealership and they couldn’t find the cause.
I finally filed a report with NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. If anyone else has this problem please do the same.
I hope nobody has "sniffed" your FOBs' unlock codes. I've read someone nearby with the proper equipment can intercept the codes and use them later to open the car.

I try to use the manual locking switch on next to the window control to lock the doors so this can't happen.

I hope nobody has "sniffed" your FOBs' unlock codes. I've read someone nearby with the proper equipment can intercept the codes and use them later to open the car.

I try to use the manual locking switch on next to the window control to lock the doors so this can't happen.
I’ve heard that too, but I learned that cars will actually use rolling codes. That should prevent security issues :D

All of my accidental openings have been traced back to the keyfob in my pants pocket or jacket pocket getting depressed.

When I get home the keyfob now goes on the table/dresser, etc. With new habit,
I now carry the keyfob in hand until inside the stores.

No more accidental openings.

They need to fix the overly sensitive keyfob which does trigger with just a slight brush/press sometimes.

Back