2017~2024 Rear Door bent, doesn't close fully. Repairs, what to expect?

Car noob here so pardon if the question sounds stupid. I backed into the parking spot which was right next to a wall. The rear door was open and the top inside of the door hit the wall. Now, the door is a bit bent and does not close fully. There is also some minor damage on the inside at the impact spot. Didn't see any visible damage near the hinges but I'm not an expert.

I'll take it to shops but any advice on what type of repairs I'm looking at? Would the whole door need to be replaced or does it look like it can be fixed fully without compromising the safety? Anything specific to keep in mind when I take it to shops for estimates? Lastly, should I take it to a dealer or an independent shop?

IMG_20210122_164155.jpg
IMG_20210122_164214.jpg

Any idea how much would that cost? Also, if I go to a dealer, would they have exact color (Jet Black) on hand or would they need to make it? Assuming, independent shops will definitely need to make their own paint to match this one.

Upvote 0
Good grief! You'll need a new door shell for sure which is just the shell and not guts which will transfer over from the old door plus new mouldings. Then repaint door and blend to front door and rear quarter. You're looking at a $2k job to do it right if nothing else damaged. File insurance claim and pay ded. Do not go to a dealer, they don't do the work they sub it out to a cheap shop and mark up the cost to you. Subpar work if you do that. Find a highly rated and reviewed independent body shop on Yelp and Google and go there.

Upvote 0
That really sucks. The overall cheapest fix might be to find a salvaged door. If you're lucky it would be the same color.

Upvote 0
Does Mazda have certified repair shops? None of the Mazda dealers in Seattle area have body shop. I'm now looking for independent body shops but would prefer if it's Mazda certified. But I can't find any from Google search.

Upvote 0
You can reshape the door - Open the door - with the glass down, create a gap by placing something between the door and the frame. Once the gap is there, push the top of the door in - you may be able to get to close properly.

Reactions: BWJ
Upvote 0
Does Mazda have certified repair shops? None of the Mazda dealers in Seattle area have body shop. I'm now looking for independent body shops but would prefer if it's Mazda certified. But I can't find any from Google search.
Use link below to find I-car gold certified shops that have properly trained repair techs

Upvote 0
Take it to a reputable body shop. They can price out a new OEM door or a used one from a wreck. Or, advise you if they repair the existing door. I had a used door installed on our 2018 Honda Civic vs new. They provided VIN, year and mileage of the donor vehicle. They used the inside guts and interior trim from my car and added it to the new/used door. It was a cost saving of about $900.

Wade

Upvote 0
Make sure they check the frame, impact could effect the bottom, top, left AND right around the door. That happened to a camry we had, price (repair) was so high they just totaled it...

Upvote 0
Thanks for input everyone! I took it to one shop and got an estimate of $2.2K for new door shell replacement. Going to try a couple more just to get a better idea. Have insurance with $500 deductible but thinking of paying out of pocket to avoid premium increase. Any idea if this damage would show up in the car's history/report even if I don't go through insurance?

Upvote 0
Shouldn't show up on a vincheck if you avoid insurance.. try a used door of the same color ebay (a lot of salvage yards post there/LKQ Online (call). find out how the 2.2k is computed.. (price for door vs labour etc, they usually do a print out). Then you can figure out savings of a used same color door and possibly having it paint matched later (if needed) if you want to keep the repair low. I see door shells on ebay 200-300 usd. Unless you just want to pay the quote

Upvote 0
I believe this would be a comprehensive claim in his insurance, not collision since no other person or vehicle is involved. Same as vandalism or parking lot hit and run. Shouldn't have any effect on rates

Upvote 0
^^^ This may be the case for damage stemming from a theft, vandalism, fire, or broken windows however, I believe your premiums would be affected because the accident (damage) was your direct fault and not someone else. Before filing a comprehensive claim check with your insurance.

Upvote 0
I called my insurance and the agent wasn't able to tell me clearly if my premiums would be affected. He just kept saying it depends on a number of factors and I won't find out until my insurance is up for renewal. Anyway, I've decided to pay it out of pocket. Also, probably helps keep the damage out of car's history which might otherwise result in the car's value being diminished.

Upvote 0
@jcosmosstar , since not filing a claim with your insurer to keep rates low seems to be a priority for you, have you considered raising your deductible to a higher level ($2k-$3k) and save money om your premium since you plan on paying losses less than that anyway?

Upvote 0
Back