2013~2016 Rear bumper protector WITHOUT upturned ends?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Has anyone seen a 2013-2016 CX5 rear bumper sill protector that extends over the edge of the rear bumper, but is basically flat when looking at it from the edge? Without the ends upturned like many of them you see on eBay. I installed one with the upturned ends, and unfortunately the ends are not adhering to the bumper like they should. They have pulled away and are rubbing the edge of the tail gate. I see no purpose in having the protector strip upturned like that. A flat one with just a little lip on the edge to protect the hard edge of the bumper would be sufficient.

I can't help you on the other options, but any chance you can get some good, double-sided tape to hold the ends down? Something like 3M VHB tape.

I can't help you on the other options, but any chance you can get some good, double-sided tape to hold the ends down? Something like 3M VHB tape.
The whole piece I have installed now came with 3M tape all around it. I was very, very careful about prep before install, being sure to fully clean the entire bumper surface where the tape would be adhering. But the curved ends I guess don't quite match the curvature of the bumper and have caused the tape to pull away on both ends.

Something like this is what I'm looking for. Is it possible that this could fit both 2013-2016 and 2017-up rear bumpers? Is the curvature the same or close enough on both?

When I looked at the link it says 2013-2021. Are you concerned maybe they're not completely accurate?

It looks like the one Mazda should have made standard equipment, if you ask me.

It uses double stick tape too.

FWIW, there are two different Mazda part numbers for the bumper cover, so perhaps @Mazdiod2 is correct.

0000-8T-R13 (2013-2016)
0000-8T-R10 (2017-2021)

For all aftermarket pieces that use 3M like double stick foam tape, I have had to apply "reinforcements" including an aftermarket stainless steel bumper cover.

Let us know how your fitment works out!
1611170424915.png

My aftermarket bumper cover was "stainless steel", but it started rusting after five years. I replaced that cover with a real Mazda cover after 7 years. The Mazda OEM cover was shorter so it did not sit on the "upturn" like aftermarket cover. That aftermarket cover also scratched the bumper paint as the ends dug into the paint over time in the "upturn" area. The Mazda fit precisely on the flat part, and included a template to ensure even fit.

When I looked at the link it says 2013-2021. Are you concerned maybe they're not completely accurate?

It looks like the one Mazda should have made standard equipment, if you ask me.

It uses double stick tape too.
Yes I'm concerned about a part saying it fits all 2013-2021 since all the body panels are different between generations.

I do not like the OEM parts because they don't extend down over the rear edge of the bumper. IMHO that makes the part basically useless if it doesn't protect the hard edge. Our bumper cover has a few nicks and scratches in that edge, so besides protecting the edge I'm looking for something that will cover up those ugly nicks in the paint.

Yes I'm concerned about a part saying it fits all 2013-2021 since all the body panels are different between generations.

I do not like the OEM parts because they don't extend down over the rear edge of the bumper. IMHO that makes the part basically useless if it doesn't protect the hard edge. Our bumper cover has a few nicks and scratches in that edge, so besides protecting the edge I'm looking for something that will cover up those ugly nicks in the paint.
Same here. I think this brand is sold on some other web sites, maybe Wallmt or Amazon. Maybe they have some reviews with the 17-21 model.

There's this thick rubbery glue they use to stick magnets and stuff on phone books and other advertising pieces. It holds pretty well but you can peel it off. I wonder if that would work.

There's this thick rubbery glue they use to stick magnets and stuff on phone books and other advertising pieces. It holds pretty well but you can peel it off. I wonder if that would work.
No, it would just stretch the stuff out. In order to fix the one I have, I think I would need to remove it and heat up the plastic to try to bend the ends outward just slightly. Then attach new 3M tape. Maybe I’ll give that a try.

I have a "brand name" transparent protector and it goes over the edge. Installation is same as headlight protectors or tint. Little bit of baby shampoo, some alcohol and a squeegee to finish the work. Sticks perfect. May be look into those. 3m has very good ones. I also put same on my headlights.
Holding great for more than 2 yrs.

I have a "brand name" transparent protector and it goes over the edge. Installation is same as headlight protectors or tint. Little bit of baby shampoo, some alcohol and a squeegee to finish the work. Sticks perfect. May be look into those. 3m has very good ones. I also put same on my headlights.
Holding great for more than 2 yrs.
Might do that if the rear bumper looked halfway decent. But it's got a few gouges and crappy attempts at touch-up paint from the previous owner, which is why I'm trying to cover it up.

I put this on last summer. As opposed to tape around the sides, paper peals off to expose the entire back of the bumper cover has an adhesive on it. I definitely wanted something that folded down over the back ledge - it seems like most don't. Still looks this good today. Rather than hunt for my original pics, here's the thread, and the link to the item. A search on ebay using cx-5 black bumper cover.

I put this one on last June and even though the ends turn up, it is not showing any signs of letting loose. It's been thru the heat of summer and a couple of months of freezing winter.

20200613_124352.jpg

I put this one on last June and even though the ends turn up, it is not showing any signs of letting loose. It's been thru the heat of summer and a couple of months of freezing winter.

View attachment 294493

yeah that one definitely doesn't come up as far as on my 2014. Mine actually comes up the sides of the tailgate slightly, and the ends are now rubbing on the edge of the tailgate, leaving marks.

Do the ends turn up because of the length?

So a shorter one might not?

Right, I want one that's shorter, i.e. not as wide.

I put this on last summer. As opposed to tape around the sides, paper peals off to expose the entire back of the bumper cover has an adhesive on it. I definitely wanted something that folded down over the back ledge - it seems like most don't. Still looks this good today. Rather than hunt for my original pics, here's the thread, and the link to the item. A search on ebay using cx-5 black bumper cover.

so that one is more like a CF film, right?

Back