2013~2016 Rear bumper protector issue?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I just got one of these bumper guards for our 2014 last week, but when I test fit it, it has these 2 protrusions on the bottom that seem like it will prevent the double sided 3M tape from making contact in those areas. Seems to fit well otherwise. Has anyone seen this before?

4BFEEB8A-E58C-421F-920E-D1A0A32118CA.jpeg

CE86264A-70EC-47BD-AF7D-BBEBA374CC43.jpeg

That is interesting. Does it seem like the bumper guard will interfere with opening or closing the hatch?
I am considering a bumper guard but they seem to have some issues.
Can you use a glue or other adhesive?

It looks like your bumper guard extends farther under the taillights than others.

This is the product I purchased. The protrusions pictured above are at the very far ends of the guard, near the lower edge where it wraps over the edge of the bumper, behind those chrome strips. It does not appear that it will interfere with the hatch opening and closing, but it does look like it will prevent the 3M tape from making full contact with the bumper surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Well I feel dumb. I thought those pieces were molded into the plastic, but they’re actually stuck on, intended to be removed and placed in the cutouts for the parking sensors, for cars that don’t have the sensors. I got it all installed today and it looks great!

EBEEBA35-6252-467F-A7AA-06AAF7F996E3.jpeg

Looks good and looks like it provides more coverage than some.
Do you think the tape will hold tight?

Looks good and looks like it provides more coverage than some.
Do you think the tape will hold tight?

It seems very tight. I did a bit of sanding on some of the gouges that were in the plastic, and also wiped it very well, multiple times, with 50/50 IPA/distiller water mixture in a spray bottle, to ensure proper adhesion.

Back