Rear Brake Caliper Adjustment

jhines142

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I know this has come up VERY often as our rear brake calipers are suuuuper finicky. Ill try to be as un-noob-ish as possible. I know to properly adjust the rear calipers is to turn the allen key until the pads grip the rotor, then back off up to a full turn max to keep the brakes from dragging. I've done that, however, the pads still sound like they are dragging against the rotor with the wheel on tight and the ebrake off (meaning not hooked up at all. Keep in mind this is a new caliper and the adjustment screw works as it should. Do i keep backing off the screw until the wheel spins freely or tighten down and then back off like the HOW TO on this forum says to do (and per service manual)?

hm i had to replace both mine a few weeks back and did exactly that and they were fine , however it took about 45 pulls on the e brake to get it working right again. maybe you have one witha defective adjuster

They both adjust fine........did u notice that they dragged a little before they adjusted themselves

Update: brakes, so far, are working as they should. Now to save up for pads and rotors all the way around.

Back