Ready for a 2nd-Gen Seven-Seater Mazda CX-5?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
According to Auto Express, new 5th-gen Honda CR-V scheduled to release for MY 2018 would grow with seven seats. Nissan Rogue offers the 3rd row seating in current generation and the sales grew 44.17% to 287,190 units in 2015. Honda CR-V has been the best seller in US compact CUV market for many years, and sold 345,647 units in 2015. Do you think Mazda should follow suit and design a 3rd row seating for their upcoming 2nd-gen CX-5?

On the side note, Honda is going to not only offer 1.5 i-VTEC turbos found on new Civic, but also a 9-speed automatic transmission in Euro market. I believe that CVT stays on CR-V in US market which is unfortunate. And here are some spy photos of 5th-gen Honda CR-V:

honda-cr-v-002.jpg

honda-cr-v-008.jpg

HON-05.jpg

If they include a third row of seats they will only be offering 2.5 motor as minimum which represents more $$$$. I think that is CX9 market with its 3.7 motor

Sent from my LG-D400 using Tapatalk

If they include a third row of seats they will only be offering 2.5 motor as minimum which represents more $$$$. I think that is CX9 market with its 3.7 motor

You're a little behind here Panaplayer. 3.7 ltr V-6 is no more. 2017 CX-9 has 2.5 ltr turbo four.

The slope of the roof in the rear would make a practical third row difficult. Part of the reason that the cr-v is so ugly is because they squared it off back there.

Here's a picture of the Rogue's. Just how useful is this??

15-Rogue-third-row-detail.jpg

Agree with everyone else, I would not be interested in a 3rd row seat.....give me about 15-25 more ponies and a slightly better sounding Bose system and I'm 100% happy instead of just 99.5% happy!!

3rd-row seating in compact CUVs is great for the kids though. I still miss the rear-facing 3rd-row seats in the good old station wagon! It's an optional equipment, and you can always fold it and hide it if you don't need it. And price structure has to be competitive as a compact CUV like Nissan Rogue does. Honda must think the available 3rd row seating on Nissan Rogue is one of the big reasons Rogue's sales jumped 44.17% last year!

What happens when you have kids sitting back there and you get rear-ended? With 3 rows in a CUV there's not a whole lot of distance from the rear bumper to that 3rd row.

3rd-row seating in compact CUVs is great for the kids though. I still miss the rear-facing 3rd-row seats in the good old station wagon! It's an optional equipment, and you can always fold it and hide it if you don't need it. And price structure has to be competitive as a compact CUV like Nissan Rogue does. Honda must think the available 3rd row seating on Nissan Rogue is one of the big reasons Rogue's sales jumped 44.17% last year!

Is it the third row seat that led to the huge sales growth, or the overall refresh... I would guess the latter.

I think its one of those things that just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Even children would be uncomfortable back there.

You mean the Mazda 5 that's out of production? How 'bout the CX-9.
CX-9 is equivalent to Honda's Pilot and Toyota's Highlander, not the same class on size and price with Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue.

If it sells and helps keep Mazda alive, then go for it. I think its kind of impractical to shove a third row seat back there and take up all that cargo room, but I can see peeps living in the city with limited space that might need a third row for the kids.

Back