Rattle, noise front door driver and passenger door Bose speakers (2015 CX-5)

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Good day,

For quite some time, over a year, I have had an inconsistent *awful* rattle in my front door speakers. Sometimes it did it with radio but not with USB, sometimes cold, warm, left, right. It drove me nuts (NUTS!) as I could not reproduce it. In the end I could get rid of it by reducing bass to 0. I could eventually reproduce it on demand when turning bass up.

Anyhow, through help here Paul's Travel Pictures I was able to sort it out.

I ordered this from Amazon which was perfect (and thankfully had 20 extra clips because I had to take one door off 3 times and the 2nd door off 2 times and each time broke clips).

Anyhow, the problem is the bottom of both door speakers do rust (on the back side), separating the speaker from the metal frame and that is what causes the problem. Poor design - boo Mazda and/or Bose (I think it's more of a Mazda problem for allowing moisture to get in there).
20190406_121851.jpg
Also watched some videos to see, easier than pictures.

Dealer was no help - whatsoever, honestly how can they not know? This is a problem for all Mazda's for a 5 year time span and there is a TSB. ARGH. They wanted $140 per hour to remove the doors and I am pretty sure they wouldn't fix the speakers they would have replaced so somewhere in the $500+ range.

Advice for others: This is easy to do (I've never removed trim before). Some use crazy glue to fix the speaker but I thought there is nothing to help press the pieces together because the front of the speaker is in the way and I would end up gluing myself to it. So I used pure clear silicone which worked great. #2 - when reinstalling the door ensure the rubber by the window is seated properly - this is why I had to keep redoing it. The new vehicles have a tab for this but on 2015 and previous you just have to tilt it up and push it down first before putting the panel back on. Look at other window to ensure distance. If you do it wrong everything still works but there is a gap on the inside rubber trim between the trim and window.

I just want to add to this that our 2015 passenger door speaker started the horrible buzz/rattle so I followed this guys video and fixed it - Exactly the same as above - the speaker starts getting surface rust which makes the paint flake off between the speaker and the frame.
A big of scraping away the paint and I glued the speaker to the frame with the glue he recommends and its been going really well and sounds as good as new for 6 months since.

Back