Mazda3 2.5T Quick questions about the new Mazda3 Turbo

First one is about rear suspension - does anyone know if the 2021 turbo has independent rear suspension? Because 2019 Mazda3 rear suspension sucks and I struggle with this everyday.

Second question is about the automatic parking brake that comes on every time I start the ignition. Can this setting be turned off on the 2021 Mazda3?

Anyone?

It is one thing to keep a car that has above flaws but it's a completely different situation when considering a purchase of a new one with these flaws.

1. As far as I know it is the same suspension set-up in the rear.

2. Reading the owner manual it can only be turned off temporarily (ex for maintenance or to push the car by hand) and would restore at the next engine on cycle. (ref 1 below)

That being said, what is your concern with the automatic parking brake ? If it is the fact that you would rather not have to press the button to release it overtime you don't need to. The mazda 3 also has an automatic parking brake release. If you put the car in drive or reverse and press the accelerator, the parking brake will disengage. (ref 2 below)

ref 1:
Canceling the parking brake automatic operation

The parking brake automatic operation can be canceled by doing any of the following after switching the ignition from ON to OFF.

Auto operation cancel method 1

1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Press the EPB switch continuously for 2 seconds or longer (until a sound is activated).
  4. Release the EPB switch and switch the ignition OFF within 5 seconds after the sound was activated.
    After the auto operation is canceled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light switches from illumination to flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.
Auto operation cancel method 2

1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Switch the ignition OFF with the EPB switch pressed.
    When the auto operation is canceled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light from normal flashing to faster flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.

Close Note
open_close_btn.png

When the ignition is switched ON, the parking brake auto operation is restored.

ref 2:
Releasing the parking brake automatically

If the accelerator pedal is depressed with the parking brake applied and all of the following conditions met, the parking brake is released automatically. When the parking brake is released, the EPB indicator light in the instrument cluster and the EPB switch indicator light turn off.

• The engine is running.
  • The driver's door is closed.
  • The driver's seat belt is fastened.
  • (Manual transmission vehicle)
    • The shift lever is in a position other than neutral.
    • The clutch pedal is depressed halfway.
  • (Automatic transmission vehicle)
    The selector lever is in the D, M, or R position.

I think it is the same rear suspension. How exactly is the rear suspension causing you to struggle?

It is still a non-independent torsion beam axle setup according to Mazda's website.

1. As far as I know it is the same suspension set-up in the rear.

2. Reading the owner manual it can only be turned off temporarily (ex for maintenance or to push the car by hand) and would restore at the next engine on cycle. (ref 1 below)

That being said, what is your concern with the automatic parking brake ? If it is the fact that you would rather not have to press the button to release it overtime you don't need to. The mazda 3 also has an automatic parking brake release. If you put the car in drive or reverse and press the accelerator, the parking brake will disengage. (ref 2 below)

Thanks for all replies, you put a lot of effort in that, but the parking brake remains the most annoying thing I have ever experienced on my car. Maybe it's because of the switch that doesn't take the command every time, maybe it's because the system doesn't take it and maybe it's because you simply can't turn it off immediately after seating yourself in. I don't care. It doesn't work right. I hate it. It pisses me off. I want it gone. Long time ago one person here smartly commented that instead of playing with the switch you just press the gas pedal to the floor and the car takes care of the brake by itself. So I am doing that more often than not.

This is a flaw and once I heard about the Turbo version - my first though was - did they fix the f*ing parking brake? not about Turbo, not about the 250 ponies, not about how much it costs, but "did they fix the f*ing parking brake?"

So to cut it all short - I will probably take a look at the car, I will probably take it out for a spin, but that parking brak will probably stop me from buying it. I am already looking at a Lexus replacement so chances are I will get that.

The torsion suspension is annoying, because roads are not straight and in some spots the car just wanders left to right back and forth and you can't do much about it - as the rear is not adjustable and the alignment can't fix that. I learned that it helps to pump it up to 37 PSI and it's better at that pressure, but it doesn't have a feel of a car that want's to keep the road straight at fast speed.
This forces me to be really focused and I can't take off a hand off the steering for even a fraction of a second. It makes the car impractical and not fit for longer trips. The dealer of course says it's perfect and there is nothing to worry about - so fine. I am not worried. I will not buy another one like that.

So these are the flaws. That torsion suspension is not that terrible as the parking brake, but nevertheless it's a flaw. Both of these flaws are making me search for a replacement.

I could live with the torsion suspension because I only commute to work back an forth and the commute is short - but if I had to do longer trips - I would not take the Mazda3 - but rather the CX-5 that is more stable.

Thanks for all replies, you put a lot of effort in that, but the parking brake remains the most annoying thing I have ever experienced on my car. Maybe it's because of the switch that doesn't take the command every time, maybe it's because the system doesn't take it and maybe it's because you simply can't turn it off immediately after seating yourself in. I don't care. It doesn't work right. I hate it. It pisses me off. I want it gone. Long time ago one person here smartly commented that instead of playing with the switch you just press the gas pedal to the floor and the car takes care of the brake by itself. So I am doing that more often than not.

This is a flaw and once I heard about the Turbo version - my first though was - did they fix the f*ing parking brake? not about Turbo, not about the 250 ponies, not about how much it costs, but "did they fix the f*ing parking brake?"

So to cut it all short - I will probably take a look at the car, I will probably take it out for a spin, but that parking brak will probably stop me from buying it. I am already looking at a Lexus replacement so chances are I will get that.

The torsion suspension is annoying, because roads are not straight and in some spots the car just wanders left to right back and forth and you can't do much about it - as the rear is not adjustable and the alignment can't fix that. I learned that it helps to pump it up to 37 PSI and it's better at that pressure, but it doesn't have a feel of a car that want's to keep the road straight at fast speed.
This forces me to be really focused and I can't take off a hand off the steering for even a fraction of a second. It makes the car impractical and not fit for longer trips. The dealer of course says it's perfect and there is nothing to worry about - so fine. I am not worried. I will not buy another one like that.

So these are the flaws. That torsion suspension is not that terrible as the parking brake, but nevertheless it's a flaw. Both of these flaws are making me search for a replacement.

I could live with the torsion suspension because I only commute to work back an forth and the commute is short - but if I had to do longer trips - I would not take the Mazda3 - but rather the CX-5 that is more stable.

You don't need to press it to the floor. If all conditions are met in Ref 2 as @youri posted, you just put it in gear and as soon as you apply some throttle, the parking brake disengages. If it doesn't, and you actually need to floor the gas pedal, something is obviously wrong with the car and you need to take it to the dealer (if it's still under warranty).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're frustrated with the parking brake because the electronic switch doesn't work like you want it to, and you can't permanently turn off the automatic parking brake. But again, as posted previously, the parking brake automatically disengages when the conditions are met, and you never have to touch the parking brake switch (unless you want to turn it on).

If you're convinced that the current parking brake operation is flawed, you might as well skip the test drive because I'm sure it hasn't changed. Be sure to check the other vehicles you're considering for electronic parking brakes too - chances are they function the same way. Good luck.

Interesting.
i don’t have a mazda 3, but in my Cx-9 the parking brake release button always works fine. I come from standard transmission cars though so putting the parking brake on and releasing it before leaving is second nature to me.

It sounds like the natural stability of the car is what you are concerned about for the suspension set-up (i.e having the car track straight when letting go off the steering wheel). There is always a trade-off in vehicle design between stability and « eagerness to turn ». Looks like mazda went for the second one. Usually you can kind of adjust that behaviour through wheel alignment, but if i understand what you are saying, the torsion beam set up in the rear is preventing you to achieve that result (torsion beam suspension have more limited alignment adjustability). That being said, even though the dealer says that your car is whiting specs, those alignments specs are usually quite wide, and a good independent shop may be able to provide you with a front wheel alignment that may be more suitable to your liking while remaining not too far off or within OEM specs.

Nothing wrong with your concerns. These are valid personal preferences point and yes the mazda 3 turbo should pretty much be the exact same car when it comes to those.

Forgot to ask, which market are you in ? (North America, Europe, etc)

"but it sounds like you're frustrated with the parking brake because the electronic switch doesn't work like you want it to"

Yes and no.
Oh yes, I am very frustrated with the parking brake. I can't understand why some schmuck designer at Mazda would force me to keep pushing the button every time I start up the car. Why didn't they come up with a better way? Why would I even need a parking brake on - while most roads here are flat like a table top? My 2018 CX5 doesn't have that ON by default! So it was doable. But the schmucks choose to force me to it. That's why I am keeping my CX5 and the Mazda3 is offered for sale.

And no - I am not frustrated with the switch that doesn't work like I expected. I don't want that function on by default. Period. I want the whole concept of pushing the button out of the picture entirely. It's not a switch failure problem frustration. It's a function frustration.

I tried to get accustomed to it - but it did not happen. After 17 months of driving like that I have had enough of it.

Interesting.
i don’t have a mazda 3, but in my Cx-9 the parking brake release button always works fine. I come from standard transmission cars though so putting the parking brake on and releasing it before leaving is second nature to me.

It sounds like the natural stability of the car is what you are concerned about for the suspension set-up (i.e having the car track straight when letting go off the steering wheel). There is always a trade-off in vehicle design between stability and « eagerness to turn ». Looks like mazda went for the second one. Usually you can kind of adjust that behaviour through wheel alignment, but if i understand what you are saying, the torsion beam set up in the rear is preventing you to achieve that result (torsion beam suspension have more limited alignment adjustability). That being said, even though the dealer says that your car is whiting specs, those alignments specs are usually quite wide, and a good independent shop may be able to provide you with a front wheel alignment that may be more suitable to your liking while remaining not too far off or within OEM specs.

Nothing wrong with your concerns. These are valid personal preferences point and yes the mazda 3 turbo should pretty much be the exact same car when it comes to those.

Forgot to ask, which market are you in ? (North America, Europe, etc)

I am in Los Angeles. The older cars did not have parking brake on by default. Maybe yours is like that. That parking brake on auto started in 2019. Maybe Mazda doesn't make enough cars to satisfy the massive demand in North America - so they decided to limit the amount of customers by introducing software traps and surprises. I kind of understand that. It makes perfect sense.
Someone has to promote competing products. It has to be a new way of doing things. Hiroshima way.

"but it sounds like you're frustrated with the parking brake because the electronic switch doesn't work like you want it to"

Yes and no.
Oh yes, I am very frustrated with the parking brake. I can't understand why some schmuck designer at Mazda would force me to keep pushing the button every time I start up the car. Why didn't they come up with a better way? Why would I even need a parking brake on - while most roads here are flat like a table top? My 2018 CX5 doesn't have that ON by default! So it was doable. But the schmucks choose to force me to it. That's why I am keeping my CX5 and the Mazda3 is offered for sale.

And no - I am not frustrated with the switch that doesn't work like I expected. I don't want that function on by default. Period. I want the whole concept of pushing the button out of the picture entirely. It's not a switch failure problem frustration. It's a function frustration.

I tried to get accustomed to it - but it did not happen. After 17 months of driving like that I have had enough of it.

Mazda sells cars in hilly and mountainous areas too.

You don't have to push any buttons. Yes, the park brake is engaged upon startup by default, but it will automatically disengage upon throttle input if the engine is running, the doors are closed, your seatbelt is fastened and the car is in any gear other than Park or Neutral.

I think you should read this excellent review of the 2019 Mazda 3. This is the year during which the new suspension was introduced, and the article provides some great insight as to its advantages.

Mazda sells cars in hilly and mountainous areas too.

You don't have to push any buttons. Yes, the park brake is engaged upon startup by default, but it will automatically disengage upon throttle input if the engine is running, the doors are closed, your seatbelt is fastened and the car is in any gear other than Park or Neutral.

And I can confirm this. In the new 2.5 T sedan, it will disengage when you start to go. The 2.5T sedan by the way is a really nice car. Still waiting for the hatch but I personally would not mind the sedan. Also, not sure what you are talking about concerning the car "wandering". I am in SC, where the roads are terrible and find the new 3 to out handle to old 3 easily (have a 2017 Mazda 3). Are you saying the car feel out of alignment?

A little throttle disengages the Ebrake. Coming from a BMW 2016 X1 ,,,, I am loving this car. Looking forward for my 500 miles break in period then I will try to have some fun.

Yes and no.

I have a 2019 Mazda 6 and the EPB engages automatically (locks) when you shift the gear into Park but only when you have activated the brake hold feature during your drive. If you don’t use the BH feature and put gear into park, the car doesn’t engage the EPB. So, when you start the car the next morning, you don’t need to disengage the EPB.

My advice is: when you are finally parking the vehicle, ensure to turn off the BH feature so the EPB doesn’t engage automatically. I am not 100% sure though as I don’t own a 3 but if it works the same as my 6 then the tip I gave you might work. Unless, Mazda programmed the 3 differently like the 2020 Corolla when the EPB engages automatically every time your put it in Park which can be annoying.

Back